• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Searching for a date to get married

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Ok, so if I do the JOP marriage, how would taxes work for my new wife if we are waiting for a regular wedding later in the year? How would the name change work?
I am not quite sure what you are saying. However, if you get married with a JOP, then you are married, period. Whatever you would have done following a "regular" wedding, you can do now.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I am not quite sure what you are saying. However, if you get married with a JOP, then you are married, period. Whatever you would have done following a "regular" wedding, you can do now.

I'm asking about taxes for her, her name changing, and other legal stuff that would indicate we are married.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'm asking about taxes for her, her name changing, and other legal stuff that would indicate we are married.
Ahh, so you are asking about this stuff in order to keep it quiet from the family?

As far as taxes go, I believe you can still file separately if you desire. Although, it's not like your family is going to be checking your tax returns.

I also found this website that covers all the aspects of a bride changing her name: http://www.bridelaw.com

After a quick scan of the site, I don't see any time issues involved, so your wife-to-be could change her name after the "real" wedding.

The only timing issue I could find is to notify the Social Security Administration of the name change before she files a tax return with her new name. If she failed to do that her name wouldn't match her SSN, and the IRS would reject the return.

Practically, however, she could get probably do it all after the JOP marriage and just be careful around family.