• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

I have some stupid questions, thanks in advance.

1. Do we leave the same day we graduate?

2. If I drive to OCS will the Navy pay for me to go back home after I graduate? I'll have PCS orders to Pensacola since I have Family and I will need to drive back home to Texas in order to move.

3. How much time will I have to report to Pensacola and find a home for me and my family after I graduate? (I shouldn't have any leave because I'm going home for Christmas during training which I heard is charged leave)

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
It's another shirt that you pay extra for yourself. Pretty much everyone who got one was a nickname that was given at OCS. I opted to only get one with my name.

Ok sounds like it was when I was there, I thought you meant that people picked their own nicknames.

Yes, and unfortunately it counts as a travel day even though you can't leave until midday.

2. If I drive to OCS will the Navy pay for me to go back home after I graduate? I'll have PCS orders to Pensacola since I have Family and I will need to drive back home to Texas in order to move.

Nope. And are you sure you'll get PCS orders? I thought that SNAs got TAD orders because they all move around so much in training. Or is it different because you aren't single?

3. How much time will I have to report to Pensacola and find a home for me and my family after I graduate? (I shouldn't have any leave because I'm going home for Christmas during training which I heard is charged leave)

Going home from OCS is charged leave, but they will let you go in the hole if need be. I'll let someone who has moved there handle the rest of your question.

WEGL12

VT-28

3. I am pretty sure it's 4 travel days if you don't want to get charged leave. Seems like the latest you can check in is close to 2 weeks after graduation but everything after the first 4 days counts as leave. I know people that went into the hole because they took the full amount. When I checked in there was no house hunting leave because the first few weeks are basically open after muster.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
3. I am pretty sure it's 4 travel days if you don't want to get charged leave. Seems like the latest you can check in is close to 2 weeks after graduation but everything after the first 4 days counts as leave. I know people that went into the hole because they took the full amount. When I checked in there was no house hunting leave because the first few weeks are basically open after muster.
It's not given because Permissive TAD Authorization for Residence Hunting, aka 'house hunting leave' for those who wish to use the proper key-words for Googling the official policy, is given from the departing command and not the receiving command for execution of PCS orders.

Last edited:

WEGL12

VT-28
It's not given because Permissive TAD Authorization for Residence Hunting, aka 'house hunting leave' for those who wish to use the proper key-words for Googling the official policy, is given from the departing command and not the receiving command for execution of PCS orders.

Makes sense, never knew what the requirements were to actually get it. All I was going by is when people asked they said "No, you'll have plenty of free time the next few weeks". Which was very true.

Will they give me TLE since it's a PCS once I get there?

WEGL12

VT-28
Will they give me TLE since it's a PCS once I get there?

I knew people that used TLE, but you don't get reimbursed until finishing API. That also includes any travel (unless you do advanced) or moving expenses. Also make sure you ask about DLA because you should be eligible for it as well if you are married.

Sonog

pilot
Who picks the nicknames for the backs of the Candio class PT shirts? Is it the DIs? Is anyone ever really disappointed with their nicknames? They usually seem pretty witty, but I've also seen some pretty lame nicknames in the Hi-Moms videos that are on youtube. Like calling the guy named Smith, "Smithy".

There will be like 3 nicknames per class that are genuine or actually funny. The rest will be forced. Also there is a good chance your shirt design will be ridiculously over the top and you'll feel weird wearing it out in public 3 months later. (if you still wear yours with pride, good on you). This should be thing #1004 that you should be concerning yourself with right now

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
There will be like 3 nicknames per class that are genuine or actually funny. The rest will be forced. Also there is a good chance your shirt design will be ridiculously over the top and you'll feel weird wearing it out in public 3 months later. (if you still wear yours with pride, good on you). This should be thing #1004 that you should be concerning yourself with right now
#1003 - how will I look with my head shaved

Edit: Males Only

WEGL12

VT-28
Wouldn't driving from OCS back to my home count as part of the PCS since I need to go home in order to move my stuff?

Your orders are from OCS to Pensacola so they won't pay for you to go back to your hometown. However, moving the stuff from you hometown to Milton will be paid for. You'll need all the receipts, weight tickets and contracts if you do it yourself. I am pretty sure you have to use your home of record move in order to get everything paid for. You may want to call Personal Property in Pensacola and ask.

The first move is a mess. I know people that were completely reimbursed for their move and I also know people that never were paid because they didn't do the process correctly. You won't get reimbursed until checking into primary. I am currently waiting on my reimbursement from Pensacola to Corpus, but have no idea what I will be getting paid. I have been told a different answer each time I spoke with someone about it.

Jules_W

Thank you! Sounds like a cool concept, camaraderie and all that.

Last edited:
Your orders are from OCS to Pensacola so they won't pay for you to go back to your hometown. However, moving the stuff from you hometown to Milton will be paid for. You'll need all the receipts, weight tickets and contracts if you do it yourself. I am pretty sure you have to use your home of record move in order to get everything paid for. You may want to call Personal Property in Pensacola and ask.

The first move is a mess. I know people that were completely reimbursed for their move and I also know people that never were paid because they didn't do the process correctly. You won't get reimbursed until checking into primary. I am currently waiting on my reimbursement from Pensacola to Corpus, but have no idea what I will be getting paid. I have been told a different answer each time I spoke with someone about it.

If I fly home from OCS shouldn't I be able to bring everything with me on the plane since when you travel on orders your allowed 3 over sized bags free of charge with most airlines? Also, if you fly in do they give you a ticket to fly out? If they do can you deny it and buy your own?

WEGL12

VT-28
If I fly home from OCS shouldn't I be able to bring everything with me on the plane since when you travel on orders your allowed 3 over sized bags free of charge with most airlines? Also, if you fly in do they give you a ticket to fly out? If they do can you deny it and buy your own?

I didn't fly to OCS so I am not sure about the flying part. Seems like a buddy of mine was able to get a ticket to his home town to get his car. Not sure if he had to pay for it or it was provided to him.