• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Searching for a date to get married

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
@ Schnugg... Those actually look like the exact shoes I was wearing... almost... I think mine had laces. But yes, those were about the same style.

Note: If you ever find yourself in NJ looking for Navy uniform parts, don't waste your time.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got married at the E-2 RAG, and that was challenging enough - in our case, it was not so much for the BAH as the co-lo card (and a magical thing it is, the mil-mil co-location). We had a nice big fancy Jewish wedding, chokers, swords, kippahs, the whole bit. Did it over a long weekend so that my groomsmen could road-trip it up and back.

It can be done, but if you're set on a church-wedding, I'd say wait at least until you're at the RAG and have a more solid idea of your schedule and future. The VTs are very unpredictable and they will not much care about your nuptuals. "Wedding? Well, we need you go on a cross-country this weekend to meet our production numbers. So tough balls."

KBayDog

Note: If you ever find yourself in NJ looking for Navy uniform parts, don't waste your time.

Uh...I'll, uh...keep that in mind.

mwalsh, as you can see, there are plenty of ways to skin this cat, but there is one constant: flight school is an unpredictable beast. There are no guarantees. Duty stations, flight schedules, liberty periods, etc. - you must understand that things will constantly change, and remain appropriately flexible...and expect flight school to demand a lot of your time once you get rolling.

My suggestion: Continue to have serious, ongoing discussions with your fiance as to what is important to the two of you, and do not make plans until you are 100% sure that you are both comfortable with your course of action. Do you want a JOP? Do you want a church wedding with no immediate honeymoon? Do you want a church wedding followed by a long honeymoon? Big wedding? Small wedding? White shoes?

FWIW, my wife and I got married prior to TBS. A Church wedding followed by a honeymoon was important to both of us - for numerous reasons, we would not consider a JOP, and we wanted to go on a honeymoon after our wedding. It was the best decision for us - your mileage may vary.

phrogpilot73

Another vote for the JOP here. It's a big leap, but with current world events & deployments it makes sense for another reason other than money: emergency leave. PSW and I went to the JOP before deployment so that if something happened to one of us, the other could take emergency leave. They may or may not make the same provisions for you if it's a fiancee. The CommO of my battalion was on his 3rd month in Iraq when he got an AmCross saying that his fiancee had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. He didn't get emergency leave, and she passed away less than a year after he returned from deployment. He was the one that strongly suggested it to me...

Why is it weddings are a cause for everyone to forget crap for their uniform? At one wedding, my buddy forget his collar devices and frantically started searching Michigan for them. Ended up getting in touch with the MOI at either the U of M or Michigan State and borrowed them from him. At my wedding, two buddies forgot their shoes. One wore a pair of black leather dress shoes he brought (and he put a pretty good shine on them), the other got tuxedo shoes. Both had square toes, it was an interesting look...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
About the JOP thing...

Some priests (including the one that married my wife and I) will refuse to do the ceremony if you do a JOP thing, especially east coast Catholic priests.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Lutheran Minister that did our first wedding in our living room and our "Official" wedding had no problem. The vows we said at our wedding were simply a type of marriage renewal vow...no one noticed any difference. We even had our witnesses sign a psuedo-wedding license (unofficial of course).

Now if it's a catholic priest...I thought you could just keep putting money in the till until he says he'll do it...

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Christmas is your best bet to guarantee time off.
We got married in flight school. I don't recommend flight school as a good time to get married.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Just a quick question.

How long would it take to get the JOP thing done and then get all the other paperwork filled out for a dependant?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a quick question.

How long would it take to get the JOP thing done and then get all the other paperwork filled out for a dependant?

Once the JOP files the paperwork with the court, you request a certified copy at the courthouse or online. Fee is about $15.

Take copy to PSD, request an update to your page 2 /DEERS, get back pay on entitlements to date of marriage in next paycheck.

I would update the page 2 SGLI info as of the date of marriage by yourself at PSD.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Once the JOP files the paperwork with the court, you request a certified copy at the courthouse or online. Fee is about $15.

Take copy to PSD, request an update to your page 2 /DEERS, get back pay on entitlements to date of marriage in next paycheck.

I would update the page 2 SGLI info as of the date of marriage by yourself at PSD.

I'm guessing that the only thing left at that point would be to get a dependent ID made and then that would be it?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'm guessing that the only thing left at that point would be to get a dependent ID made and then that would be it?

NO

You must enroll her in Tricare, which is a separate, but obviously important process. She cannot enroll until after she is in DEERS. You go to the local Tricare office, fill out a couple forms, and then you are done. You might be able to do it online and/or by fax now.