• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Yeah I'm not meaning to start up a debate, just wondering why people aren't doing it. I don't think anyone is being told "to" do it, therefore they don't. One theory anyway. It doesn't matter. I'm doing it unless told otherwise.

Yeah, I agree with the "Holy shit no one told me to do it, and I don't want to stand out." The only people who ever complain are other 0-1s, just like Synix said. I also concur with rocking the dip/brown shoes/etc. 95% of the kids in Pcola wear their covers like complete dorks. One kid even has a f*@king SWOter.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I was watching a carrier show on the military channel the other day and they were covering operations on a carrier. At one point they had to halt all launches and landings because a spring was misplaced from a piece of gear. So they had to stop everything until they found it and every crew member available "combed" the deck. How often does something like this happen on the carrier?

How often? Hard to say an exact number but sometimes it's more often than othertimes. Usually there are two normal FOD walkdowns scheduled during the day and then a "Combat FOD walkdown" which is what your example was, where something was missing or suspected and so a real quick yet real thorough walkdown.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
FOD stands for both "Foreign Object Damage" and "Foreign Object Debris." So, it refers to both a type of damage AND an object that can cause damage to an engine.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I was watching a carrier show on the military channel the other day and they were covering operations on a carrier. At one point they had to halt all launches and landings because a spring was misplaced from a piece of gear. So they had to stop everything until they found it and every crew member available "combed" the deck. How often does something like this happen on the carrier?

AFN showed that episode here yesterday. It’s the same “Carrier” episode where they interviewed the female WSO just before her “first combat mission” and then talked with her when she returned. Then they discussed an issue with a Hornet that was struck by lightning at night, “wasn’t talking to anybody” and was squawking 7700. After a few “harrowing” minutes, it was determined that the emergency Hornet was diverting to Cherry Point.

I was left wondering where the carrier was conducting "combat missions" that allows Cherry Point to be a divert field...

SoloDaNINJA

I searched but couldnt find anything.

What is life like on a carrier? I know theres no "typical day", but what are your sleeping quarters, eating quarters, etc. like? How often do you fly? What are your recreational options in your off time? Is it interesting and enjoyable (I know its not a pleasure cruise) or do you spend the whole deployment waiting for it to end?

What is the difference in daily life between carriers and smaller Amphibious Assault ships? I mean, because of the decreased size, are your living quarters and recreational options limited compared to the full sized carriers?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I searched but couldnt find anything.

What is life like on a carrier? I know theres no "typical day", but what are your sleeping quarters, eating quarters, etc. like? How often do you fly? What are your recreational options in your off time? Is it interesting and enjoyable (I know its not a pleasure cruise) or do you spend the whole deployment waiting for it to end?

What is the difference in daily life between carriers and smaller Amphibious Assault ships? I mean, because of the decreased size, are your living quarters and recreational options limited compared to the full sized carriers?

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/140694-Officer-Life

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...cal-day-to-day-life?highlight=life+on+carrier

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...-episode-PBS-Series?highlight=life+on+carrier

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/138308-life-on-cruise?highlight=life+on+carrier

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...ega-Thread-(MMMT)?highlight=marines+on+a+ship

This is just after 30 seconds of searching...imagine what you can dig up by using different key words... Your google-fu is weak my friend. While not one thread may directly answer your question...it's all somewhat related and you can get the general consensus based on different people's experiences, Marine and Navy.

SoloDaNINJA

I apologize, it appears my searching skills are quite rusty...

However, none of those threads really answered my questions, and I couldnt find anything after searching
life ship fleet amphibious assault shup daily carrier meu pilot officer quarters.

GreenLantern330

Hey guys, sorry if this has already been asked, but I search and google searched and nothing came up.

How often are flight quals? Or whatever it's called.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NATOPS quails, Instrument chacks are annual, a night trap is good for 7, day for 14, FCLP's will get you 10...

MasterBates

Days.

If I got a night trap tonight, I'd be good for 7 days. Then after that I'd have to get a day trap in the preceding 48 hours to get a night trap up to 14 days (I'm not looking at LSO NATOPS at the moment, sue me if I'm off a tad)

If you only do day landings (COD guys.. I'm jealous) you are good for 14 days. Go beyond those timeframes, and there starts becoming issues with re-qualifications, waivers, and if you go too long, you have to re-FCLP.

SoloDaNINJA

Carrier landings

I have another stupid question :D

How does the approach differ from normal approaches? Is it 100 percent visual, or do you have any aids? I have heard that instead of the traditional way, having a fixed speed for most of the descent and changing your pitch as needed, carrier pilots have a fixed angle of attack, and aggressively use the throttles to regulate their descent. Is that true? If so, what is the fixed angle of attack, and how far out and how high up do you start keeping with that fixed angle?

I ask because I decided to go out and get one of those nifty flight simulators, that supports carrier operations, and I want to be able to do it the proper way. And yes, I know that a simulator is not the same as real life, but until I get there, its the closest I am going to get.