• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
True. The free-from-effects clause is the most important thing here. 20 drinks 16 hours ago will find you just as, if not more hanged, than 2 beers just on the wire. Good judgment trumps all else.

Agree with all, just putting out the official rule.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks... yeah I was hesitant to even post that question.

Totally unrelated question, but right now my girlfriend is battling to get a week off of work during the holidays... obviously a lot of people ask for time off during that time of year. What is the Navy like when it comes to leave... in regards to getting the time off you request? I assuming everything has to be approved by somebody, and was curious if it's one of those situations where you better request early or else. Thanks.

As a student, for the most part, you'll get the week of Xmas off. In the fleet, they usually operate on shifts (if at home) so half goes on leave/gets special lib for Xmas, half goes during New Years. Obviously when deployed, everyone gets a very special military Christmas.

Flugelman

Contributor
As a student, for the most part, you'll get the week of Xmas off. In the fleet, they usually operate on shifts (if at home) so half goes on leave/gets special lib for Xmas, half goes during New Years. Obviously when deployed, everyone gets a very special military Christmas.

Unless you were the "Ready Squadron" at Whidbey during the Christmas season in the late '60s. It seemed like every year the week before Christmas a Foxtrot would show itself somewhere near the Pacific Northwest and we would chase it all the rest of the month. Never seemed to happen any other time of the year. :icon_rage We were the "Ready Squadron" 2 out of the 3 years I was there, deployed the other year. :( One year it was spotted by a commercial guy from altitude. I always wondered if this a "plan" by the Russkies to bend morale...

JackW

I know there was a thread earlier about the MUTHA trophie but I was wondering if Marine squadrons take part in the festivities too?

Yankee Uniform Tango
Does the Harrier RAG include any A/A / ACM training or is it all strictly Attack?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^ I'm just a patrol puke but I would venture to guess that the VMA syllabus probably includes at least a smattering of BFM.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Does the Harrier RAG include any A/A / ACM training or is it all strictly Attack?

Yes. There are 1v1 and 2v1 BFM sorties plus some TVC stuff. There are also some intercept sims, I believe. You get the rest of it in the fleet.

*note: MAG-14 has historically overridden the T&R and modified the syllabus as they see fit. A/A has shrunk and grown several times at the whim of whoever was in charge of applying TRA to their next fitrep bullet. YMMV. You'll still get all of the sorties, but it may be in the fleet.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
so you're saying that the AV-8 is not an air superiority fighter???

Can you fight in it? Yes. Can you do well in it? Yes, depending on the pilot. Is it "an air superiority fighter"?

Uhhhhh..........no.

Anybody who argues this is an idiot, or Brittish.:D

Python

pilot
Contributor
On summer cruise I heard that you can't wear patches on your green flight jackets anymore (despite the fact that I saw a few anyway). Is that really true? I think that looked pretty badass.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On summer cruise I heard that you can't wear patches on your green flight jackets anymore (despite the fact that I saw a few anyway). Is that really true? I think that looked pretty badass.

No.

Brett

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There were some attempts a few years ago to AirForceisze flight jackets. Universally ignored. ROT now seems to be just like for bags: wear what you want, we don't care about the condition, just not out in town where the taxpayers can see you, shipwreck.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
just like for bags: just not out in town where the taxpayers can see you, shipwreck.

Word on the street is that VADM Kilcline is going to unveil his new instruction for the wearing of flight suits out in town - USAF style. Stay tuned for details, but my front office is saying it's going to happen very soon.

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Word on the street is that VADM Kilcline is going to unveil his new instruction for the wearing of flight suits out in town - USAF style. Stay tuned for details, but my front office is saying it's going to happen very soon.

Brett
Reason #43 why that guy rocks. Supposedly he's also trying to get the FAA to ease up on the 1200'/250KIAS party line re: flybys.

Status
Not open for further replies.