• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

I didn't fly to OCS so I am not sure about the flying part. Seems like a buddy of mine was able to get a ticket to his home town to get his car. Not sure if he had to pay for it or it was provided to him.

So you drove from OCS to Pensacola, do they reimburse you for the drive?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
There will be like 3 nicknames per class that are genuine or actually funny. The rest will be forced. Also there is a good chance your shirt design will be ridiculously over the top and you'll feel weird wearing it out in public 3 months later. (if you still wear yours with pride, good on you). This should be thing #1004 that you should be concerning yourself with right now

I'm pretty sure the class one or two before me had a drawing of a human heart with a crossed rifle and saber shoved through it, in case anyone wants to know what "ridiculously over the top" means.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Also, if you fly in do they give you a ticket to fly out? If they do can you deny it and buy your own?
How you get there has no bearing on how you leave. Towards the last few weeks, you'll finalize paperwork for how you want to leave, whether it be them giving you a plane ticket to wherever your orders take you (typically Pensacola but may be back to home of record if you get OHARP duty) or drive.

I flew out to OCS but had family drive out for graduation and rode back home with them. I was reimbursed mileage and given 4 days of travel from Newport directly to Pensacola. I took a few days of leave and rode back home with my family to IL for the week and drove down to Pensacola. If you do this, you will only be reimbursed the flat rate for travel from the duty station you are leaving (Newport) directly to the next duty station on your orders.

WEGL12

VT-28
So you drove from OCS to Pensacola, do they reimburse you for the drive?

Yes, I left the day of graduation and stopped in my hometown for a week then continued to Pensacola. I went over the 4 days of travel so I was charged leave. They paid for the mileage from Newport to Pensacola and the nightly per diem rate. I did advance travel so I got the travel pay before I left OCS.

How you get there has no bearing on how you leave. Towards the last few weeks, you'll finalize paperwork for how you want to leave, whether it be them giving you a plane ticket to wherever your orders take you (typically Pensacola but may be back to home of record if you get OHARP duty) or drive.

I flew out to OCS but had family drive out for graduation and rode back home with them. I was reimbursed mileage and given 4 days of travel from Newport directly to Pensacola. I took a few days of leave and rode back home with my family to IL for the week and drove down to Pensacola. If you do this, you will only be reimbursed the flat rate for travel from the duty station you are leaving (Newport) directly to the next duty station on your orders.

I'm thinking about just flying there so I can fly back home with the family. Seems like I will be able to purchase my own ticket out of there if you were able to deny yours from them and drive home with your family. AA offers 5 free bags when on orders, I should be able to fit all my uniforms and stuff in less than five bags right? I only needed two plus a carry on when I came home from the AF.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I'm thinking about just flying there so I can fly back home with the family. Seems like I will be able to purchase my own ticket out of there if you were able to deny yours from them and drive home with your family. AA offers 5 free bags when on orders, I should be able to fit all my uniforms and stuff in less than five bags right? I only needed two plus a carry on when I came home from the AF.

That should be enough bags.

Having said this, you are leaving with at least twice as many uniforms as you got in the air force.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Opposite stupid question of my last one:

How many guests can each person have at the Hi Moms dinner / graduation?
Depends on how many you can afford. You're probably gonna be paying a "per head" fee for your guests, your Hi-Moms Committee will let you know how much. That's what pays for renting the space, paying the caterers and bartenders, etc. I had six guests for mine, my immediate family plus my grandmother.

navy2014

Depends on how many you can afford. You're probably gonna be paying a "per head" fee for your guests, your Hi-Moms Committee will let you know how much. That's what pays for renting the space, paying the caterers and bartenders, etc. I had six guests for mine, my immediate family plus my grandmother.

Thanks, that makes sense. Good way to keep it flexible from class to class.

Cap'America13

OCS: Indoctrination Candidate Phase
As of right now my officer recruiter tells me I have a tentative OCS date of 12/14/2014. I have read quite a bit about Christmas break/leave for OCS; if I choose to stay at OCS instead of using the provided time for leave, what can I expect in terms of having liberty during Christmas or having to muster and do other "work"? (I am assuming I won't be able to do much since I will have only been there 1 week :/

When they ask us ranks do we state the grade and then the rank? Also, does anyone have a current list of the chain of command? Thanks

VoodooNova

None
When they ask us ranks do we state the grade and then the rank? Also, does anyone have a current list of the chain of command? Thanks

The Chain of Command is in Appendix B, found on the OCS website. Based on previous attendee's posts, we'll get the names of the individuals holding those positions when we get there (aside from the ones we can know now, like President, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the Navy).