• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Strangely enough it's about 50/50. This fall I'm going to blow in insulation into the voids on the one wall and the one partial wall that isn't insulated, as well as insulate the door. That will help with heating the master bedroom (which has the floor insulated in the spots above the garage) a bit more as well.

Not strange at all- mine is only insulated on the shared wall with the house. I'm starting with blown insulation above the ceiling, since that will have the greatest benefit. My goal is insulation all the way around and OSB panels for mounting tools, etc. (an epoxy floor would be awesome, while I'm dreaming). I'm not happy with how hot/cold it gets in there, particularly since our chest freezer lives in the garage.

number9

Contributor
I basically wired the Tesla OEM Mobile charger in my garage with an Amazon bracket and chord holder to a 240v 30 Amp plug in my garage - it gives me Level 2 and seems to work well. I've had no problems charging overnight.

The Base CE folks have advertised that L2 charging is coming on base next year - will see.
Any particular reason you didn't go for the "regular" home charger, i.e. the one that mounts permanently and can go up to 60A output?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Any particular reason you didn't go for the "regular" home charger, i.e. the one that mounts permanently and can go up to 60A output?
Yeah - I only have access to a 30 Amp circuit and the install of wiring in my condo to get 60A would be expensive and I would have to go to my HOA and their ridiculous processes.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gotta be honest, if they were a bit less pricey or I was a bit better-paid, I’d give the Cybertruck a serious look based on that it’s made out of stainless steel. That’s got to be a plus for a car you can keep, corrosion-wise. Wonder how much battery life plays into that.

ChuckMK23

pilot
With reference to road bound EVs, here is an interesting story on EV progress in aviation…

As battery technology gets better I find myself in the camp of people who believe this is the future for non-turbine General Aviation. All this talk of compression engine technology (diesel / JET A) will finally die and be leap-frogged by battery based EV technology. Its not difficult to imagine the airframe retrofit option - with wing mounted batteries supplanting fuel tanks. MTBF specs will come of age as will appropriate Part 23 like redundacy. This is the only hope to keep GA somewhat accessible and affordable.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As battery technology gets better I find myself in the camp of people who believe this is the future for non-turbine General Aviation. All this talk of compression engine technology will finally die and be leap-frogged by battery based EV technology. Its not difficult to imagine the airframe retrofit option - with wing mounted batteries supplanting fuel tanks. MTBF specs will come of age as will appropriate Part 23 like redundacy. This is the only hope to keep GA somewhat accessible and affordable.
I imagine some kind of hybrid model will get us there, especially in helicopters. Still, I’d love a Griz-O-Copter that could travel 300 miles or so on a single charge!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Gotta be honest, if they were a bit less pricey or I was a bit better-paid, I’d give the Cybertruck a serious look based on that it’s made out of stainless steel. That’s got to be a plus for a car you can keep, corrosion-wise. Wonder how much battery life plays into that.

That thing is fugly. If it's made of stainless, it's also going to be HEAVY. Ground clearance looks decent. If the aero and weight distribution aren't all f'd up, it might be pretty fun to drive with quadruple ludicrous-speed-plaid-mode-subscribe-now-to-unlock motors. However, to me, the whole project smacks of Elon Musk hubris- online specs don't look entirely realistic to me (Procedural biases with EPA estimation methods are well noted). Based on what I've seen, I think the "Cybertruck" will be way later and lower quality (or higher price point) than what is currently promised. Quality, price, schedule: pick two.

Plus the name: Cybertruck... The 1970s called, they want their name back.

Count me out- my diesel Silverado will continue to serve me for many more years, and with solid fuel economy and no subscription requirement.

Edited: I answered a couple of my own questions using Wiki... lesson relearned.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

pilot
I imagine some kind of hybrid model will get us there, especially in helicopters. Still, I’d love a Griz-O-Copter that could travel 300 miles or so on a single charge!

1690922614924.png

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

I've decided that I'm going with a 48amp Emporia charger that costs $400. I'm running a 50amp circuit in my house from the panel in the basement to the garage and it is costing me about $400 in materials- most of that in the 6/3 with ground wiring that I have to use to meet code. Consumer's energy has a $500 rebate program for L2 EV chargers that I'll qualify for. So $300ish total and probably a half day of work to be able to charge at home. It's also important to note that you can only use 80% of your total amperage load because of how long it takes to charge and the heat produced in the wiring. So I'll get 40amps out of it. 40amps will recharge my car in about 4 hours or so. To get a full 60 or 80 useable amps you're probably looking at having to increase the service to your house (especially if you live in an older one with only 100 amps). That's going to cost a lot more than $1000 bucks or so.

Last edited: