• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
The class sizes for a while were up to 100, then they changed them to 50 max and did not go above, then they became kind of flexible on the sizes going up past 50 so besides the reason mentioned above they might be trying to balance the sizes out again over the year.

To add to my previous post, another DI has shown up. I'm sure some people were surprised to see her.

Based on class numbering I've seen here on AW and elsewhere, they must have taken new classes more often than every three weeks like they do now, so a size cap of 50 would have been workable. Also, if a class gets bigger than 60 they normally split them into two companies each with their own class team, which makes for competition and all that fun stuff. If you didn't have a sister company to compete against, you missed out on a big part of the OCS experience that I had.

....I really need to class up so I can stop thinking about OCS and move on to doing big-boy Navy things.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
To add to my previous post, another DI has shown up. I'm sure some people were surprised to see her.

Based on class numbering I've seen here on AW and elsewhere, they must have taken new classes more often than every three weeks like they do now, so a size cap of 50 would have been workable. Also, if a class gets bigger than 60 they normally split them into two companies each with their own class team, which makes for competition and all that fun stuff. If you didn't have a sister company to compete against, you missed out on a big part of the OCS experience that I had.

....I really need to class up so I can stop thinking about OCS and move on to doing big-boy Navy things.
Because having another excuse for punishment is fun!

exNavyOffRec

OCS classes used to be every two weeks, they changed that about 2 1/2 years ago if memory serves.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Class sizes of 50+? How will candidates get to know the joys of having a two hour watch to break up their sleep every other night? I guess it was a good preparation for submarine duty.

PS: One poor class belonging to the 'black ninja' only had 13 candidates, and he made them post an extra p-way watch for the entire time because they said 'sup chief' while sitting in a rack to the class CPO. So yea, they never got a full 6 hours sleep until candio phase.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Class sizes of 50+? How will candidates get to know the joys of having a two hour watch to break up their sleep every other night? I guess it was a good preparation for submarine duty.
PS: One poor class belonging to the 'black ninja' only had 13 candidates, and he made them post an extra p-way watch for the entire time because they said 'sup chief' while sitting in a rack to the class CPO. So yea, they never got a full 6 hours sleep until candio phase.
Two hours? Try four. Somehow I always seemed to draw the 03-07 watch, too. Although I'm sure it doesn't compare to 24-hour watches.
Is this "black ninja" still there? I'm dying to know if I know who it is, or if it's someone from a while back.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Or having an excuse to get more privileges back. I was in the company that tended to win, so I think this probably worked out better than for the other company.
Our company didn't get any banners until candio phase; Golf got everything but academic and maybe PT. I was inconsolable when they got cereal in like week 4. Before OCS, Cocoa Puffs never meant nearly as much.
It was always so close, too. Just a couple of points separated us for each evolution. As drill body, I was really kicking myself in the ass when we lost drill comp by two points.

WEGL12

VT-28
She is a ball of fire too. I made the mistake of asking for her ID one night when standing OOD because she was in civilian clothes and I never had seen her before. Made for a fun time. Word is another DI is on the way possibly two so the classes may start splitting into two completely separate companies. Actually may be better for the future classes because the past two classes attract a lot of attention from the other DIs because they know the class team is outnumbered 100 to 1.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
She is a ball of fire too. I made the mistake of asking for her ID one night when standing OOD because she was in civilian clothes and I never had seen her before. Made for a fun time.

She needs to read her 11th general order. I hate how the DIs just barge through the quarterdeck in civvies in the morning - defeats the point of having the OOD watch and doesn't set the right example to candidates - "Hey, let them pass if they outrank you!" There was at least one chief who did the procedures, even in uniform. Props to him.

Word is another DI is on the way possibly two so the classes may start splitting into two completely separate companies. Actually may be better for the future classes because the past two classes attract a lot of attention from the other DIs because they know the class team is outnumbered 100 to 1.

Not trying to bite your head off, just a small observation...I love how folks at OCS think that something is a new idea when really it is what they've usually done but haven't been doing recently for whatever reason. Class sizes, time of day for PT, differences in indoc week, etc etc. I was guilty of it too.

WEGL12

VT-28
Not trying to bite your head off, just a small observation...I love how folks at OCS think that something is a new idea when really it is what they've usually done but haven't been doing recently for whatever reason. Class sizes, time of day for PT, differences in indoc week, etc etc. I was guilty of it too.

I wasn't trying to say it hasn't been done before. In fact classes are normally split completely into two companies. As far as I know these last two class are the only ones in the last 6 months that are two companies with one DI. Our class was just one company but 15-13 and before were completely separate. In a way I feel like the large company takes some of the "fun" and training out of OCS because there is no threat of the sister company winning an event. Even the hybrid companies don't compete at drill but they still compete for the other streamers.

For those who come from the west coast or central US, do you guys recommend sleeping and waking up at the times aligning with the east coast? I feel that that's one disadvantage from coming the west coast going to OCS.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
For those who come from the west coast or central US, do you guys recommend sleeping and waking up at the times aligning with the east coast? I feel that that's one disadvantage from coming the west coast going to OCS.
I would imagine just the opposite. Getting up early was tough to get used to, and it should be easier for people from the west coast since they're a few hours earlier in the first place. So getting up at 04 (or earlier) on Medical Monday would be like getting up at 07 for you guys.

WEGL12

VT-28

I wouldn't worry too much about changing your sleeping pattern before you get there. If anything get used to going to sleep around 2200, I showed up normally going to sleep late and struggled to fall asleep the first few nights. Doesn't really matter because starting Wednesday, everyone is tired but they make sure everyone wakes up on time. ;)