• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shave chit affecting flight status?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So last Nov, I challenged a co-worker to no-shave November. He responds that he cannot grow facial hair. Here he is an adult male (Retired CPO) and says he can't grow facial hair which gets me wondering. So I ask, why. He says that he had bad Folliculitis and had laser treatment while in the Navy and now he does not shave and cannot grow facial hair.

Not saying this is the solution, but it might be. Talk to your doc.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
We had one in our airwing. Absolutely zero issues flying with a beard all cruise. The whole concept is a ridiculous myth. I blame some shoe E9 for starting it.
On SUSTEX/FBP last October we went EMCON for almost 3 weeks. The captain of the Vinson gave everyone a blanket no-shave chit for the entire exercise. Doesn't affect mask seal in any noticable way, and everyone looked badass by the time we all had to shave again.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
So last Nov, I challenged a co-worker to no-shave November. He responds that he cannot grow facial hair. Here he is an adult male (Retired CPO) and says he can't grow facial hair which gets me wondering. So I ask, why. He says that he had bad Folliculitis and had laser treatment while in the Navy and now he does not shave and cannot grow facial hair.
Way to single the guy out.

Disability employment awareness month is October so I guess you're good.

:p

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On SUSTEX/FBP last October we went EMCON for almost 3 weeks. The captain of the Vinson gave everyone a blanket no-shave chit for the entire exercise. Doesn't affect mask seal in any noticable way, and everyone looked badass by the time we all had to shave again.
So you're saying you actually deigned to grow a mustache that time? :D

exNavyOffRec

We had one in our airwing. Absolutely zero issues flying with a beard all cruise. The whole concept is a ridiculous myth. I blame some shoe E9 for starting it.

back when this no beard thing started the CPO's back then would have preferred to have beards while drinking their coffee and chain smoking their cigarettes.

exNavyOffRec

The topic about shaving came up in one of my nuke groups, turns out quite a few nuke plants either have the workers remain clean shaven or have them shave twice a year for mask fittings.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just google Sharkey Ward, one picture will tell you all you need to know about a nearly kept beard, a mask seal, and combat effectiveness. But until our rules get changed then them's the rules...

In his autobiography he actually notes that he got permission to wear the beard during the Falklands War only after he told the Captain he didn't need to wear a mask since they were doing most of their flying at lower levels during the war.

A couple of the older hands when I first got in had been in the Navy during the beard era said they thought the main reason we lost the option for them is that far too many ignored the standards/rules in place for beard grooming.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
In his autobiography he actually notes that he got permission to wear the beard during the Falklands War only after he told the Captain he didn't need to wear a mask since they were doing most of their flying at lower levels during the war.

A couple of the older hands when I first got in had been in the Navy during the beard era said they thought the main reason we lost the option for them is that far too many ignored the standards/rules in place for beard grooming.

Like this scraggly looking clown?

Mabus.jpg

robav8r

None
Contributor
. . . . . . far too many ignored the standards/rules in place for beard grooming.
Not to confused with the SPECWAR community and all the bearded pics in various dress uniforms that adorn some of the drinking establishments in Coronado . . .

Angry

NFO in Jax
None

Kind of like how a significant majority of E-7+/O-3+ ignore the standards/rules for physical fitness? I mean c'mon - I went to a Catholic high school and if your facial hair was out of regs they would hand you a razor and tell you to shave in the bathroom. It's not like that couldn't be an option, it's the damn Navy.