• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I have another stupid question :D

How does the approach differ from normal approaches?

I'm going to keep this short and very simple. You arrive at the abeam position fully configured, on-speed (approach angle-of-attack), trimmed up. Your distance abeam depends on crosswind component, type of aircraft, configuration, etc. At the 180, which usually coincides with the very aft end of the deck, you squeak on a little power and roll into your approach turn, using power to adjust your rate of descent and stick/trim to stay on-speed. The rate of descent increases throughout the approach turn. Ideally you should roll out on centerline, on-speed, with a centered ball and a stable VSI. It takes some good coordinated roll/power to do this without going high or fast (or in my case, usually both!) at the start. Now fly the ball.

Much much easier said than done.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm going to keep this short and very simple. You arrive at the abeam position fully configured, on-speed (approach angle-of-attack), trimmed up. Your distance abeam depends on crosswind component, type of aircraft, configuration, etc. At the 180, which usually coincides with the very aft end of the deck, you squeak on a little power and roll into your approach turn, using power to adjust your rate of descent and stick/trim to stay on-speed. The rate of descent increases throughout the approach turn. Ideally you should roll out on centerline, on-speed, with a centered ball and a stable VSI. It takes some good coordinated roll/power to do this without going high or fast (or in my case, usually both!) at the start. Now fly the ball.

Much much easier said than done.

To add to this (re: original question), most civilian and other aircraft either fly visual straight in's or a VFR "box" pattern, with a square 90 degree-ish turn to base, then another onto final with a long straightaway for the final approach. In the CV VFR pattern, from the abeam position (at the boat, this is basically abeam the LSO platform) you roll into a continuous descending turn until you roll out in the "groove"....the straightaway where you fly the ball. Generally you are shooting for about 15-18 seconds from the time you roll wings level in the groove, and the time you are in the wires.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
How do the Skids reposition on the boat. Some kind of dolleying rig?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
How do the Skids reposition on the boat. Some kind of dolleying rig?

hueyatnight.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The worst is when they shut down on another ship, and someone forgot the wheels!

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The worst is when they shut down on another ship, and someone forgot the wheels!

No, the worst is when they fly-on the skids first at the start of cruise, but nobody brings any wheel kits. On two consecutive fly-ons. By the same squadron.

Flugelman

Contributor
No, the worst is when they fly-on the skids first at the start of cruise, but nobody brings any wheel kits. On two consecutive fly-ons. By the same squadron.

Maybe if the ship kept one or two wheel kits to loan a squadron if they forget theirs. Loan them out with the caveat that the squadron MO gets to stand extra watches during cruise.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the replies guys, I now feel like trying with with my 182. But I think I shall refrain. :p

Pick an approah speed that leaves you nose up (slow as hell in a 182 with full flaps) and flly a tight, low pattern where you round the corners off and fly the PAPI, and you have a tiny inkling of it. I would probably flare in the 182 though.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ok, this is a REALLY stupid question, but in a jet, with the nose up the entire descent, how do you see over it?
O.K. ... while this is a 'stupid questions' thread, you are pushing the envelope on brain-dead stupidity. I suggest you get some stupid study going during your down-time from Air Warriors (ON YOUR OWN TIME) and quit being ridiculous. And quit wasting OUR time w/ juvenile questions every time something pops into your head.

Youth & inexperience is no excuse for being a fool.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Ok, this is a REALLY stupid question, but in a jet, with the nose up the entire descent, how do you see over it?

The actual nose up attitude relative to the horizon is pretty small (maybe a couple of degrees). Angle of attack being the angle that the wing chord line makes with relative wind. In a descent, this relative wind is from somewhat below the aircraft, thus the standard 17 AoA (T-45) or 8.1 AoA (F/A-18) that you fly only results in a small nose attitude above the horizon. In the Hornet specifically, if you are flying a standard 3 degree glideslope, on speed, with descent rate under control, the velocity vector is about 3 degrees below the horizon on the pitch ladder....with the W symbol (corresponding to actual aircraft pitch) sitting at or around the horizon bar on the pitch ladder. Jets have really good forward visibility over the nose, so there is never really any problem seeing what is in front of you.