• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stats and Scores

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
SNA hopeful (Marines)

Non prior male, 25
6'1" 155 lbs
DEGREES
4.0 Secondary Education & Leadership
3.05 Kinesiology & History
ASTB - 5/6/5

~6 flight hours, no PPL
PFT (285)- 100 crunches, 17 pull-ups, 16:20 3 mile---Will be at 20 pull-ups soon...

Extracurriculars - Captain of high school track, cross-country, and basketball teams, ran 5 years at a DI school with all-conference honors/cross country champ/won 3 straight cross country team titles/team MVP, currently a DI cross country/track coach-3rd year

Does anyone think that this would be a competitive package for the NAVY. I am applying with the Marines right now and waiting to go get my flight physical next week. I am torn with what service to go into. I have done a lot of research and talking to various people. Any suggestions or insight would be awesome. Thanks!

First, the Navy would care less about your PFT until Final Select. However, your stats look fine for the Navy. The only thing I see that someone may say something about on here is your ASTB could be a little higher but wait until you hear whether you got a Pro Rec or Non Select before you take it again. There have been many individuals with that ASTB or similar that was accepted. What did you get on the OAR? The problem with trying to tell someone whether they look good or not is that we have truly NO IDEA. I can wish you good luck though! ;)

Good Job! However, your scores were already COMPETITIVE. The board doesn’t just look at your ASTB they look at the whole person so your score maybe better but you could have probably got in with your original scores if the board liked you. So saying, “I am still wishing I did one point higher in the pilot score.” and“I just want to make sure to get my spot.” basing your entire package off your ASTB score is completely inaccurate. Your ASTB helps but it is not a guarantee by any means. Don’t believe me look at the last board when there are individuals with 8’s and 9’s across the board not getting accepted and individuals with 5’s and 6’s getting picked up. Good Luck in the May boards!

Twobecrazy,

I completely understand that the whole person concept is the most important, which is why I took some steps to help in that department. I wasn't aware that people were getting picked up with 5s and 6s though. That is pretty impressive! I figured that getting a few points higher here and there would help though.

I figure the only other thing I can really do at this point is get some flight hours. To that end I moved where I can save up some money and pay the $70+ an hour to at least rack up a few of them! It sounds like that might show I am committed more than the extra points on the ATSB.

Thanks for the well wishing and I will hopefully be saying I was picked up come May!

Regards

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Twobecrazy,

I completely understand that the whole person concept is the most important, which is why I took some steps to help in that department. I wasn't aware that people were getting picked up with 5s and 6s though. That is pretty impressive! I figured that getting a few points higher here and there would help though.

I figure the only other thing I can really do at this point is get some flight hours. To that end I moved where I can save up some money and pay the $70+ an hour to at least rack up a few of them! It sounds like that might show I am committed more than the extra points on the ATSB.

Thanks for the well wishing and I will hopefully be saying I was picked up come May!

Regards

People in the past have gotten accepted with 4's and 5's recently people were accepted with 5's and 6's. Don't waste your money on flight hours if you can't have at least a PPL by then. The majority of people getting picked up for the program do not have ANY hours. I have seen people rejected that had plenty of flight experience including instructor time and people accepted on the same board that didn't have any. Save that money for something else or at least see what happens from the first board. Be more concerned with the LOR's and motivational statement. Those seem to be more important then flight time.

ashtonmccants

hey man. what did you use to study? i took my test on tuesday for the first time and i got a 4/4/4 44. i want to retake again here in a few weeks. any advice you could give me to increase my score?

Stoked, I raised my scores, but I am still wishing I did one point higher in the pilot score.

6/6/7 56 - first
7/7/8 63 - second

Sorry, I didn't come on here for a while. I recently moved and have been super busy. I wanted to retake the tests for two reasons.

1.) I knew I was capable of far better. With just a little bit of studying, I bumped them up. With more, and an actual guideline, I figured I could pull 8 or 9.
2.) My recruiter showed me what a competitive profile looked like, and it had 7/8/8 59. I wanted to get myself into that range. He said that the 63 was very helpful as "Even though a 59 is the highest 50 you can get, getting in the 60s puts you in a different category.

I just want to make sure I get my spot. It sounds to me like if your recruiter likes you and thinks you are a good fit, it makes all the difference in the world. He mentioned going to bat for one guy and even though it took 6 months and speaking to an admiral, it happened. I should be submitting to the May board as that will allow me to take my physical in June according to my recruiter. That way, I don't have to wait around while my 6 month time period for the eye surgery is happening.

nickman730

stats

BDCP selected for SNA/NFO/INTEL
March '10 board
18/M
Soph.
3.5 GPA bio-medical engineering
8/8/9 63
LOR
Judge/friend
Div I Athletic Director/friend
Superintendent of Education/Principal/Coach
Navy Instructor Pilot/O-5

NAVYBM2

Contributor
BDCP(SNA,NFO,SWO) select March2010 board
27/M Prior service(6 years)
Junior at Wisconsin Physics/Math major (3.45 GPA)
ASTB (5,6,5 52) :icon_mi_5
LOR
My ex CO (O-6) and my two Division Officers (O-3)
I play Soccer, I Ski, and I work on VWs.

A

AlexSmart

24/M/Non-prior
Applying SNA/NFO in June boards (maybe May, need medical clearance finalized)
BA Government/Pre-Law, Eastern Washington University, 3.49 GPA, Dean's List
5 seasons experience of NCAA Division 1 quarterback
60 8/9/9 ASTB
LOR's from two Division 1 head football coaches, interview with Navy O-5

Would be most appreciative of any feedback on my motivational statement on the appropriate thread!

Good luck all!

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
BDCP(SNA,NFO,SWO) select March2010 board
27/M Prior service(6 years)
Junior at Wisconsin Physics/Math major (3.45 GPA)
ASTB (5,6,5 52) :icon_mi_5
LOR
My ex CO (O-6) and my two Division Officers (O-3)
I play Soccer, I Ski, and I work on VWs.

On your side note said you were too old for SNA. My question is, if you are 27 and had 6 years prior, how are you too old for SNA?

TheBirdy

pilot
M/20/Non-prior

BDCP SNA

ASTB- 7/7/7 58

University of Florida Major: Economics, GPA: 2.85 (Damn being Pre-med initally..)
Graduated 8/356 at my medical magnet HS, GPA: 4.7

Awards:
Bright Future's Scholarship
Presidential Honor's Award
Volunteer Honor's Award
Top 10 Honor's

LOR's:
1 from Volunteer Coordinator at Cleveland Clinic Florida, 1 from Hindu temple board member, 1 from H.S. teacher who was in the USMC

Extracurriculars/Activities:
Indian Student Association member
Intramural flag football
Volunteered at Cleveland Clinic for 430+ Hrs./Head volunteer
Volunteered at my Hindu temple for 100+ Hrs.
Secretary of Math Team/Math Tutoring

Other:
No drug usage, DUI's, police record, etc.

Wish my ASTB score was higher, I definitely thought I did better but, my recruiter said I did a great job either way. Confident of my stats, but my GPA will probably prevent me from getting BDCP (IF BDCP is still available, after what I've been hearing). Crossing my fingers for the September board.

Good luck all!

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
NROTC MIDN 2/c

5/7/6 ASTB

3.96 GPA (currently)

Asian Studies/History Double Major

Speak advanced intermediate Chinese

Solid (above 3.0) evals/aptitude along with leadership positions in the Unit

Thoughts?

TheBirdy

pilot
NROTC MIDN 2/c

5/7/6 ASTB

3.96 GPA (currently)

Asian Studies/History Double Major

Speak advanced intermediate Chinese

Solid (above 3.0) evals/aptitude along with leadership positions in the Unit

Thoughts?

What was your OAR score? And what designators are you applying for?

TheBirdy

pilot
NROTC guy so the OAR doesn't count...going for SNA/SNFO/SWO/different flavors of SWO/Nuke

Oo ok, gotcha. Hmm, maybe bump the AQR and FOFAR to a 7+? Just my 2 cents, but I've seen posted stats of applicants that get accepted with 5 and 6's as SNA and NFO. You can apply and see if you get accepted or not. If you don't, just study for the ASTB a little harder and get a higher score to bypass the 6 month requirement for reapplying for the same designator. Your GPA is excellent, so hopefully the board will take the "whole person" approach into account.

Best of luck.

jmhughey

Sounds like some cream of the crop near the top. Good on you men.

OCS Candidate
Junior at IU-Indy
PFT- 290
CFT-292
ASTB- 7,8,8 (Air Contracted)
Student President of the IUPUI Semper Fi Society
Major: Communication Studies minor: Sociology
GPA: 3.78
Est. Commission: June '12

oorah!

eholshou

20, Junior at Arizona State University