• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2010 Boards

GoVols1998

Thank you marmoset, you have been very insightful and helpful. However, I have to show a little cynicism, but if I am a non-select my first time, do you have any suggestions on ways to beef up my package for a second go around? By a second time, I will already be MEPS cleared (hopefully). I was also thinking if I could get a stellar/perfect score on the PFT to include with a package that might help a little as well. Any other ideas?

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
I was also thinking if I could get a stellar/perfect score on the PFT to include with a package that might help a little as well. Any other ideas?

A blazingly excellent PFT score doesn't matter TOO much for the board. Hell, you only need a GL to pass the initial OR PRT.

You have two options available for you: 1) extracurriculars/community service. Go volunteer. Show that you are involved when you don't need to be. 2) LORs. Really use those contacts that you developed during college. Send out feelers. Meet with military. Make concerted efforts to get this finished.

Remember, the board looks at the WHOLE package.

Search these boards and usnavyocs for keywords such as "DUI", "Arrest" and so on.

What does your OR say?

ISLong

I plan on making the September Board, but I read somewhere that Supply is cancelled for that. Is that true?

STATS:
ASTB: 6/6/7/56
Choices: SWO/NFO/Supply or Pilot

GPA 3.78/4.0 from SUU
Strong extracurriculars

LOR's
2 Prior employers, both owners of the businesses
City Mayor
O-5 and O-6 one of which is a SWO

ajalali

pilot
Not in for the september boards, but i just wanted to say that marmoset's gouge is spot on and golden. Just put in for the boards my man! It'll all be alright. Good luck everybody!

GoVols1998

marmoset, my OR just told me that something from 4 years ago shouldn't affect me too badly, especially if I have been good since then, because they look at the whole person, just like you all have been saying. Would you mind PMing me your email address? I'm trying to get a lot of people's opinion on my motivational statement since I feel like that could easily make or break my selection.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
marmoset-as a Navy DAPA (who has been one for 5 years) your comments about DUIs not being that bad are making me sick.....and I consider myself one of the cool DAPA's who drinks and homebrews (many are teetotalers).

Wait until you get the guy before you, who is an exellent sailor and looses half a month pay for 2 months and gets knocked down a paygrade (or 2 if he's frocked) for a DUI. Better yet, your hardest worker getting seperated from the Navy as a treatment failure for his second DUI. Whether you like it or not DUIs are taken VERY seriously by the Navy, and they are rules YOU will have to enforce and not throw a bunch of crap out about how laws are BS if you get selected and are allowed in. It may sound extreme, but a look in the civilian world will reveal pretty similar policies, its bad PR when your guys, particularly your guys at the top are out getting DUIs, and many places will $hit can you if you go out and pick one up, especially in a position of authority.

Oh, and the paperwork asks for arrests last I looked. So you have to mention those, whether or not it resulted in a conviction....I know for sure that's the case on the SF86.

In case you were wondering, DAPA=drug and alcohol programs advisor. The guy with the COs ear about alcohol abuse and who has to do all the paperwork and schedule dependency evals when some idiot (including an Officer) gets a DUI, or any other alcohol related offense (believe me, people get creative).

I am in no way saying the DUI will keep the board from selecting someone, that's up to the board. I AM saying you need to stop minimalizing the negative impacts and positive spin you're trying to throw on alcohol issues.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
I never said once in the service that the prescribed punishment for a DUI should not be followed. If one of my sailors under me gets a DUI then I will follow protocol, hopefully this would be after the civil trial if off base.

Oh, and the paperwork asks for arrests last I looked. So you have to mention those, whether or not it resulted in a conviction....I know for sure that's the case on the SF86.

This was not brought up in the conversation. The point I was trying to make (And I do feel I did), was that Govols needn't worry himself into a frenzy about such matters. It's already agonizing enough, waiting for the boards to convene and then get postponed WITH the added luxury of a shrinking job market for those not selected. I was not minimizing your station or your responsibilities. The fact that there IS a DAPA is reassuring as the link from CO to other officers and sailors.

Thank you for your comments. I'm finished as well.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Meeting with the CO almost always occurs before the civilians. Burden of proof is much lower with the Navy, and normally if a guy goes back to the civilian court with an alcohol treatment plan and diagnosis from the Navy and has already been handed a punishment the civilian courts will let it go.

DAPA is normally an enlisted member of the command, as I still am until my commissioning Sunday.

My issue was the "well everyone does it" comments and similar. Sounds like you are trivializing the severity of the action.

A

AlexSmart

I was going to post my self-deprecating, embellishment-filled, alcohol-induced, self-centered motivational statement but considering the current discussion, I will wait for a more appropriate time...

SeaBoundRhino

I thought this was America
pilot
3rd time applying (twice for BDCP)

22/M

Applying SNA

Major: Aerospace Engineering/ Astrophysics GPA: 3.092
ASTB: 6/6/7 57
LORs: Professors/Employers (looking to get another officer interview)
Active triathlete (working towards Ironman)
HS Football and Baseball
College Intramurals Football and Softball

I am a senior in college now and really hoping the third time to apply will get me in.

Good luck to everyone!

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
There could be worse people out there than a simple "oops DUI."
I know this is an older post, but saying "oops DUI" is almost akin to "oops I nearly killed someone, HAHA, funny, HAHA." Yeah, you're an a-hole for nearly putting someone else's life at risk. Also, saying that many people don't get caught is not a justification either.

Just putting it out there, but if you can't lead by example, then you're not a good leader. This is how it affects your package.

I wish I didn't have to ruin someone else's assurances that "sure, you'll be ok", but c'mon man. Don't trivialize it, answer the call straight-on (I made a mistake, I have taken the appropriate actions to fix-it/assure it won't happen again) and don't make excuses.