• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stadium flyover... anybody?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I think HH-60H might have been at the stadium during the infamous flyover....but I've heard from a few other folks that were there that it appeard that he was below the lights around it.

OBFR467

My personal favorite: Alabama vs. LSU 2005 at Bryant Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, AL. Two different viewpoints. The loudest and most amazing flyover of my college career.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Two f-14s my freshman year, or the B-2 my senior year at tech were badass.
The -14s lit the burners and broke over the stadium... gawking at them was worth getting bitched at for "poor military bearing"

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Haha, not yet! Seen plenty around Norfolk/Oceana though! I'm sure if a T-34 can have a flyby you could get hooked up with one too though!

I'm actually flying T-34'S right now :) Hope to be going back to COD's some day...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
What are the exact rules for flyovers? Do they vary per event/aircraft or are they pretty standard?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What are the exact rules for flyovers? Do they vary per event/aircraft or are they pretty standard?

AIRLANT (I think it is) has started making some absurd rules policy now. Yeah, I get that we don't want to be below the stadium lights, but do we have to be so high that no one can see us? Or so slow that the kickoff happens before the end of the flyby? /rhetoric.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think HH-60H might have been at the stadium during the infamous flyover....but I've heard from a few other folks that were there that it appeard that he was below the lights around it.

I sure was. Even as a dumba$$ MIDN it looked low, although I had no real grasp of what "flathatting" or "flying close to the ground surrounded by thousands of people" meant.

phrogpilot73

I sure was. Even as a dumba$$ MIDN it looked low, although I had no real grasp of what "flathatting" or "flying close to the ground surrounded by thousands of people" meant.
I was there as well, I thought it was pretty sweet at the time...

I've met the pilot as well, he's class of '76 and our season tickets are in the '76 seating area. The way he explained it, it was his last flight before retirement and he decided to go all out. He said that after the flyover he contacted approach and asked "who am I supposed to call when I land?" However, they didn't know about it yet so they had no clue what he was talking about. From what he told me he was grounded for two weeks and got a serious ass chewing all around, but it was largely symbolic since everyone knew he was retiring.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Read the article, the author calls it an "F15" even with "F18" in the title. Reminds me of something I was reading in a Guinness book about Top Gun talking about Tom Cruise raging around in his F-15 Tomcat.