• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Searching for a date to get married

USMCMidd

Hello all. I just got engaged about 1.5 months ago and now we are trying to find a date to have a wedding. I just started IFS in Pensacola and estimate roughly a Spring/Summer of 2009 winging. Does anyone have any experience in getting married during flight school? Maybe not yourself, but friends possibly? Was thinking about planning on Labor Day weekend of 2009 due to the fact that it is a 96 and change maybe. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Please dont say "Dont do it!" cause i have heard that about 100 times already... haha

robav8r

None
Contributor
Hello all. I just got engaged about 1.5 months ago and now we are trying to find a date to have a wedding. . . (insert the "you're putting the carriage before the horse" quote here) . . . I just started IFS in Pensacola and estimate roughly a Spring/Summer of 2009 winging.

I think you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment if you seriously try and set a hard date for a wedding when so much of your immediate future is uncertain. I would wait until you have completed a majority (at least) of flight school and then try and set a date. IMO of course ;)

BourneID

pilot
The courthouse is open every weekday barring any federal holidays, you are just as married if you do it there, than if you do it in a church. However the wedding is more about your fiance and less about you. I personally wouldn't try to plan something 2 years out. You should be free and clear around this Christmas, just do it then.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are serious about getting married....Consider getting married secretly by a JOP. You'll pull down married BAH, which over the next two years can pay for a lot of your wedding/honeymoon.

Plus if something happens to you in flight school...she's not "just a girlfriend" to your family as she can reveal you were married. Also helps with medical benefits as she is a dependant.

I got married six months before the official wedding with my wife. No one ever knew, no one still does...and now 13+ years later, would it really matter?

Even being married already, I was still quite nervous at the wedding ceremony.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are serious about getting married....Consider getting married secretly by a JOP. You'll pull down married BAH, which over the next two years can pay for a lot of your wedding/honeymoon.

Plus if something happens to you in flight school...she's not "just a girlfriend" to your family as she can reveal you were married. Also helps with medical benefits as she is a dependant.

I got married six months before the official wedding with my wife. No one ever knew, no one still does...and now 13+ years later, would it really matter?

All but one of my good military buddies (about 10 guys) got married before their church ceremony, including yours truly. It was pretty much the standard because of the legalities involved with the military including BAH, moving, insurance, medical care, access to the base, etc.

Wait until you are much further along in the program, when you are looking at winging or the RAG, to plan a church ceremony. The big holidays are 'safer' than others but with the military no date is ever completely 'safe'. Others who have gotten married in your time frame should be able to give you more advice.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I got married during primary.. church ceremony. We scheduled the wedding around what were at the time, orders to a DDG and what the ships potential schedule was, after much consultation with certain SWO Hinges & JO's.

I ended up getting orders to P-Cola, and didn't report to the boat. Almost wasn't able to get married... It was a bitch and a half working out the scheduling. Scheds was pretty accommodating though...

This all meaning that it is pretty hard to set a date far in advance. You may or may not have to reschedule it. I lucked out and didn't have to. But I only got Thursday afternoon until Monday morning... my weekend went something like this:

Thurs AM: Fly contact checkride.
Thus PM: Fly from P-Cola to Philly, meet Mom & Sister @ Ft. Dix.
Fri AM: Pick up rental car and go to rehearsal.
Fri PM: Get uniform stolen, borrow groomsman's uniform, try to get him a tux. Realize store doesn't have tux in his or my size.
Sat AM: Drive all over South Jersey looking for whites shoes.
Sat PM: Arrive at church 30 min late, get married.
Sat Night - Sun AM: HONEYMOON!!!!!
Sun PM: Fly back to P-Cola.

Basically, don't count of a solid date, if you do set a date, let the CoC know the minute you check into the squadron. Most VT's are pretty accommodating, providing scheds and production allow for it.

If you get it, you'll be in for a short, but enjoyable weekend.

Congrats.

helo_wifey

We did the JOP thing in secret. 2 family members know right now, everyone else thinks we're still dating. We're planning on "getting engaged" and having the ceremony next year. No one else will find out that we did the JOP, because it doesn't matter.

It's just a piece of paper...the marriage is what happens day to day.

*we'll have been married 2 years in January without people knowing...having no pressure from the fam is great. :) plus the intrigue is fun

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's another vote for JOP. We had a secret wedding and the big wedding later when the scheduling was a little more predictable. Good luck with everything!

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now that we've all....
CatsOutoftheBag.jpg

I got ask the question Bubba...what kind of white shoes exactly were you looking for?

andrew_shoes-704775.jpg

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And as the standard MB disclaimer, DO NOT GET MARRIED FOR JUST BAH.

Of course not...but if you really plan to get married, why not do it now and gain a little $$$ at the same time to help things along? :eek:

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
We did the JOP thing in secret. 2 family members know right now, everyone else thinks we're still dating. We're planning on "getting engaged" and having the ceremony next year. No one else will find out that we did the JOP, because it doesn't matter.

It's just a piece of paper...the marriage is what happens day to day.

*we'll have been married 2 years in January without people knowing...having no pressure from the fam is great. :) plus the intrigue is fun

Ummm, doesn't your screen name give it away?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do this (we did). If you're going to get married anyway, it's by far the best option. You can figure out a date after you've progressed some more in flight school.

As far as an actual church ceremony goes, don't expect more than a weekend. It's EXTREMELY difficult to plan something like this out because you don't really know where you'll be several months down the road. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Please dont say "Dont do it!" cause i have heard that about 100 times already... haha

Don't do it. 101...

No really...I didn't do the JOP thing. It was rough as the single ENS BAH in San Dog wasn't that much for both of us to live on. She insisted not getting married until the church ceremony. Therefore, we waited until our first sea tour. Got 21 days of basket leave from the CO as a gift. Not a bad call, but not the best call either.