• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You're thinking about the sight picture in a prop plane. When you think about the sight picture in a jet, think about something like looking over the side of the empire state building. Onspeed in the T45 sticks you around 7-8ish degrees nose up.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Maybe I'm just confused but this seemed like a stupid question: Through my experiences on the board, it seems that there are a quite a number of NFOs on here who have made platform transitions from say P-3s to E-2s or to Prowlers. From this I one might assume that NFOs have better platform mobility than pilots. Is this a common occurrence?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe I'm just confused but this seemed like a stupid question: Through my experiences on the board, it seems that there are a quite a number of NFOs on here who have made platform transitions from say P-3s to E-2s or to Prowlers. From this I one might assume that NFOs have better platform mobility than pilots. Is this a common occurrence?

No, that's not correct. Platform transitions are not common. I know about 7-8 E-2 pilots who've moved communities, but don't know any FO's who've done so. Not to say it isn't done - I'm sure that there are lots of FO's out there who've changed planes - I'm just saying it's not routine, and definitely not more common among FO's.

You may be picking up on all the reshuffling that happened when the S-3 went away.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
No, that's not correct. Platform transitions are not common. I know about 7-8 E-2 pilots who've moved communities, but don't know any FO's who've done so. Not to say it isn't done - I'm sure that there are lots of FO's out there who've changed planes - I'm just saying it's not routine, and definitely not more common among FO's.

You may be picking up on all the reshuffling that happened when the S-3 went away.

That's probably what it is. For instance, I thought guys like Brett who have gone P-3 to Prowlers, but I might be confusing his platform switch with his change from enlisted to officer. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll give you rep even though you don't need it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's probably what it is. For instance, I thought guys like Brett who have gone P-3 to Prowlers, but I might be confusing his platform switch with his change from enlisted to officer. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll give you rep even though you don't need it.

In my transition board we had about 15 pilots but only two NFO's and that seemed to hold true for most of the transition boards I saw. The vast majority of NFO transitions in the past years have been when the A-6 and S-3 communities went away as Hozer pointed out.

SoloDaNINJA

If I am not mistaken, Naval Aviators land at full power. Is it just full military power, or are afterburners involved? Is power applied as you hit the deck, or is it applied right before?
Thanks!

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Ninja, this is the stupid questions thread...but come on man.

429200824542PM_Stupidity.jpg

I'm thinking it'd make a good avatar for Ninja...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Dude had one good question, got a little praise for it, and now has shotgunned a metric shit ton more stupid questions; each one more stupid than the last.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If I am not mistaken, Naval Aviators land at full power. Is it just full military power, or are afterburners involved? Is power applied as you hit the deck, or is it applied right before?
Thanks!
You obviously have a reading comprehension problem. Re-read post #102 in this thread. I guess you don't realize where your troll-like behavior is taking you ... rapidly ???

Just because you CAN post, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

SoloDaNINJA

Im really confused, I dont see whats so stupid about that question. Im not in the military, I am not someone who designs jets, so how am I supposed to know the answers? I apologize if that seems immature, but I thought that I was asking a legitimate question.
My apologies, I will try not to ask anything else.

By the way, yes, I have seen many landing videos, but I dont know how to distinguish afterburner from full power, and I dont know if there is any delay from when the throttle is pushed forward and when the engine responds.