• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Leading edge flap (LEF) is the leading edge of the wing in a hornet that is computer controlled for it's angle. No operator input at all. When they have FCS problems, no LEFs can be a problem at the ship as flyaboard speed is increased quite a bit, may even require a divert. This is why most hornet drivers watch the FCS bit page in the patter on one MFD.
LEX is the leading edge extension of the wing root that goes up alongside the cockpit. Basically turns the fuselage into a lifting body, also helps redirect airflow back over the fuselage and rudders.
A slat (as in an A-4) is an aerodynamically controlled leading edge device that operates on rollers. At rest it slides out as in the pictures above. Also "deploys" aerodynamically at slow airspeeds. And if you accelerate, it slides back up.
Allows the jet to create a very good turn rate at slow speeds. Asymetric slat deployment will throw you for a loop, as in one comes out and the other does not. Watch an A-4 preflight, pilot will slide the slat up and let it fall back down on it's own. Makes a noise, does no harm. Just checking that it slides freely.
Hope this helps.
r/
G

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
brd2881 said:
......the A-4M......I imagine that since they don't have a blower, getting energy back after bleeding down takes much longer in a fight...and I am willing to bet that can get you in a bad situation in a hurry...(bold face mine:) )
Don't bet your next paycheck on it ..... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Schnugg said:
......A slat (as in an A-4) is an aerodynamically controlled leading edge device .....Allows the jet to create a very good turn rate at slow speeds. Asymetric slat deployment will throw you for a loop, as in one comes out and the other does not.....
Really hurt my neck once in a fight during an assymetric slat extension occurence such as you describe above .... a bummer.:(

Opinion: Since it's inception ...... Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, Heinieman's Hot-Rod (the A-4 in all it's variants) is the finest, most cost effective, most reliable, simplest-to-operate (and maintain), most pilot-friendly fast-mover that has yet to see Naval Aviation service .... :)

(*sigh*) .... A4s Forever !!!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
A slat (as in an A-4) is an aerodynamically controlled leading edge device that operates on rollers. At rest it slides out as in the pictures above. Also "deploys" aerodynamically at slow airspeeds. And if you accelerate, it slides back up.

To supplement this, some slats are pilot controlled. The T-45 slats come out when you put the flaps down. They come back up when you put the flaps up.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
To supplement this, some slats are pilot controlled. The T-45 slats come out when you put the flaps down. They come back up when you put the flaps up.
Same deal in Prowlers.

Brett

B

Blutonski816

ghost119 said:
A4s, I noticed that the hump behind the canopy in the single-seater is not present in the two-seater. What does that hump contain?

Avionics. Just more stuff to keep the A-4 technologically competitive with newer aircraft.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
I know it was used as a trainer, I was just wondering why the fighter has the avionics and whatever else is in the hump, and the trainer does not have it. I just thought that if it were avionics it would somehow affect the a/c in some way.

The TA-4J is a advanced jet trainer, like the T-45C. It doesn't need those avionics and such. We don't need a radar, or encrypting radios, or whatever when you're just learning to fly a jet.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Two seater was only a trainer in the US Navy. (Right A4s?)
Wel-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l ..... yes and no. Trainier is what the two seater was "designed" for .... but it served in VC squadrons and in the Reserves as a DCM Adversary platform. All "non-TRACOM" T-Birds came with P-8 engines (vice the slug-like, early TRACOM smokey P-6 and the later, hotter P-408's, i.e., SuperFoxes and Limas, Mikes, etc .... ) ... the Marines used some two-seaters out of DaNang and Chu Lai as "regular" attack aircraft.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think they did some FAC(A) work in both Viet Nam and after OA-4M I believe, might have been a better platform than the OV-10 at least for survivability.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:
Avionics. Just more stuff to keep the A-4 technologically competitive with newer aircraft.
And .... a great place to store your bags and "bring-backs" on a X-Country when the avionics have been removed .... :)

By the way .... several of the T-Birds we had in the TRACOM and Adversary programs had "significant" weapons panels and delivery capabilities (removed) from their former lives in the Fleet/USMC .....

Free Kuwait ...... one of my former students .... ?????

*edit* ...... also .... I recall the last A-4 cruise aboard the Oriskany (or Hancock? Can't remember which) and her A-4 squadron(s) incorporated several two seaters as part of the attack component of the AirWing. The Navy was running out of "full-up" single seaters. They generally flew single-seat .... but many launched with two warm bodies aboard. No NFO's in the squadrons .... just guys riding shotgun, getting flight time, and bagging traps. :)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
A4sForever said:
And .... a great place to store your bags and "bring-backs" on a X-Country when the avionics have been removed .... :)

They generally flew single-seat .... but many launched with two warm bodies aboard. No NFO's in the squadrons .... just guys riding shotgun, getting flight time, and bagging traps.[/B] [/I]:)

I bet that would be super scary riding in the backseat while the guy in front landed on the carrier. Almost might be tempted to grab the stick. Must've took some cajones.

Lawman

None
One of my all time favorite planes by far. For a while there it was like the Energizer bunny, the thing just kept going and going as planes newer then it were phased in and out again, meanwhile this little hotrod was flying frontline service with other Air Forces around the globe. Kinda like the fixed wing version of the Huey or the Jeep.