• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Oh, and enjoy that time off. Get in rockin' shape, party your face off, and chase some skirt. How I wish I could go back to A-pool....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I had 85 or so in Primary, and 110-ish out of Helo Advanced. About 200 hours total Navy flight time by winging, not counting the 14 hours of -172 flying out of IFS.

Since everyone above is posting about Jet Advanced I'll give ya some quick info on Helicopter Advanced.

We didn't double-pump flights in Helo Advanced, but you will be observing (sitting in the back, trying not to fall asleep while you watch for traffic) when it's not your turn to fly if the other student is doing an instrument hop and is under the hood (can't see anything besides his instruments). In sims we wouldn't double-pump, but during RIs you'll be doing copilot duties when it's your partner's turn to fly. So you're in the aircraft a lot during the instrument phase, even when not flying.

Do the HTs not do 4 leg CCXs anymore? When I went through, I did two CCX, one as a VNAV (although I was the only stud so it was just a double each way) and one during RIs (2 bags for each stud, alternating).

KBayDog

Do the HTs not do 4 leg CCXs anymore? When I went through, I did two CCX, one as a VNAV (although I was the only stud so it was just a double each way) and one during RIs (2 bags for each stud, alternating).

Yes, 4 legs each way is still pretty standard.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ Same as is it today. Those CCXs are your only double pump of flights in a day for the HTs. And they're generally *ahem* low stress.

Edit: KBay beat me to it.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Do helicopter blades have lights in the tips? I always thought the glow was static, but I was reading something the other day that briefly mentioned tip lights. Do E2/C2s have tip lights? Sounds like a pretty good idea for a carrier deck, actually.

Also, do Prowlers have to use single pilot mins? They sit next to each other, but there's technically one pilot. "Single piloted" is a dumb phrase to describe the higher approach mins.

KBayDog

Do helicopter blades have lights in the tips? I always thought the glow was static, but I was reading something the other day that briefly mentioned tip lights.

Yes.

Also, do Prowlers have to use single pilot mins? They sit next to each other, but there's technically one pilot. "Single piloted" is a dumb phrase to describe the higher approach mins.

3710.7U is your friend. (Hint: 5.3.5.3)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
3710.7U is your friend. (Hint: 5.3.5.3)

Does ECMO 1 have a set of flight instruments?

I guess since this is the stupid questions thread...Does the ICAP III Prowler have glass flight instruments? Is it a page that anybody in the jet can bring up on their display?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does ECMO 1 have a set of flight instruments?

I guess since this is the stupid questions thread...Does the ICAP III Prowler have glass flight instruments? Is it a page that anybody in the jet can bring up on their display?
I can see the instruments as well as the pilot, thus the dual plot exception. ICAP III is all tactical info and has nothing to do with basic flight instruments.

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
Do helicopter blades have lights in the tips? I always thought the glow was static, but I was reading something the other day that briefly mentioned tip lights. Do E2/C2s have tip lights? Sounds like a pretty good idea for a carrier deck, actually.

Some do like the H-46 and V-22. The H-60 doesn't, but if you look at the blades under NVDs you can see the tip path due to static in the right conditions like sand.

sh60_13.jpg

I can't speak for all E-2s, but he E-2Ds in our hangar have glow in the dark tips (pic below is of paint testing being conducted on an E-2C).

E-2C_Lights_Off.jpg

jmcquate

Contributor
For the Scooter guys (you know who you are), did the A-4 have compression issues in a dive with an elivator instead of a flying tail?

MasterBates

It's hit or miss with NP2K blade tips. Common to have a mixed bag, but all new ones and rework were getting the glow tip. Not uncommon to have red/white and glow green on the same motor.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
For the Scooter guys (you know who you are), did the A-4 have compression issues in a dive with an elivator instead of a flying tail?

It had issues with the elevator and the ailerons in a dive at high speeds. Being designed as a subsonic aircraft, boundary layer separation occurred at transonic speeds and the control surfaces (ailerons and elevator) basically operated in what equated to a vacuum; there was no airflow contacting the control surfaces. The aircraft pretty much had to be pointed almost straight down at full power and be slick (no external stores) to achieve the speed necessary to experience this. You knew it was happening because moving the stick resulted in no response. And when that happens in a responsive plane like the A-4F, it got your attention. Pull the power back, pop the boards (speed brakes) and you were quickly under control again.

AirPirate

pilot
Do helicopter blades have lights in the tips? I always thought the glow was static, but I was reading something the other day that briefly mentioned tip lights...
The lights that I've seen on some helicopters are of the low-voltage formation-keeping variety and always on the top of the blade tip; i.e. not visible from the ground or from far away.

Coota0

None
In the Osprey community; does the aircraft commander sit in the left seat or the right seat?