• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Make no mistake about it: During flight school you are a STUDENT. You will pretty much not be treated like an officer. You will be treated like a small child who has to be babysat lest he drown face-down in 3 inches of water. All you can do is kick ass and not give them any excuse to treat you like a child more than they already do.

So its basically everything I hear about TBS, except more academic, less physical, and because it involves flying, infinitely more awesome?

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Maybe its a squadron to squadron thing but I really didn't feel like I wasn't treated like an officer or that we were treated like little kids. There would be a couple instructors who were always annoyed by anything students did but generally thats because we are much cooler than them:D

Its all about knowing your place and knowing who you are dealing with.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maybe its a squadron to squadron thing but I really didn't feel like I wasn't treated like an officer or that we were treated like little kids. There would be a couple instructors who were always annoyed by anything students did but generally thats because we are much cooler than them:D

Its all about knowing your place and knowing who you are dealing with.

Concur. Bear in mind the poster (Bogey) has only been through Primary in one squadron. For example, VT-6 routinely gets recognized by students as a place that doesn't treat studs like children. As for HT advanced, it is to college like Primary is to high school, ie it's more independent study and more of a big boy program. Don't know how the VT(p) and VT(j) advanced programs are.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
So its basically everything I hear about TBS, except more academic, less physical, and because it involves flying, infinitely more awesome?

Have no fear, you will find yourself much happier in flight school. Yes, infinitely more awesome is how I would put it. :D

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Concur. Bear in mind the poster (Bogey) has only been through Primary in one squadron. For example, VT-6 routinely gets recognized by students as a place that doesn't treat studs like children. As for HT advanced, it is to college like Primary is to high school, ie it's more independent study and more of a big boy program. Don't know how the VT(p) and VT(j) advanced programs are.

Agree on VT-6 - never felt like we were treated as anything less than an officer.

My experience in VT-31 was much the same (besides some scheduling moves that only God Himself would understand).

In both places you were expected to show up ready to brief and fly. If that took you 30 min, good for you. If that took you 4 hours, well ... then it must really suck to be you.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Make no mistake about it: During flight school you are a STUDENT. You will pretty much not be treated like an officer. You will be treated like a small child who has to be babysat lest he drown face-down in 3 inches of water. All you can do is kick ass and not give them any excuse to treat you like a child more than they already do.
I disagree in a general sense ... "how we were treated" during FLIGHT SCHOOL was usually a direct result of how "we" performed, discounting Pre-FLT and the "BOOT" aspects of the NAVAIRTRACOM ... so that would basically include everything else: i.e., Primary ... Basic ... Advanced ... Instrument RAG ... Fleet RAG.

We were NEVER "looked" down upon or disrespected by the hard-core combat-experienced Instructors I came across ... but it all depended upon YOU.

IF YOU SHOWED YOU WERE "INVOLVED" in the program, did your best, kept trying to get better, and produced results ... the "rest" just flowed as a result.

And they treated us like inheritors of a special mantle and younger Brothers ... not children. :)

MasterBates

VT(j) is definitely the big boy program. Granted, I am rolling thru with wings, but even the Mk1 Mod0 SNA is treated well as long as they give a shit and try.

VT(p) was not as bad as primary, but was definitely not as laid back as VT(j).
As a reference point, HTs were somewhere between the advanced VTs on how much of a "peer" you were treated as.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I disagree in a general sense ... "how we were treated" during FLIGHT SCHOOL was usually a direct result of how "we" performed, discounting Pre-FLT and the "BOOT" aspects of the NAVAIRTRACOM ... so that would basically include everything else: i.e., Primary ... Basic ... Advanced ... Instrument RAG ... Fleet RAG.

Seems to be my experience also. Show up, know your stuff cold for the brief, don't act like an ass, get treated well. Don't, well, stand by.

Masterbates said:
As a reference point, HTs were somewhere between the advanced VTs on how much of a "peer" you were treated as.

Funny you say that, I felt like I was treated so much more like a member of the squadron in the primary VT's than I was in the HT's.

srqwho

pilot
I was thinking of posting this in the IA thread going now, but the talk was much above my question. As far as IAs go, is there any method to the selection of guys/gals that do not volunteer for an IA? I'm not asking for any reason other than I'm curious... hell, I'm not even a final select yet. I don't even want to comment on how I think I might respond in the event I make it through flight school and get an IA b/c I know I have A LOT to learn and A LOT can change before then.

I couldn't find a solid answer (if there is one) in any other IA thread. Thanks.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're a long, long way from worrying about an IA. Most aviators who get tagged now are at the end of their first Fleet tour, en route to shore duty (the "GSA"). IA's happen during your turn on the beach...They're trying to shift to the GSA model and use IA's only to fill in as necessary.

But to answer your question as to IA's specifically: generally, a shore command or group of commands gets a requirement to fill billet "X" by such-and-such a date. They know when, how long, any special skill requirements, paygrade range, etc. Commands put the word out for volunteers. If no volunteers, command fills it by any means necessary. It's up to them (XO and Skipper) to decide who gets "voluntold," but they take into account needs of the command and individuals.

srqwho

pilot
Thanks... yeah I was hesitant to even post that question.

Totally unrelated question, but right now my girlfriend is battling to get a week off of work during the holidays... obviously a lot of people ask for time off during that time of year. What is the Navy like when it comes to leave... in regards to getting the time off you request? I assuming everything has to be approved by somebody, and was curious if it's one of those situations where you better request early or else. Thanks.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
"Bottle to flight planning" now.

God forbid you operate a JMPS computer with a hangover. I think for practical purposes,"bottle to brief" will keep you out of trouble if something happens. If you were witnessed bombed out of your mind the night before, things might go badly for you regardless of whether it's 12, 13, or even 14 hours. 1 or 2, even if close to the 12-hour time, won't be a big deal, unless found somehow to be causal.

Then again, having been on the wrong side of a long green (in actuality a small round conference) table, I know that common sense can be an uncommon virtue (totally unrelated to alcohol or any type of misconduct, BTW).

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
God forbid you operate a JMPS computer with a hangover. I think for practical purposes,"bottle to brief" will keep you out of trouble if something happens. If you were witnessed bombed out of your mind the night before, things might go badly for you regardless of whether it's 12, 13, or even 14 hours. 1 or 2, even if close to the 12-hour time, won't be a big deal, unless found somehow to be causal.

Then again, having been on the wrong side of a long green (in actuality a small round conference) table, I know that common sense can be an uncommon virtue (totally unrelated to alcohol or any type of misconduct, BTW).

The bottom line here is this:

If you are involved in a mishap/incident, your BAC had better be 0.00 and you had better be free of "all hangover effects". If not, they will jam it up your ass sideways during the investigation, whether it had any bearing on the situation or not.

Don't tempt fate here (said the pot to the kettle) by pushing the hour limitations. It won't mean shit come mishap investigation time.

Believe it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
True. The free-from-effects clause is the most important thing here. 20 drinks 16 hours ago will find you just as, if not more hanged, than 2 beers just on the wire. Good judgment trumps all else.

Status
Not open for further replies.