• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shave chit affecting flight status?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've tried some bump stop products and I'm meticulous about making sure my face is clean before shaving. I've tried many disposable razors and found a type that seems to be a little less irritating and I swap them out about once a week to keep them sharp. Sensitive shave cream too.

I'll look at the link you provided to see if I can take care of this on my own. Thanks!

As for the dirtbag assumptions. I'm not looking to get out of anything, I just want to stop needing to pull infected, scabby ingrown hairs out of my neck with tweezers on the daily.
Here's my cliff notes version:
  1. Either shave in the shower or immediately following
  2. Get some pre-shave oil, sensitive shave cream (cremo works for me), and some post shave lotion
  3. Safety razor, change the blades at least twice a week. Don't push down and try and get the crazy OCS shave. Let the blade do the work. These razors are SHARP! Don't try and get close, if necessary shave twice. But if you're having issues take it easy.
  4. Shave with the grain, never against
  5. Cold water after followed by shave lotion

If I recall you recently finished OCS. If so, this probably caused it because even if you shaved every day before OCS you're face isn't used to "inspection ready shaves." But you're not in OCS anymore so don't cut so close. A sharp razor will give a much better shave than a 5 blades razor pressed hard to your face.

I made the switch to safety razors a few years ago and never looked back. The shave is closer and I've had far less irritation issues. But get a stiptic pencil because the cuts are something else.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Here's my cliff notes version:
  1. Either shave in the shower or immediately following
  2. Get some pre-shave oil, sensitive shave cream (cremo works for me), and some post shave lotion
  3. Safety razor, change the blades at least twice a week. Don't push down and try and get the crazy OCS shave. Let the blade do the work. These razors are SHARP! Don't try and get close, if necessary shave twice. But if you're having issues take it easy.
  4. Shave with the grain, never against
  5. Cold water after followed by shave lotion
If I recall you recently finished OCS. If so, this probably caused it because even if you shaved every day before OCS you're face isn't used to "inspection ready shaves." But you're not in OCS anymore so don't cut so close. A sharp razor will give a much better shave than a 5 blades razor pressed hard to your face.

I made the switch to safety razors a few years ago and never looked back. The shave is closer and I've had far less irritation issues. But get a stiptic pencil because the cuts are something else.

I shave immediately after a shower, with a focus on getting/keeping the beard area hot and wet. I've found the creamo or Nivea sensitive irritates the least. The shave oil/lotion and the safety razor are what ill try.

Trust me, I'm not shaving to impress any DI's or RDC's. I'm with the grain and about as light as I can manage. The only irritation is on my neck, all below where the jaw transitions to vertical neck. The hairs seem to grow at a slight angle to the skin, not perpendicular, and more often then not don't grow past the surface layer of skin after a few days of shaving.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I shave immediately after a shower, with a focus on getting/keeping the beard area hot and wet. I've found the creamo or Nivea sensitive irritates the least. The shave oil/lotion and the safety razor are what ill try.

Trust me, I'm not shaving to impress any DI's or RDC's. I'm with the grain and about as light as I can manage. The only irritation is on my neck, all below where the jaw transitions to vertical neck. The hairs seem to grow at a slight angle to the skin, not perpendicular, and more often then not don't grow past the surface layer of skin after a few days of shaving.
Yeah, the safety razor is the bomb. Just practice with it on an arm or leg before you dive in on your face. There are some good tutorials online to help. You can't go wrong with the merkur classic.

For your neck the best you can do is figure out how the grain goes; and it's not necessarily straight up and down. I shave my neck at different angles depending on where I am on my neck.

Good luck and getting a no shave chit to let your neck recover for a week or so might not be a bad idea. The about masks , as others have pointed out, is kind of Hokum/tradition these days. It has it's roots in WWI when gas masks were made with far more primitive material that made getting a good seal much harder so the clean face was more important. Modern materials make most of those old requirements moot (like a cows opinion @Jim123 ).

Getting a chit to do with a temporary medical condition isn't a huge deal. If it becomes more of a long term deal then such is life. You might as well say glasses are unprofessional.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Maybe next time you see a fellow officer with a painful rash, tell them to go to the doctor and address it rather than applauding that stupidity? Baby steps towards making us less stupid. Part of the solution and whatnot.

This is the same community that is shocked, shocked I say, to find out that driving boats while critically sleep deprived is dangerous. Don’t expect much in the way of decreasing stupidity.

Dammit, this is the way we’ve always done it and that makes it the best way, except for when we didn’t!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is the same community that is shocked, shocked I say, to find out that driving boats while critically sleep deprived is dangerous. Don’t expect much in the way of decreasing stupidity.

Dammit, this is the way we’ve always done it and that makes it the best way, except for when we didn’t!
The SWO community: 243 years of tradition unimpeded by progress.
Here’s the study. Some O-6 signed off on it.

That’s from 1972, though.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You wanna get rid of bumps? Learn to shave with an old school straight razor. I did and I’ve never had them since.

The key is to keep the blade sharp enough to cut through a ginger’s soul.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You wanna get rid of bumps? Learn to shave with an old school straight razor. I did and I’ve never had them since.

The key is to keep the blade sharp enough to cut through a ginger’s soul.
Yikes. Props to you for using a straight razor, Ive always been too scared to take that leap. Safety razor seemed like a good compromise: plenty esoteric but with limited risk to my jugular.