• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Self Defense stories

H60Gunner

Contributor
How about a dog and an alarm system? That’s all we’ve had since having kids. No way would I ever dream of having a loaded weapon in a house with kids.

If you are smart about it, there will be absolutley no problems. Buy a good quick access safe like the one Schnugg suggested. I prefer the V-Line safes myself. When the kiddos are big enough, start the education. When they go over to little Johnnies house to play/spend the night do you screen the house for unsecured weps?

pickle- they do make wall safes that are large enough to stow that scatter-gun. V-Line makes one and others too.

I keep mine locked up. One loaded in a quick access safe, the others in a 550lb Browning full size safe. I know they are expensive but it's better than coming home to find a dirtbag standing there holding your loaded wep.

The quick access safe is just there to give me a chance to fight my way to the big safe when the zombies come....:D

Waldo

Harrier Bubba
pilot
2. Quick access lock box.

Get a handgun safe. Can be bolted down as well. Ready in my hand in seconds.

My kids are six and four. When my oldest was born, securing my guns was not an option. I keep one .45 in the bedroom in a quick access handgun safe. The rest of the pistols and the long guns are locked up in a full sized safe.

That being said all my guns are locked up tight. I just can't bring myself to take the chance.

I accept that the odds of that type of break in are far lower than the odds of my son making a seven year old decision to check out my guns unsupervised.

FlyBoyd, I think you're spot on with your last comment. Even if my son develops the discipline to break down an AR blindfolded, I can never be sure of his friends.

A cable lock fed through the action may also be a suitable alternative to secure a long gun.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Bevo16

pilot
How about a dog and an alarm system? That’s all we’ve had since having kids. No way would I ever dream of having a loaded weapon in a house with kids.

:confused:

If you don't have enough faith in your ability to keep a kid safe from a gun, you probably don't need to be owning one anyway.

Jeff Foxworthy has a game show that you might want to try out for.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone here had experience with one of these? Is it worth it?
http://storesense1.mysuperpageshost...-36/gunvault-multi-biometric-1000,/Detail.bok

I paid a lot less for mine and I'm very happy with it. The biometric ones I've played with seemed even faster than just the punch code ones, but there is that price difference of 600%.

A determined thief with a little time could pry open any one of them, so the extra cash is not buying higher security, just quicker authorized access.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I paid a lot less for mine and I'm very happy with it. The biometric ones I've played with seemed even faster than just the punch code ones, but there is that price difference of 600%.

A determined thief with a little time could pry open any one of them, so the extra cash is not buying higher security, just quicker authorized access.

I am more concerned about my ability to get the pistol when woken up with a start, I am not all that good when it comes to well-coordinated action when I first wake up and figured I would see if the extra ease and shorter time were worth the expense. Just thought I would ask.

Huggy Bear

pilot
I am more concerned about my ability to get the pistol when woken up with a start, I am not all that good when it comes to well-coordinated action when I first wake up and figured I would see if the extra ease and shorter time were worth the expense. Just thought I would ask.

My bedroom was on the second story and we had an alarm system, I always figured that would give enough warning. I had the same safe as schnugg; as you can see it is only a 4 digit keypad and the numbers are all raised for stumbling in the dark. Opening it is as simple as punching in a 4 digit pin; there is a light on the inside once the door opens.

Bevo16

pilot
I am not all that good when it comes to well-coordinated action when I first wake up and figured I would see if the extra ease and shorter time were worth the expense. Just thought I would ask.

No kidding.

If you were, you would probably be sporting some of these:

wings_pilot.gif

;)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But alas, it probably had more to do with the fact I can't see the top of the eye chart. :D

I was going to say, I don't have very fast coordination right when I wake up either. I'm not 22 and in OCS any more.

Which is exactly why I want a shotty vice a handgun for home defense... just a fraction of a better chance of hitting the intended target. I think the real problem with this thread is having kids in the house of a loaded firearm. Why not just get rid of the kids?

Flugelman

Contributor
I was going to say, I don't have very fast coordination right when I wake up either. I'm not 22 and in OCS any more.

Which is exactly why I want a shotty vice a handgun for home defense... just a fraction of a better chance of hitting the intended target. I think the real problem with this thread is having kids in the house of a loaded firearm. Why not just get rid of the kids?

We did... after 19 years.:D Still got the guns, tho...

Fred

:confused:

If you don't have enough faith in your ability to keep a kid safe from a gun, you probably don't need to be owning one anyway.

Jeff Foxworthy has a game show that you might want to try out for.

Ever have other people's kids in your home? Ever leave your kids home alone and risk the possibility they will let their friends in when they are not supposed to? Has nothing to do with being smarter than a 5th grader. Honestly, if I ever felt so unsafe in my own home to feel I needed to keep a loaded gun for protection, I would move.

Random break ins are extremely rare and I would never willingly live in an area they were a frequent occurrence.