• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

croakerfish

pilot
Some updated chow hall info/advice from someone a week from Candio phase (Feel free to PM me questions but I'm not on here every day):

All chow hall food is now unlocked as soon as you start OCS except soda/dessert/coffee
No more eating by the numbers
You have a spoon and knife and fork to eat with as soon as you start

As stupid as this sounds, eating by the numbers was by far the most hated part of OCS for me. I was pretty damn hungry the first week or so.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Yay! Now I can finally be one of the curmudgeons who grumbles about how much tougher OCS was in "the old days!" ........the old days in March 2013
"Private bathrooms/showers, eating like a human being, unlocked chow? Officer candidates these days are so spoiled. Back in my day, you had to EARN that peanut butter."

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Can you sit back in your chair, too? This is madness.

In theory you are supposed to sit on the front third of your chair, but no one does because there isn't enough room. Also, you are supposed to align the back legs of your chair when your class sits down (class team specific, my class didn't) which makes sitting on the front third impossible most of the time.

Really though, OCS still sucks despite the changes. I was in Newport long enough to see the change myself, and other folks in student pool/med hold told me about the changes they saw before I even got there. I really wouldn't mind if they gave New Nimitz to the other OTCN programs and put the regiment in King Hall. That would actually make for a better training environment than the new building. And I don't mean from a luxury/difficulty standpoint, but because New Nimitz is barely big enough to support four OCS classes at a time (if they ever wanted to make OCS bigger, that building could be a bottleneck), and doesn't have the layout of King/old Nimitz that lets each company have its own isolated p-way. Even King has other rooms that could be used for many of the functions of the old 2/3rd deck NAPS classrooms that New Nimitz lacks.

Nuknfuts

In theory you are supposed to sit on the front third of your chair, but no one does because there isn't enough room. Also, you are supposed to align the back legs of your chair when your class sits down (class team specific, my class didn't) which makes sitting on the front third impossible most of the time.

Really though, OCS still sucks despite the changes. I was in Newport long enough to see the change myself, and other folks in student pool/med hold told me about the changes they saw before I even got there. I really wouldn't mind if they gave New Nimitz to the other OTCN programs and put the regiment in King Hall. That would actually make for a better training environment than the new building. And I don't mean from a luxury/difficulty standpoint, but because New Nimitz is barely big enough to support four OCS classes at a time (if they ever wanted to make OCS bigger, that building could be a bottleneck), and doesn't have the layout of King/old Nimitz that lets each company have its own isolated p-way. Even King has other rooms that could be used for many of the functions of the old 2/3rd deck NAPS classrooms that New Nimitz lacks.

Yeah it's been getting filled up crazy - the 4 current classes there are each in the 80-90+ range and you've got to add in the H-ers and Med Hold people there

And even with all the changes, I'm sure the class teams will just end up finding new ways to get people.... well for one, start by moving those sand pits on over to new Nimitz...

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
They were there when I left in July; H-class and med hold shared a wing on the first floor, but there was talk of moving med hold to King Hall, to give them a better environment for healing or something like that.

m26

Contributor
That's where they were when I was there, IIRC. It was at least a quieter environment...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yeah it's been getting filled up crazy - the 4 current classes there are each in the 80-90+ range and you've got to add in the H-ers and Med Hold people there
That's a whole lot of people shoved naked into the shower stall/scrubbing underwear on the floor at one time on wakeup Wed.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
DI turns on cold water. You get in shower stall hunched over and scrub your underwear on the deck. He yells scrub, you yell harder.
Ooh, yikes. Reminds me of a certain DI who would spray his class with a garden hose while they were getting SUYA'ed.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Not that I know of. I'd heard it from the candio's from 09 Alpha Company. If he didn't do it to them, he must've told them about doing it to a previous class.

The hoses went away shortly before you guys got there. Which I never understood, because I'm sure summer classes would have liked the cool off. Visits to the sand pits in general used to be a lot more common, I'm told. One chief told us that one of his classes about two years ago used to have 20 minutes to fill their p-way with sand, then they'd get SUYA'd indoors, and then they'd have 20 minutes to clean it. Amazingly, they could do it. He also said once they had a 'gear adrift problem' so they threw all of their clothes into the kill zone, covered them with detergent, and then planted the guidon in the middle so they could get it out. "It looked like friggin' Iwo Jima and made for a good class t-shirt" or something like that.

They were there when I left in July; H-class and med hold shared a wing on the first floor, but there was talk of moving med hold to King Hall, to give them a better environment for healing or something like that.

Good. The whole rationale for having them over there was like "The DORs in King Hall have bad attitudes that rub off on the med holders!" - apparently a med holder who quit was partially egged on by a DOR or something. They also used to have much more loose liberty rules etc for med holders - dunno why that changed. I think the med holders would be better off in King. The student pool candios are dedicated folks - people who are willing to hang around for months after graduation to get a new designator. And most of the DORs are like "eh, it wasn't for me" and aren't particularly bitter about it. If anything, student pool would be a better influence on med hold than having to be around miserable old H-class all the time. Or, on a more practical level, there is space in King Hall and not as much in Nimitz.