• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Did the Vigi have folding wings?
Lil' ones ...

dsc01887mod.jpg
Image by A4sForever

Top_Gun_1_0_1

just curious about "Take off trim"; as soon as the hornet gets airborne, do pilots reset the takeoff trim switch? or the Rudder, flaps, & aileron automatically snaps back to neutral?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
just curious about "Take off trim"; as soon as the hornet gets airborne, do pilots reset the takeoff trim switch? or the Rudder, flaps, & aileron automatically snaps back to neutral?

As soon as you bring the flaps up to auto, the FCS takes over with pitch trim. Aileron/rudder trim can still be required. If one wants to zero out trim in flight, you just press the t/o trim button. All T/O trim does is set the stabs at 12 deg nose up (for field t/o, different setting with the L-bar down on the boat) and toes in the rudders for takeoff. The rest of the surfaces are controlled by setting the flaps, ie zero bias on ailerons. There are no trim tabs, so you get trim by resetting the neutral point of the various control surfaces.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I know a C-130 trapped once but I didn't know that Neptunes deployed with CV airwings.

The CV based P-2 was the first attempt to get the Navy into the portable sun delivery business. They would embark with the plan to launch using JATO and drop and divert to a shore base so my reply was a bit tongue in cheek. The only one I can think of without an (intentionally) folding wing is the aforementioned A-4

Flugelman

Contributor
I know a C-130 trapped once but I didn't know that Neptunes deployed with CV airwings.

I know, I'm being picky, but the C-130 didn't actually TRAP. IIRC, it was equipped with a new anti-skid braking system and did not employ a tailhook.:)