• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shave chit affecting flight status?

Birdbrain

pilot
I know a guy who gets laser hair removal for his face so he doesn't have to shave for a few months and get the nasty painful razor bumps. Food for thought.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kind of like how a significant majority of E-7+/O-3+ ignore the standards/rules for physical fitness? I mean c'mon - I went to a Catholic high school and if your facial hair was out of regs they would hand you a razor and tell you to shave in the bathroom. It's not like that couldn't be an option, it's the damn Navy.
Which rules/standards are being ignored for fitness?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'll let Angry answer for himself, but Brett, you've been in for 20-30 years and Nittany, you more than half that. Big Navy* may have been cracking the whip pretty hard on height-weight and PRT scores in the last few years, but it hasn't always been that way.

* and some commands have been upholding standards all along at the command level (give credit where credit is due)

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'll let Angry answer for himself, but Brett, you've been in for 20-30 years and Nittany, you more than half that. Big Navy* may have been cracking the whip pretty hard on height-weight and PRT scores in the last few years, but it hasn't always been that way.

* and some commands have been upholding standards all along at the command level (give credit where credit is due)
I'd say there was a positive sea change in USN PT culture from when I was a midn to when I got out over a decade later. As a mid on 2/c cruise fat guys were the norm. 10+yrs later and I saw o-3s and Senior enlisted being adsepped for failing weight standards. And then as a mini most of the ABs would hit the gym after 12+hrs of flight quarters.

exNavyOffRec

I have seen commands that held the standard and those that didn't, I was at a command where the CMC (frocked E-9) directed the female HMC to change his measurement, she refused and things went bad for him. I had a department head that couldn't fit through a scuttle and no one seemed to care, a few years later I had a Divo on the fat boy program because he was out of standards.

The USN does everyone a disservice by making sure every command enforces the standards, both the wardroom and the CPO mess.

This is coming from a guy that was either close on weight or had to get taped.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I just want to understand the allegations being made. Yes, some people have been unduly “taken care of” over the years, but to say that that is the case for “a significant majority” does not ring true in my experience now, or 30 years ago. Frankly, that’s a completely preposterous statement.

ben4prez

pilot
I just want to understand the allegations being made. Yes, some people have been unduly “taken care of” over the years, but to say that that is the case for “a significant majority” does not ring true in my experience now, or 30 years ago. Frankly, that’s a completely preposterous statement.

Well our friends at military times may disagree:

Spoiler: “This branch” = Navy

Angry

NFO in Jax
None

See the Navy times article posted above, our elimination of ADSEP for PT/BCA failures, and the number of taped individuals whose numbers on paper don't match reality. The majority of people might not be violating the standards, but they definitely arent doing anything about those that are.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well our friends at military times may disagree:

Spoiler: “This branch” = Navy
Yes, but the argument wasn't that the Navy is/isn't the fattest service. The argument was that a significant majority of E-7+/O-3+ are ignoring the rules/standards (I.E. they're cheating the system). That is clearly not the case. I've been in 6 operational squadrons during my career. I have seen policy on PFA failure ADSEPs wax and wane over those years. We're talking about single digit percentages of people for whom the PFA presents significant career implications.
the number of taped individuals whose numbers on paper don't match reality. The majority of people might not be violating the standards, but they definitely arent doing anything about those that are.
Upon what do you base this assertion? I mean, how do you really know for sure just by looking at someone. I don't know what you folks in MPA are doing with your PFA programs, but every squadron I've been in as an officer has taken it pretty damn seriously. For example, as a CO, I was processing a CPO for ADSEP for BCA failure who was 7 months from retirement. Sanctuary will not save you from a BCA failure. In the interim, the policy changed 2 weeks before he was due to separate, so he got to stay.

We can quibble about what the right policies ought to be, but I simply do not believe that a lot of people a somehow cheating the system.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I simply do not believe that a lot of people a somehow cheating the system.

It totally depends on the person doing the taping and how rigorous they adhere to the instructions. Outright cheating, no. Stretching the definitions, very much so.