• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reason #43 why that guy rocks. Supposedly he's also trying to get the FAA to ease up on the 1200'/250KIAS party line re: flybys.

Yeah, imagine that - a suit who's actually making a difference.

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Reason #43 why that guy rocks. Supposedly he's also trying to get the FAA to ease up on the 1200'/250KIAS party line re: flybys.

Where did you get this? I talked with the FAA regional director before each of the flybys that I've done. The answer was stay above 1000' AGL (and no shit, really do it) and speed was "at my discretion", which I took to mean "fast, but don't be an asshole about it".

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm all for wearing of bags in town, but if it's going to be AF-style, does that mean They're going to start being assholes about it? Wear this patch here, that patch there, black t-shirts only and no funny business...

Find a way to make a redass out of something, even the simple joy of wearing a flight suit to work, and the Navy will do it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where did you get this? I talked with the FAA regional director before each of the flybys that I've done. The answer was stay above 1000' AGL (and no shit, really do it) and speed was "at my discretion", which I took to mean "fast, but don't be an asshole about it".
He came to speak to the aircrew at Whidbey, and the topic came up that the official FAA flyby party line was 250/1200'. Maybe the hippies up here are just more anal about what they let people do in evil, noisy grey jets. Granted, I've seen that rule . . . bent. But it would be nice to get it waived completely. Heck, they trust people to fly low-levels, no?

I'm all for wearing of bags in town, but if it's going to be AF-style, does that mean They're going to start being assholes about it? Wear this patch here, that patch there, black t-shirts only and no funny business...

Find a way to make a redass out of something, even the simple joy of wearing a flight suit to work, and the Navy will do it.
Yes, but having to go home to change before running errands after work is, itself, a redass. At least we haven't fallen to the utter asininity that is the MC's new cammie rules.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, but having to go home to change before running errands after work is, itself, a redass. At least we haven't fallen to the utter asininity that is the MC's new cammie rules.

'tis true. But usually when we decide to torque down on uniform standards, it quickly devolves into Talmudic debate on the minutia instead of just keeping up standards. I once witnessed a serious debate between two chiefs on precisely how many paint spots could be on a set of coveralls before they were considered "unwearable".

I'd rather avoid that with bags and just deal with the current redassery.

New cammie rules? Explain, please. Or do you mean the blue digis?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
At least through 2004 every approval msg for fly-bys included a minimum altitude and a maximum airspeed as approved by the COS.

phrogpilot73

That asininity applies to flight suits for us as well. I was driving back from the drill weekend and had to piss. Problem - I'm not allowed to step out of the car in flight suit. Solution? Hold it until my eyes are watering, and I get to Marine Corps Base Quantico so I can pee in the exchange restroom. Retarded.

New cammie rules? Explain, please. Or do you mean the blue digis?
Marine Corps' new cammie/flight suit rule is that you can not stop for anything. Drive through are OK, but only if you don't get out of the car. You can only exit the car for a bona fide emergency.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marine Corps' new cammie/flight suit rule is that you can not stop for anything. Drive through are OK, but only if you don't get out of the car. You can only exit the car for a bona fide emergency.

Ah, got it. I thought "MC" referred to MCPON, not the Mahreens. We've had our share of cammies buffoonery lately. Suckers have been delayed again.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
That asininity applies to flight suits for us as well. I was driving back from the drill weekend and had to piss. Problem - I'm not allowed to step out of the car in flight suit. Solution? Hold it until my eyes are watering, and I get to Marine Corps Base Quantico so I can pee in the exchange restroom. Retarded.

I think having to pee qualifies as a bonafide emergency...:D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Go to the drive through, order a drink, immediately pour it out, then use the cup! Problem solved!

hfrog84

Token Air Force (Viper) Guy

I always got mixed up over whether it was 1000' and 250Kts or 250' and 1000Kts.

10 out of 7 Pilots are dyslexic!

Hoser

phrogpilot73

I think having to pee qualifies as a bonafide emergency...:D

Go to the drive through, order a drink, immediately pour it out, then use the cup! Problem solved!
You know, I wasn't even thinking that clearly... That's how bad I had to pee. I forgot to mention that when I got to the PX - the exchange was closed. D'oh! Pull a U-turn, and head towards Camp Barrett. Find an isolated spot along Russell Road and hop out. I figured if someone wanted to hassle me about it, I could play it off as a Leader's Recon/METT-T analysis of the Quantico Highlands.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know, I wasn't even thinking that clearly... That's how bad I had to pee. I forgot to mention that when I got to the PX - the exchange was closed. D'oh! Pull a U-turn, and head towards Camp Barrett. Find an isolated spot along Russell Road and hop out. I figured if someone wanted to hassle me about it, I could play it off as a Leader's Recon/METT-T analysis of the Quantico Highlands.

Where do we get such men? :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

This is what I always find amusing about Marines. The strict adherence to not just tradition, but also regs, no matter how much sense they make at the moment. This may sound like a dig, but it's not meant to be. It's no doubt why the Marines are as successful as they are.

You had to pee. Instead of just pulling into a rest area and taking a leak and having the low probability of someone giving a rat's ass, you end up urinating in public. I just find it funny how people who have been to war and made the sacrafice get wrapped up about a simple act of having to pee in the "wrong" uniform.

Again, not a dig on Marines or you, Phrog(s). I truly do respect the way Marines do business. I may not always agree with it, but I respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.