• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stats and Scores

STARFlight145

NROTC, MIDN 1/C
OAR: 47 (ughh, I guess it doesn't count for us NROTC guys anyways)
ASTB: 6/7/6
GPA: 2.9, Criminal Justice (calc and physics dragged me down from a 3.5)
PRT: 87 push-ups, 105 sit-ups, 11:25 1.5 mile
Commission: May 2011
SNA top choice, SNFO second, SWO third

~80 hours of flight time in C172, PPL.
Very good standing with my CO, O6 H-53 driver

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
NROTC MIDN 1/C
ASTB: 7/7/7
GPA: 3.8, Political Science, Russian
PRT: OTL
Class Rank: 4 out of 23
Commission: May 2011
1.SNA 2.SNFO 3.SWO-Intel 4. SWO 5.Subs

Duff_Man!

Out of curiosity, do the boards care about anything you did in high school? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I really am curious.

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
Out of curiosity, do the boards care about anything you did in high school? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I really am curious.

I put down that I was class president for two years in high school and captain of a varsity hockey team. Also did lot's of community service. I don't think chess club in high school would add much weight to one's package but if it is something that qualifies as a leadership role, can't hurt right?

kdenn

22/F
College: Stony Brook University
Degree: B.S. Applied Mathematics/Statistics
GPA: 3.7, magna cum laude
OAR: 50

Awards/Recognitions: Presidential Scholarship, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Sigma Beta Honor Society, Dean's List, Golden Key International Honor Society
LOR's: 1 College Professor, Ex-Chief of the ambulance corp I volunteered with, Boss from previous job
Extracurriculars: Volunteer EMT, Alpha Sigma Alpha national sorority, a lot of volunteer work
Study Abroad: Semester at Sea (12 countries in 2 and a half months)
Miscellaneous: Squeaky clean background (no drug use, no police record, never even had a speeding ticket...)

Application Submitted: JUN 2010
Pro-Rec SWO: 24 SEP 2010
Final Select: TBA

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
^kdenn, good to see another Long Islander/ Stony Brook Alum getting in. Congrats on your pro-rec! What ambulance corp did you ride with?

kdenn

Yeah, Long Island! Agreed, definitely nice to see someone else from Stony Brook around here. I actually rode with Stony Brook ambulance corp. Not the FD, just EMS. Congrats on your pro-rec as well! You're a recent alum too, right?

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
I'll be an alum in May 2011, working on finishing my 5th year there. Good ol' SBVAC eh? I ride with the Stony Brook FD.

kdenn

Ha, yep..good ol' SBVAC. Stony Brook FD's a good company. We probably bumped into each other at some point and didn't even know it. Good luck with the 5 year track. Stony Brook's infamous for that. Where did you go to high school?

bkidd1

I used airwarriors to calm my nerves for about 6 months so I thought I would contribute my stats maybe to do the same for someone else..

PRO Rec SNA October 2010 Board

ASTB: 6 6 6 55
BS Applied Technology Air Traffic Control 3.42 GPA
PPL Instrument 125hours
Prior Service Marine -MOS Air Traffic COntrol
Eagle Scout

LOR: 0-5 Former OIC
Former Employer
Former Employer

1000000 prayers!

PITTENGINEER

Shooting for the April 2011 Boards...

24/m
ASTB: 70 - 9/9/9
BS in Mechanical Engineering from Kettering University (2008) - GPA 3.9
MS in Mechanical Engineer from University of Pittsburgh (2010) - GPA 3.7
Society of Professional Engineers
5+ years work experience in engineering field
8+ years martial arts, including competition and instruction
JROTC Batallion XO during an inspection year
Boy Scouts of America
0.6 Hours in a Cessna 172R (planning to log more hours until the boards come up)

LOR's
1 - US Army Colonel (retired)
1 - US Army Command Sergeant Major (retired)
1 - Professor
4 - Employers

Applying for:
SNA, SNFO, EDO, SWO

calbear627

Hey guys,

I just stumbled upon this site recently and I figured that there would be no better place to ask.

As of right now, I'm a junior at the University of California-Berkeley. I'm studying Economics/Environmental Econ and am on track to graduate in the Fall of 2011. During this past summer I contacted the USMC office and talked to the OSO who informed me that I could in fact pursue a aviator contract in the corps despite being a junior. I've almost completed the application packet, pending a few letters of rec and other paperwork items.

My question comes here, how competitive is it to get a contract for PLC Aviation? My GPA is respectable, ~3.0, my letters of rec will definitely help my case and my PFT/PFA will be around 285 (Max pull up, max sit up, around a 20 minute 3 mile). Quick question for the aptitude test, I realize the better you do, the more competitive you'll be, but what is a "good" score to strive for?

How do my numbers look? I'm hoping to get a slot for this summers 10 week course and upon finishing that, finish school and agree to a aviation contract. I've been attending PT sessions with the Captain himself, along with other OCS and PLC recruits.

NOTE: I attended the USAFA for 40 days, completing Basic Cadet Training (BCT), but several issues at home caused for an unbecoming situation. I left, went to community college; applied for an AFROTC scholarship, got it, and then went to Cal. After a year of AFROTC, I felt that my needs were not being met. I wasn’t being pushed, I felt that the AF didn’t allow me to be the person I was meant to become and therefore left that program as well. UNDER BOTH PROGRAMS- I left voluntarily and have the paperwork to prove it. I feel that in my personal statement I will have a chance to portray my feelings as to why I wasn’t satisfied with the AF and why I feel the USMC is right for me.

If you guys can please help me out and give your opinions on the matter I would greatly appreciate it. I'm in no way promoting or deliberately hating on any of the branches of our military. Each has a specific mission and is justifiably tailored to the needs of that specific branch.

Thank you for your time,

Nickolas

nfortner

Going for the April 2011 board.

26/m

OAR: 61
AQR:8
PFAR:8
FOFAR:8
BA Political Science and History, Univ. Tennessee (2006) GPA - 3.1, Study Abroad in Germany
MA Political Science (International Relations), Villanova University (2009) GPA-3.7

Extracurriculars: American Political Science Assn. (Graduate School), Graduate Student Council (Orientation Leader), American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Undergrad), Shooting Club (Undergrad), NASA Reduced Gravity Flight Ops (Undergrad)

Clean record other than a couple of speeding tickets over the years.

LORs:
1 - USN RDML (Retired, Former Director of Naval Intelligence)
1 - Professor (Graduate School)
3 - Former supervisors/employers (VP of current organization, director of technology services and IT help desk supervisor from previous job)
1 - Mayor of hometown
1 - (Hopefully) US Representative or Senator...still working on this one

Applying for an SNA Age Waiver, SWO, Intel

Working on getting the PRT stats up... PTing at least 5x/week (run 1.5-3mi, weights, medicine ball situps, pull ups, push ups)

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
Pro-rec SNA Nov. 2010 board
also pro-recd for SWO, non-select for intel (though I suspect this is because my motivational statement was clearly written with the intent of flying and nothing else :D). I wanted to put SNA as my only designator, but my OR told me I had to put 3.

24/m

OAR: 69
AQR:8
PFAR:8
FOFAR:8
BS Biomedical Engineering, Univ. Alabama @ Birmingham (2008) GPA ~ 3.1
MS (incomplete, not intending to finish at this time) Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Univ. Alabama @ Birmingham (2010) GPA ~ 3.8

Extracurriculars: Delta Sigma Phi fraternity (undergrad and grad), about 6 different philanthropies that I participated in multiple times per year for about 4 years during college, JROTC drill/rifle team and color guard - 3 years in HS (numerous leadership positions here), cut off long hair and donated to Locks of Love (yes I put this)

Clean record other than a couple of speeding tickets over the years and one MIP that was dismissed.

LORs:
2 - USN O-6 - both retired S3 pilots now working in Washington (one turned airboss before retiring; this one has known me since birth)
1 - USA O-8 - retired; has known for ~8 years
1 - Professor (2 graduate school courses; A's in both)
1 - Former supervisor from a teaching/tutoring job for an electrical engineering course

pre-OCS PRT suspended so I dont have those exact numbers (because of a slip up I do know that I can meet the minimum required push-up/sit-up in less than half the allotted time with plenty of steam to keep going), but am in the best shape I have been in in a while.