• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Not at all - I pay under 9 cents per kw/H here at home and that is where I do the majority of my charging. If I were to go on a significant road trip - say 800-900 miles to Boston or NYC and I used Tesla Supercharger network at an average of 30 cents per KW/h I would still be well under the cost of gasoline at 3.75/gallon.

Now out west - California as an example where energy prices are very high - I can see where this story would hold true in *some* scenarios - e.g. not charging at home and using Super Charger network entirely.

I look forward to seeing how public policy and private infrastructure build plays out!

So far I am really enjoying the car.

exNavyOffRec

Not at all - I pay under 9 cents per kw/H here at home and that is where I do the majority of my charging. If I were to go on a significant road trip - say 800-900 miles to Boston or NYC and I used Tesla Supercharger network at an average of 30 cents per KW/h I would still be well under the cost of gasoline at 3.75/gallon.

Now out west - California as an example where energy prices are very high - I can see where this story would hold true in *some* scenarios - e.g. not charging at home and using Super Charger network entirely.

I look forward to seeing how public policy and private infrastructure build plays out!

So far I am really enjoying the car.
How much of a jump have you seen in your insurance rates, I know everyone's rates are going up but from my friends in insurance EV's are getting hit the hardest due to repair cost.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
How much of a jump have you seen in your insurance rates, I know everyone's rates are going up but from my friends in insurance EV's are getting hit the hardest due to repair cost.

My rate went up fairly significantly- about 250 dollars per 6 months. I'm also using USAA, which I'm learning isn't the most competitive in the market. I'm thinking about asking my homeowners provider- Nationwide- what they can do for me.

exNavyOffRec

My rate went up fairly significantly- about 250 dollars per 6 months. I'm also using USAA, which I'm learning isn't the most competitive in the market. I'm thinking about asking my homeowners provider- Nationwide- what they can do for me.
I have been looking as well as everyone is taking big hikes, if you haven't had a rate hike recently get ready for one, the insurance companies lost billions of dollars last year.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Affirm - similar to @Swanee - $250 /6 mos jump. Definitely BS. USAA is in profit taking mode.

exNavyOffRec

Affirm - similar to @Swanee - $250 /6 mos jump. Definitely BS. USAA is in profit taking mode.
Not really, insurance companies are losing quite a bit of money due to claims, State Farm had an 11+ billion dollar loss, Allstate 1.4, USAA I think was 1.3, and essentially most other companies were around 1-2 billion in losses as well. I still have friends that are either agency owners or working for agency owners in a few different companies and the companies have all said the same thing, cost of used vehicles, cost of parts, lack of available parts and cost of labor. We are all going to be taking it in the shorts for car insurance, but the EV owners are going to be taking the brunt of it due to higher cost and loss rate.

On the homeowner side it is all about the cost of materials going up anywhere from 14% to 125% as well as labor cost.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
On the homeowner side it is all about the cost of materials going up anywhere from 14% to 125% as well as labor cost.
Homeowners here has a max cap for total home replacement. I did some improvements on the house (new 4 season sunroom, etc...) and was concerned that my insurance wouldn't cover the new cost of total home replacement.

Turns out I was right. They asked for a bunch of pictures, and upped the coverage (and the rate). Another thing my agent said was that they are looking to starting to do regular appraisals of the houses they insure, most likely every 2-3 years. So that's another cost.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Well fuck me. I've got the new car for 2 weeks and I get rear ended at a stoplight by a west Michigan rusted out shitbox 2002 GMC Acadia. I watched in the rear view mirror as the guy was looking down at his phone. 750 miles on the odometer, and it still has the temp tags on it.

USAA has been great (as usual). Other guy got the ticket for not stopping. I get the adjuster to estimate the cost of the damage on Monday, but the initial estimates based on photos seems to be really expensive- especially since all of the sensors and all still work.

I'll share the cost as an FYI, as the USAA guy says that anything and everything regarding the repairs of an EV is super expensive and may kill the value of this car. Glad I have GAP insurance.
1000009808.jpg1000009806.jpg

exNavyOffRec

Well fuck me. I've got the new car for 2 weeks and I get rear ended at a stoplight by a west Michigan rusted out shitbox 2002 GMC Acadia. I watched in the rear view mirror as the guy was looking down at his phone. 750 miles on the odometer, and it still has the temp tags on it.

USAA has been great (as usual). Other guy got the ticket for not stopping. I get the adjuster to estimate the cost of the damage on Monday, but the initial estimates based on photos seems to be really expensive- especially since all of the sensors and all still work.

I'll share the cost as an FYI, as the USAA guy says that anything and everything regarding the repairs of an EV is super expensive and may kill the value of this car. Glad I have GAP insurance.
View attachment 38616View attachment 38617
That absolutely sucks, I hope you are ok. I know a few that had that happen including my dad several years ago, had his car also about 2 weeks and some young woman made a left and hit him head on. He was OK and went through a company that proved diminished value of the car so the other insurance company ended up paying more money to make up the difference.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

View attachment 38616View attachment 38617
That is a gut punch. I have basically lost my mind over cell phone users in cars. I nearly got smashed by a distracted driver while walking across the street and lately it takes ages to get through a traffic light because the first 10 seconds of a green light are gobbled up by people checking their social media feed.