• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
^Did you ever work with/for anyone you liked or you thought deserved their position of authority/responsibility?

jtmedli

pilot
^Did you ever work with/for anyone you liked or you thought deserved their position of authority/responsibility?

There's actually a post in another thread where MB discusses his experiences in each community and how many good/bad COs he had in each. My takeaway was that he's about 50/50 on the above question. He liked half of them. Other half, not so much.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For an alternative frame of reference, I've been in three fleet squadrons as an officer. Around 80% of my COs have been outstanding, none of them have been bad, just less effective. That's a sample of 9 COs.

MasterBates

Guys who deserved it:

All three CAGs. Guad, Trigger, Pappy
COs: Two HSL, Two VAW, 3 of 4 VT COs
OIC/DHs: All three OICs, about 70% of HSL DHs and 80% of VAW DHs.
Also all but one RAG CO.

That's a short list. There are more.

But the fuckers who could not lead a goose fed exlax to take a shit, they really stick with you.

Poor leaders tend to ne the ones who do the most of the "your career path is different you suck" or judge you by your lack of church involvement.

The good leaders cared that you were a decent human being, leader, officer, and pilot in that order.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

phrogpilot73

For an alternative frame of reference, I've been in three fleet squadrons as an officer. Around 80% of my COs have been outstanding, none of them have been bad, just less effective. That's a sample of 9 COs.
As an officer, I've been in one fleet squadron, one fleet infantry battalion, and one reserve squadron. That's a sample of 8 active duty COs, and 3 reserve COs. Of the 8 active duty COs, 3 were outstanding, 2 were just OK, and 3 I didn't trust any further than I could throw. Of the reserve COs, 1 was outstanding, 1 was just OK, and 1 was transparent in his desire to use the squadron to further his own career (and our maintenance readiness numbers proved it).

I think you've been lucky.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As an officer, I've been in one fleet squadron, one fleet infantry battalion, and one reserve squadron. That's a sample of 8 active duty COs, and 3 reserve COs. Of the 8 active duty COs, 3 were outstanding, 2 were just OK, and 3 I didn't trust any further than I could throw. Of the reserve COs, 1 was outstanding, 1 was just OK, and 1 was transparent in his desire to use the squadron to further his own career (and our maintenance readiness numbers proved it).

I think you've been lucky.
Or maybe you're just unlucky.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In that case, maybe Marine leadership just isn't up to Navy standards. :D

Ooooh, it's on now...

west-side-story-knife-fight.jpg

phrogpilot73

Or maybe you're just unlucky.
There is slightly an element of that... Timing being a bitch and all. I checked out of the squadron (on the heels of one of the worst CO/XO pairs I've ever had to work for), and a month later there was a change of command. All the JOs still in the squadron told me he was one of the best CO's they've ever seen. He also fired the XO within a month of taking over as CO. And what happened to that XO? Let's see, he's a post O-5 command Colonel now. How does that work? Something about sustained superior performance?

In that case, maybe Marine leadership just isn't up to Navy standards. :D
Umm, since PSW's old commodore bragged that he got a NPLOC at every rank (to include during his O-5 command tour), I'm going to say NO.

phrogpilot73

Had two before the end of my first tour - they don't mean anything until there's not an "N" in front of 'em :)
I'd agree with you, and I'd argue that a NPLOC for a O-1 through even and O-4 is not that bad. But an O-5 in a command billet? Really?

Oh, and for the record - PSW and I are both O-4s and both have ZERO NPLOCs...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm going to go out on a limb here (as dangerous as that might be) and say that guys who have received NPLOCs might (just might) have skewed point of view. Just out of curiosity, if you don't have a DUI on your record in the Marines, how might that play out?