• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I was augmenting a squadron on deployment and the OPSO was anal about keeping crews together. Because of the OPTEMPO in theater and the way all our missions were fragged (almost a week in advance), it was easy to keep crews together and they would all be scheduled as a modular unit. Worked really well.

On my other deployment, the mission tasking was much more fluid, the Ready was flying 3 or 4 days a week, and we were short a bunch of bodies so we didn't physically have the people to build our required 10 exclusive crews. Once you start having to whore out 3 or 4 guys to multiple crews, the whole system seems to tumble like a house of cards, so that by the end of deployment "crew" becomes more of an abstract, tongue-in-cheek concept than a physical reality.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I was augmenting a squadron on deployment and the OPSO was anal about keeping crews together. Because of the OPTEMPO in theater and the way all our missions were fragged (almost a week in advance), it was easy to keep crews together and they would all be scheduled as a modular unit. Worked really well.

On my other deployment, the mission tasking was much more fluid, the Ready was flying 3 or 4 days a week, and we were short a bunch of bodies so we didn't physically have the people to build our required 10 exclusive crews. Once you start having to whore out 3 or 4 guys to multiple crews, the whole system seems to tumble like a house of cards, so that by the end of deployment "crew" becomes more of an abstract, tongue-in-cheek concept than a physical reality.

Ah...the augment. They should just write that little 2-3 month break into the upgrading PPC syllabus. You're not quite completely P-3 bitter until you've done a chunk of someone else's deployment.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
NAAD does (or.. did) "Combat Crews", but with manning changes, if there weren't enough people to keep the rotations constant the "crews" shifted certain members around. Sometimes it worked like clockwork. Others, not so much.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We tried doing 'combat crews' during OIF. That lasted all of a day and a half, then everyone O-4+ started moving themselves around the flight sked due to Important Hinge Ground Stuff. After a week, the combat crews existed only on paper. After ten days, it wasn't even on paper anymore, despite OpsO's best efforts (it was his pet rock).

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Water bottle(s) stashed in your helmet bag. Some guys have camelbak bladders installed in their survival vests.

Protein bars make great snacks.

Sonog

pilot
Approximately how many flight hours do you acquire during flight school (API + primary + advanced)? Obviously there's tons of time in class and on the ground, but how often do you go up a week?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
No flight hours in API. IFS is normally conducted before API and is 10-15 hours (25 when I went through, so this may be inaccurate). I flew ~90 hours in the T-34C (Primary) and ~140 in the T-45C (Intermediate/Advanced). These are estimates---I don't have my logbook handy.

I'd say that one event (flight or sim) per day is typical through Primary, with the exception of the occasional O/I (out-and-in), cross crountry, or RI sims. Intermediate Jet/Advanced Strike is where you'll start to see significant amounts of double-pumps (two events per day). Getting double-pumped was standard in Advanced, and three FCLP sessions per day happened now and then. I can't speak to the helo/maritime pipelines.

It's all weather, maintenance, and scheduling dependent. There were periods in Primary when I didn't get airborne for two plus weeks. Conversely, there were stretches in Advanced when I flew twice a day for six days at a time. In short, it depends.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I showed up to the FRS with shiny new wings and a whopping 160 hours in my log book. Around 90 in the T-6 with the rest in C-12s.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I had 85 or so in Primary, and 110-ish out of Helo Advanced. About 200 hours total Navy flight time by winging, not counting the 14 hours of -172 flying out of IFS.

Since everyone above is posting about Jet Advanced I'll give ya some quick info on Helicopter Advanced.

We didn't double-pump flights in Helo Advanced, but you will be observing (sitting in the back, trying not to fall asleep while you watch for traffic) when it's not your turn to fly if the other student is doing an instrument hop and is under the hood (can't see anything besides his instruments). In sims we wouldn't double-pump, but during RIs you'll be doing copilot duties when it's your partner's turn to fly. So you're in the aircraft a lot during the instrument phase, even when not flying.

Also... if you go to Corpus Christi for Primary in the winter, and if you don't get on the Las Cruces detachment, you probably will fly only once or twice a week, and end up getting lots of weather cancellations...