• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2010 Boards

tpietsch

Pushing on through to what should be just a fantastic September Selection Board.
I was made in this month, I was made for this month.

It's never to early, right? Stats... go:

24/M

Preferences> 1. SNA 2. NFO 3. Supply

GPA: 2.82 Univ. of Oregon (BA Business)
ASTB: 8/8/8 62
ASVAB: 93 (probably won't matter, not even sure why I took this)
PRT: sit (OH), push (OH), run (EL)
1 academic scholarship
HS athletic awards (captain, all-state track, etc.)
College rugby (2 years)
Plenty of extracurriculars including one office held (president)

Motivational Statement: touching and motivated (time to revise, again)

LORs:
2 professors
2 family friends
1 US Senator

Incidentally, since I now have some time to bolster up my packet, does anyone have any advice as to how to go about landing Officer interviews? First steps and success stories would be extra-helpful. Thank you kindly.

Good luck

Lucy

I was told having an interview with an O-4 or higher is new requirement, not sure on that because I haven't seen it in writing. Otherwise, I just kept pestering my OR about it.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
I was told it was not required, somewhat unusual, and totally recommended. It makes your package stand out just a little bit more from the pack.

I asked an O-10 SWO, and he agreed. I know the SWO guys over at sailorbob.com are willing to help out, and maybe some of the officers here would be willing to as well. There's nothing more to it than that. Just having the guts to say, "Sir, would you mind interviewing me?" Truth is I ended up with a few offers from senior leaders. You will find the help, if you ask for it.

tpietsch

Thanks for the advice, Seafort. I'll have a look over at that site.

Here's what I tried to do, initially. I got a list of about 20 emails of US Navy Admirals and basically shot them a "cold" email asking for interviews and possible LORs.

I got one positive response asking for more info about myself and an agreement to do an interview and possibly write an LOR depending on what he sees in me. This has yet to happen.

I got one negative response back saying you should only do interviews with Officers that you know. Well, I don't have this luxury and my OR hasn't provided me with any local Officers to contact. And today my OR tells me that he has received some flak from me doing this. "It's not okay to contact Admirals directly," he warned me.

Was I wrong to do this? I said in my "cold" email, 'I will not be offended if you chose to trash this email.' I want my packet stand out and I'll do anything to make up for the fact that my GPA is below the average of those accepted.

A

AlexSmart

I haven't heard anything about the interview being a requirement (my OR never even mentioned it). However, I agree that it will definitely be a plus for your package. I was lucky enough to interview with a Navy CMDR. I started the app process in January, but I had to jump through some ridiculous hoops with medical waivers, and when I finally get cleared theres a two month break with the selection boards!

SNA/NFO - B.A. Eastern Washington University '09, 3.49 GPA, Government/Pre-Law Major, 60 8/9/9 ASTB, 5 seasons NCAA division 1 QB experience

Holy smokes! Finally getting my name in the hat!

ajalali

pilot
alex, have you been to meps though? If you have, you can almost for sure bet that you'll have a final select letter by november if you get prorec'd!

Seafort

tpietsh, "cold calling" was not the best idea. In point of fact, you should not do interviews with officers you know. That's what Letters of Reference are for. An interview should be done by an officer who is basically acting as a hiring manager of sort- evaluating you for the job. An officer who knows you, especially well, may be biased.

As for directly contacting Admirals, doing so by their official email is probably NOT the way to go about it. A number of Admirals have social media accounts, and I would recommend you send a letter specifically to that Admiral, explaining your desire to have an interview, and why you wish to interview with that person.

The Admiral I asked had participated in a social media event with me, and so he was aware of my existence. I won't go into details, but when I shot him a message via social media, specifically addressing his social media activities as the reason I was approaching him, that seemed to be a sufficient introduction. There was no real connection between us, but the Admiral had made it clear that he could be contacted by anyone for any reason through the social media messaging system with his blessing. I would not have sent him a cold email.

If you actually sent an email to every single serving Flag, AND your OR has been given grief for it, you may find that no one wants to talk to you at that level. Assuming you haven't, however, I would make up a list of Flags who are 1) social media proponents 2) you didn't already email. Then research their histories, watch how they interact in the social media sphere, and choose one to contact with a sincere message expressing why you wanted that Flag specifically to do your interview. This is much more likely to net you a good result.

Well, looks like this is going to be a fun board. Agree with you tpiesch, was made this month, figure out my future this month.

25/M non-prior (hoping I won't be too old as I will be 26 Sept. 20th!)
SNA/SFO/SWO
3.07 BA Communications
7/8/8 63
LOR: O-1, FAA regional director, HR Director at old job, JROTC 0-5 instuctor
Passed MEPS already...
PRT will be 100 when it needs to be taken (need a few more pushups)

Do officers in other brances help out as much? I live in Alaska and there isn't exactly a Navy presence up here, but there is a large Air Force and Army presence.

Anyway, there should be absolutely no reason I am not in this board since my application is 100% done.

ajalali, is that true? That is good news because I just went through MEPS yesterday. I think they are doing the background check right now as well, so just need to get Pro-recced.

Seafort

I turn 27 in October. You have more time than I do. Officer interviews are recommended, and they should come from Navy officers. An LoR from a Navy officer also seems to be par the course.

ajalali

pilot
Well, looks like this is going to be a fun board. Agree with you tpiesch, was made this month, figure out my future this month.

25/M non-prior (hoping I won't be too old as I will be 26 Sept. 20th!)
SNA/SFO/SWO
3.07 BA Communications
7/8/8 63
LOR: O-1, FAA regional director, HR Director at old job, JROTC 0-5 instuctor
Passed MEPS already...
PRT will be 100 when it needs to be taken (need a few more pushups)

Do officers in other brances help out as much? I live in Alaska and there isn't exactly a Navy presence up here, but there is a large Air Force and Army presence.

Anyway, there should be absolutely no reason I am not in this board since my application is 100% done.

ajalali, is that true? That is good news because I just went through MEPS yesterday. I think they are doing the background check right now as well, so just need to get Pro-recced.

totes mcgotes true. If you look at the previous months boards, the guys who have been getting their final selects within a month or two from their pro-rec are the ones that mopped their medical stuff before the boards. Also, as an example for the other side of the coin, I was pro-rec'd in March and I'm STILL waiting to go to meps (granted there was some waiverage that needed to be done). I can't so much say (because I just don't know) that getting through meps before you go to the boards is a package-booster, but I would think it is since it shows the board that you are "medically fit" in the eyes of the military. boom! good luck!

tpietsch

In retrospect, it was a bit presumptuous. I was looking for that “he took initiative” factor. And 1 yes, 1 no and 18 no responses was about the best I could have hoped for. It was a last ditch effort trying to scrape something up for the now defunct July boards.

But now I have some time to rework a more personal strategy. Thanks again for the advice, Seafort.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
To piggyback on what Seafort said, I think that ANY high ranking officer from ANY branch will serve you well. The qualities that a leader must possess are sought throughout the service, not just "Well, he doesn't APPEAR to get sea sick" or some other nonsense.

Use your contacts, your professors' contacts and...actually. You know what> What about the CO of your NRD?

A

AlexSmart

Andy, I went to MEPS in March. That's where I got hung up in psych eval bull**** (BTW for anyone who hasn't been to MEPS, go ahead and lie about how much you drink. To them, 1 beer a day=chemical dependency). GreenLatern, I wanted to be in June but I only received my medical waiver about a week ago.

Just throwing this out there: assuming theres October boards for SNA/NFO, is there any merit to waiting till then to submit? Consider the fact that there is a two month backlog of applicants for the upcoming board, which makes an already competitive selection process that much more competitive. I'm not scared of competition, but why not wait a month to give yourself a better chance of getting selected for what you want?

A

AlexSmart

In point of fact, you should not do interviews with officers you know. That's what Letters of Reference are for. An interview should be done by an officer who is basically acting as a hiring manager of sort- evaluating you for the job. An officer who knows you, especially well, may be biased.

Totally. If you know the Officer well enough why wouldn't you just get a full LOR from him or her.