• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Do you ever have to do buddy carries at OCS during PT?
Not like carrying other people, but when they replaced 8th week Victory Run with the Capstone thing, they included a sort of Combat Fitness Test, which included performing the buddy drag and the fireman's carry with that dummy in the blue coveralls.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Can you tell me more about this Capstone event? I don't think I've heard of it before.
Yeah, it's pretty new. Our class was the first to try it out. Since other accession paths have something similar, our class team told us they were replacing the Victory Run with it. What it was for us was splitting up into three groups per class, one for each class team member, and rotating through six stations. One of them was the CFT, which was like ten yards high crawl, ten yards low crawl, and the drag and carry. Another station was an ersatz minefield with sandbags, and you had to cross in pairs while blindfolded while a third person watching from the side gave you directions. I don't wanna spoil the rest (also since we were the test group, they may have changed it quite a bit), but it's mostly team-building exercises, and you get to know your class team better (assuming they unlock). It was pretty fun, although I would've liked to do Victory Run as well. I'm probably the only one, though.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Nah, I'd prefer a victory run over a team exercise any day after a year long team project.
Yeah well there were a few people in my class who were either marginal with running or fighting injuries, they were worried about not being able to complete the 3-mile run on asphalt in formation. Class team had previously indicated that if they'd fallen out on another run, they'd roll into the next class, which is a pain in the ass especially in week 8 (family/friends have already started making plans to come out for graduation, almost candios, etc). So they were thankful for that change. But I would've liked to run in formation, if only for the cadences. When we were doing a practice run, our DI started randomly calling people out of formation to call cadence. One who was caught off-guard started singing a cadence about not knowing any more cadences. Laughing your ass off makes it considerably harder to run :D

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
If you can't make it through the victory run, you really shouldn't be graduating.
Pickle
I'm not so sure:
1) Formation runs as PT is a stupid idea in the first place. People's abilities vary too much; the spec war guys won't even break a sweat, while some of the candidates will struggle to keep up,
2) The only requirement the Navy has is to do the 1.5 in a given time, so to make them roll for not doing 3 would've been stupid, and
3) One of the candidates in question was suffering from some pretty severe blisters, and running three times a week was not helping. Even if she had rolled, she wouldn't have gotten a chance to heal in H-class, so she'd probably wind up in med hold.
Maybe I'm biased because I'd gotten to know them pretty well, but still.

croakerfish

pilot
I'm not so sure:
1) Formation runs as PT is a stupid idea in the first place. People's abilities vary too much; the spec war guys won't even break a sweat, while some of the candidates will struggle to keep up,
2) The only requirement the Navy has is to do the 1.5 in a given time, so to make them roll for not doing 3 would've been stupid, and
3) One of the candidates in question was suffering from some pretty severe blisters, and running three times a week was not helping. Even if she had rolled, she wouldn't have gotten a chance to heal in H-class, so she'd probably wind up in med hold.

Sorry, I agree with pickle. Injury notwithstanding, there's no excuse to not be able to truffle-shuffle for 3 lousy miles at a slow cadence run pace after getting through the past 8 weeks. At least when we did cadence runs, it was pretty much a recovery day and you'd have to be pretty damn marginal to have a bad time. That said, this capstone thing sounds a lot better anyway. Maybe they actually do listen to the stuff you say in the graduation debrief...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Huh?

Our victory run was a 1.5 mile run at about a 9 min/mile pace. Like Pickle said, if you're struggling to keep up by week 8-9, then how come you're still in the class and not in H with the other fatbodies?

The victory run doesn't exist to make you more fit. It's supposed to be a fun, easy event to commemorate the fact that you're gonna make it.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Pace notwithstanding, if you're injured, it's gonna be a bitch and a half to run three miles on asphalt (Spekkio, for us they told us it'd be down to the carrier and back, AKA the carrier run). Like I said, they passed all the PRT's and graduated, so they're officers just as much as the rest of us in the class.

But yeah, the capstone was much better. Oh, and they eliminated the class t-shirt ceremony as well. Remember standing at parade rest and being called up as class team read your new billets, and then they'd say "Ladies and gentlemen, BAT II staff," and you snap to attention, clap three times, and go back to parade rest? No longer. Replaced with something less ridiculous.

jtmedli

pilot
I'm not so sure:

If the PRT is your 'measure of fitness' then you should be ashamed of yourself. You're in the military. You're an officer. Get out and PT. I'm not saying everyone should be marathon runners, but if you can't run a 5k without dying then you're wrong.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Pace notwithstanding, if you're injured, it's gonna be a bitch and a half to run three miles on asphalt (Spekkio, for us they told us it'd be down to the carrier and back, AKA the carrier run). Like I said, they passed all the PRT's and graduated, so they're officers just as much as the rest of us in the class.

But yeah, the capstone was much better. Oh, and they eliminated the class t-shirt ceremony as well. Remember standing at parade rest and being called up as class team read your new billets, and then they'd say "Ladies and gentlemen, BAT II staff," and you snap to attention, clap three times, and go back to parade rest? No longer. Replaced with something less ridiculous.
If you're too injured to jog a 5k at a leisurely pace, then you're too injured to carry a 200 lb dummy across a field.

BENDER

pilot

T-shirt ceremony is still going on I think. We just don't do all the other crap before it anymore.