• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

Sonog

pilot
That is a gut punch. I have basically lost my mind over cell phone users in cars. I nearly got smashed by a distracted driver while walking across the street and lately it takes ages to get through a traffic light because the first 10 seconds of a green light are gobbled up by people checking their social media feed.

My rage has no bounds for that non sense. You have 1 second before I'm on the horn these days. Add to that the number of people who think stop signs are yields, aggressive "lane switchers" on the highway, and facetimers while driving... I feel like I'm booming out here but, god damn drivers "these days"! Self-driving cars can't come soon enough. You motorcycle riders are downright suicidal.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
aggressive "lane switchers" on the highway,
Come to greater Seattle, where "keep right except to pass" is the funniest joke in town. You basically have to be a "lane switcher" to pass those boneheads on the right, because they'll sit there going 3 under the speed limit and won't move over.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Come to greater Seattle, where "keep right except to pass" is the funniest joke in town. You basically have to be a "lane switcher" to pass those boneheads on the right, because they'll sit there going 3 under the speed limit and won't move over.
I'm seeing this on my daily treks to Boeing field from Bellevue ?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That absolutely sucks, I hope you are ok. I know a few that had that happen including my dad several years ago, had his car also about 2 weeks and some young woman made a left and hit him head on. He was OK and went through a company that proved diminished value of the car so the other insurance company ended up paying more money to make up the difference.
I'm fine, which I'm thankful for- it could have been a lot worse. This is why I have good insurance!
That is a gut punch. I have basically lost my mind over cell phone users in cars. I nearly got smashed by a distracted driver while walking across the street and lately it takes ages to get through a traffic light because the first 10 seconds of a green light are gobbled up by people checking their social media feed.

It was really frustrating when I realized that he wasn't paying attention, wasn't really slowing down, and that there was nothing I could do about it but sit there, take it, and hope for the best... There's a joke in there somewhere...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm seeing this on my daily treks to Boeing field from Bellevue ?
When I drive on 405 and 520 to and from Seattle I feel like I am surrounded by people trying out for NASCAR.
Yeah, because that's all the 20-something techies and the teenage kids of their managers. From Renton to Fed Way is just morons.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I drive on 405 and 520 to and from Seattle I feel like I am surrounded by people trying out for NASCAR.

yeah 405, when it is flowing, flows no slower than 15-20 over the limit. I-5 on the other hand......like Nittany said, is where the idiots who learned to drive somewhere stupid, choose to drive. The same kind of people that think a yield sign means a full stop, every time, regardless of oncoming traffic.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Sound like the whole state of VA

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Sound like the whole state of VA
With apologies to (movie) Patton:

“Now, some of you drivers, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken-out when you reach the Occoquan bottleneck. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all go insane. The phone-lookers and lane-changers are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Drive them into the guardrail. When you put your mind to that bunch of goo that a moment before was your well-timed drive to Quantico, you'll know what to do.”

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
With apologies to (movie) Patton:

“Now, some of you drivers, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken-out when you reach the Occoquan bottleneck. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all go insane. The phone-lookers and lane-changers are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Drive them into the guardrail. When you put your mind to that bunch of goo that a moment before was your well-timed drive to Quantico, you'll know what to do.”
This? every time I’m driving back from Yorktown on a Sunday afternoon I feel like Michael Douglas from Falling Down.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I have a question for the EV ownership crowd. There was recently a discussion over gas price savings but I ‘m wondering if those are dented or washed away by state EV taxes to make up for lost gas tax revenue? Here in VA there is a tax on EV and a friend of mine with a Tesla says he feels it mostly washes away any real gas vs electric costs…but he still loves the car and loves being able to fill it up at home.

What are you seeing out there in the peanut gallery?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I have a question for the EV ownership crowd. There was recently a discussion over gas price savings but I ‘m wondering if those are dented or washed away by state EV taxes to make up for lost gas tax revenue? Here in VA there is a tax on EV and a friend of mine with a Tesla says he feels it mostly washes away any real gas vs electric costs…but he still loves the car and loves being able to fill it up at home.

That's a great question. I'm also curious about the maintenance costs of an EV versus a combustion engine car over its lifetime.

From what I've read, EV batteries can be expected to last around 10 years? Is it anticipated that the replacement cost of those batteries will be alot cheaper in the future? And how does that replacement cost compare to the cost of getting regular oil changes and new air filters on a non EV engine that can last much longer? I genuinely have no clue...

Asking for a guy that likes to hump a nickel and maintain my legacy platform for as long as possible. ?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

That's a great question. I'm also curious about the maintenance costs of an EV versus a combustion engine car over its lifetime.

From what I've read, EV batteries can be expected to last around 10 years? Is it anticipated that the replacement cost of those batteries will be alot cheaper in the future? And how does that replacement cost compare to the cost of getting regular oil changes and new air filters on a non EV engine that can last much longer? I genuinely have no clue...

Asking for a guy that likes to hump a nickel and maintain my legacy platform for as long as possible. ?

Ask me in a couple years when my free charging expires for real numbers.

BUT-

it costs me about 12 dollars off peak to go 250 miles when I charge at home. My Outback got 22 MPG, so 375 miles on a 17 gallon tank of gas.

17 gallons at 3.75 (average, it's 3.99 here in western Mi) is 63.75 a tank.

$12 to 250 miles vs $63 for 375 miles.

On an out of town road trip the savings does not compute. And also realize that in town for the next two years my charging is free.

There are plenty of folks out there who are saving a lot of money and plenty who are losing their ass.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I have spent a whopping $142 in charging costs - mostly at home - to go 5800 miles on my Tesla M3. This is a no brainier.

To have driven that mileage in the car I replaced - would have conservatively cost me $1080.

No brainer.

I expect the maintenance savings will pile up quickly. Other that tires, I expect near zero maintenance costs.

Everything is online with my pre-purchase analysis on my driving habits. I spent $4,000 on gasoline in CY 22. I expect my energy costs for same mileage on my Tesla to run ~$900

I also plan to leverage my POV when permitted on DTS travel, further improving the calculus.

Last edited:

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I think I asked my question poorly. I understand the basic cost savings, I am asking about the additional tax that EVs have to pay in some 30 states to make up for lost revenue on the gas tax (Virginia for example). Do those taxes push your electric vs gas calculations in a different direction?