• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Self Defense stories

Bevo16

pilot
I still have my doubts about the whole 'home invasion' story. It is an awfully rapid response to what I would think is a pretty unusual 'home invasion'. And the details are awfully thin for the target.

It just smells funny to me, I am not sure what the LEO's here think.

It sounds to me like a bunch of guys were going to kill the guy who was in his garage, he saw them coming and got his gun and fought them off. From the story, it does not sound like the guys were looking to steal the TV and turn over the flower pots looking for grandma's jewelry.

It's still an crazy video.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I still have my doubts about the whole 'home invasion' story. It is an awfully rapid response to what I would think is a pretty unusual 'home invasion'. And the details are awfully thin for the target.

It just smells funny to me, I am not sure what the LEO's here think.

Yeah, I'm not a cop by any means but it just looked weird. I mean, unless he was sitting there watching his cameras and waiting, that was an amazingly rapid response to those guys running in.

Either way, great vid.

navy09

None
Apparently happened in Tuscon, last Thursday.

Figures. That stuff happens regularly enough here that I hadn't even heard about this.

I try to always be armed when I go out the front door at night. It would seem that I should re-asses that plan.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Seeing as those looked like minorities, I think this was an editing room cut of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino. He had his M1 within arms reach and put a couple 30-06' rounds through that murdered-out Chrysler

FlyinRock

Feddoc
My take was a gang deal to take down a specific target. The point they got scared off by someone shooting is the question?
The fact they got scared off by someone shooting is the point!
Part of this thread is reacting to a potential home invasion and I maintain many of the regulars here would be too late in responding efficiently.
Disbelief and shock that it could actually be happening to them (is that any different than an engine failure on takeoff?...hmmmm) can cause some brain farts that can be fatal.
I had a home invasion in Anaheim CA back about 1983 after a burglary the day before. The assholes saw a couple safes and figured they were worth hitting in force. Problem was I was ready to greet them at midnight and they didn't expect that. No one killed due to my self discipline and thoughts of potential liability for mass murder with four gangbangers dead in my yard. However, they did leave shit trails as they departed my area.
While we can laugh and hoot/holler at these kinds of videos, they should also be used as training films and heads up to deal with such problems in our particular environment. When we go into a combat environment, we go into the cocked and locked mode. What happens when we come home? We frequently go into a very unsafe condition with our guard down. Some call it Condition White. If someone invades our sanctuary, most will be slow to respond.
I try to stay cocked and locked. Some will call me radical. Anyone with half an operational lobe will not try to penetrate my sanctuary without heavy losses. Been several home invasions in this locale which simply puts me farther up on the cocked and locked scale. Not if, but when ......
Semper Fi
Rocky

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I try to stay cocked and locked. Not if, but when ......Some will call me radical ....
Likewise ... and if anyone can tell me "when" the goblins are coming -- postmortem I'll buy 'em something nice for all their trouble and foresight.

When it's potentially YOUR life & limb at stake, who cares what "some" will call you ... ??? :)

Bevo16

pilot
I hope that nobody here gets any sense of security because they think that this looks like something that would happen "in another part of town" or to a minority or gang group that they are not part of.

Just 6 days ago, at a place calle Panera Bread (a bakery and sandwich shop 5 miles from where I live in the Memphis burbs) one middle age white dude got in an argument with another middle age white dude about how close he had parked his Yukon Denali to the other guy's Hummer.

The victim thought that the argument was over, and was just standing by the door of the bakery talking to a friend from church. The other guy had gone to his hummer to get his handgun, walked up to him and shot him multiple times in the chest. The victim saw the shooter coming at him, and could not do anything about it.

There are plenty of "bad" parts of Memphis where stuff like this happens pretty much every day over drugs, hookers, rims, sneakers, or whatever. You can avoid those areas, but some of that crime is going to leak out, and you never know when a "normal" guy is just going to snap and come at you with a gun. You are only as protected as the firepower you have within immediate reach, and your ability to employ that firearm.

The economy is going to get worse, and people are going to get more desperate. Even normal folks are going to do stupid and violent things. If you can, get a permit and carry. Train with your weapon. Be ready to use it. Even the best cops are several minutes away. That video is proof that you don't have time to call 911.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Background story:
http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/local/story/52-Year-Old-Man-Shot-and-Killed-at-Cordova/hFvO2TzoOk-WZ6t21GaoHQ.cspx

...The SUV’s were parked close together and police say that's what started the fight. ...Police say the argument turned into a shoving match followed by punches being thrown.
Pretty sad and avoidable incident.

Some "rules" I try very hard to live by:

1) Humble yourself, be the better person, and walk away

2) Never start sh*t with a stranger; never talk sh*t to a stranger

3) Maintain your situational awareness at all times (see link, below)

I'm with FlyinRock, though, in that I operate within the Cooper Color Codes: white, yellow, orange, and red. Unfortunately, I am in condition yellow from the moment I step foot outside of my house with occasional "blips" to orange and then, back down to yellow.

Definitions:
http://www.teddytactical.com/SharpenBladeArticle/4_States%20of%20Awareness.htm

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
The crappier the economy gets the more desperate these kinds of thugs are going to become, and the more common attacks like this are going to be. These people who pulled the invasion are obviously did not live next door.

I was just talking about this with my roommate yesterday afternoon.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Feddoc

I try to stay cocked and locked. Some will call me radical. Anyone with half an operational lobe will not try to penetrate my sanctuary without heavy losses. Been several home invasions in this locale which simply puts me farther up on the cocked and locked scale. Not if, but when ......
Semper Fi
Rocky

Same here and same as when I ride my bike. I plan for something bad to happen and mitigate that as best I can.

Bubblehead offers good gouge.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
If you can, get a permit and carry. Train with your weapon. Be ready to use it. Even the best cops are several minutes away. That video is proof that you don't have time to call 911.

Great advice. Even if you never plan to carry, the training you go through for a carry permit is good stuff. When you finish you will know exactly what you "can and can't" do with in the law to defend your life. My rule of thumb is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 but staying legal is good to.