• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

highside7r

None
Bug/Super Bug question. Watching the many "Tube" vids with cockpit cams, I noticed guys seem to have the DDI's on set pages (HUD on LDDI, FCS on RDDI), is it SOP for what you have displayed for the phase of flight?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Bug/Super Bug question. Watching the many "Tube" vids with cockpit cams, I noticed guys seem to have the DDI's on set pages (HUD on LDDI, FCS on RDDI), is it SOP for what you have displayed for the phase of flight?

The RAG kind of standardizes it, but single seat, it really is just up to you. HUD left, FCS right is pretty standard for takeoff, HUD left Bit or Checklist right the same for landing. Other than that, it's pretty mission dependant....especially once you leave the RAG and start using new toys.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Piggybacking on MIDNJAC--I believe those settings are SOP for the Demo guys as well. They're also probably some of the only completely UNCLASS displays in the jet, which is why you see them on youtube.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Piggybacking on MIDNJAC--I believe those settings are SOP for the Demo guys as well. They're also probably some of the only completely UNCLASS displays in the jet, which is why you see them on youtube.

Correct!!!

phrogpilot73

The lights that I've seen on some helicopters are of the low-voltage formation-keeping variety and always on the top of the blade tip; i.e. not visible from the ground or from far away.
On the 46, the blade tip lights are on the tips, not the tops. And one per head is a required item for night flight. I'm pretty sure the form lights are required as well, but those are more about "Vietnam unaided appreciation" if you know what I mean...

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor

Another stupid question regarding the displays. I've seen some videos where it looks like the displays cycle through pages constantly. Is that normal, or a camera effect?

Kinda like this one.

mjv305

ENS SNA
Alright. So i just watched Top Gun randomly and was curious, how does one apply or get selected to attend the United States Navy Strike Fight Tactics program? I have never read nor seen any information on it.

To be clear, it is just a "stupid question" about aviation and is purely curiosity...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the most part (as with any community's weapons school), guys go there who will be squadron training officers during their second sea tour (super JO vice disassociated tour). Who goes depends on lots of factors, but Training Officers will be senior JOs in their second fleet tour who run the training and tactics instruction programs in their squadrons. As with any orders, it's a discussion between you, your community and your detailer.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who's available to go, has the right amount of time remaining in the squadron to make it worth the money, and generally has their shit together enough that the squadron won't look bad to the Weapons School. Then they go to the High Desert to learn the art of Command Hands gestures and pointless historical anecdotes during briefs.

Speaking of That Movie, in the original script, Goose was Cougar's RIO, and they were supposed to go to TG together. Maverick winds up going with him because the squadron can't spare any other pilots while on cruise, and the Skipper wants him off the Boat because none of the RIOs will fly with him.

Still goofy, but slightly more realistic.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sometimes it boils down to luck and timing as who is selected. I know the Prowler Tactics Instructor (PTI) program has changed over the last 10 years, but I saw guys selected to become a PTI only because the Skipper favored them. And when they earned their patch, they were WORTHLESS because they had NO EXPERIENCE or they sucked in the jet.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
There is also an "unofficial" vetting process by the the existing patch wearers in Fallon when the list of applicants comes in... Or so I've heard ;)