• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
The A-4 in the foreground of the 3-plane is from VA-127 at Lemore and the other two are from NFWS. The dark one is actually a very dark green color. I took these when I was in VC-12. Just starting to go back and digitize all my old slides.....time-consuming.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Mr. A4s.... or Nose,
you ever waved any of these guys?? This looks like a Mike..
AF1_da_Marinha_do_Brasil_2.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....This looks like a Mike..
AF1_da_Marinha_do_Brasil_2.jpg
I think all the Brazilian A-4's are survivors from the Kuwait/Desert Storm drive-by-shooting .... so, that WOULD make them modified former A-4M's turned A-4KU's turned Brazilian AF-1's .... or something like that.

That would make it one fine little machine to fly. :)

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Decoy Marksbury was a light attack legend and a pilot who reveled in the fact that he never had a "non-flying" job. Only jumped out once...of an A-4 with a stud when flying out over the Gulf of Mexico.

Hearing "The 'Decoy' is airborne" while sitting in the tower was always a treat.

If you want to honor and hear more about a guy who lived large (a denizen of WestPac Light Attack) and who loved naval aviation, then stop by the service this afternoon.

First Christian Church, 3401 Santa Fe, Corpus Christi, on Friday, February 15, 2008 at 3:30 p.m.

###############################

http://obits.caller.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewobit&ID=60465

Johnsten Lee (Decoy) Marksbury

Johnsten Lee (Decoy) Marksbury, (CDR, USN, Retired) of Corpus Christi, answered his final ready alert on Saturday, February 9, 2008 in Reno, Nevada after suffering a heart attack while returning from a family vacation. He was 63 years old.

John was born February 8, 1945 in Hannibal, Missouri and grew up in Centralia, Missouri. He was a high school basketball player, and one of his most treasured accomplishments were attaining the rank of Eagle Scout. John was a red, white and blue patriot who entered the Navy in 1968 after graduating from Parsons College in Iowa with a degree in Business Administration. In the course of his Navy career he obtained his Masters Degree from Webster College. He received his coveted Navy Wings of Gold while stationed with VT-23 at Kingsville, Texas on April 1, 1970. As a light attack carrier pilot, he spent 26 years on active duty, including two tours aboard the USS John F. Kennedy as a member of the elite VA-72 Bluehawk squadron flying the A-7 Corsair. After returning to shore duty in 1976, he served two tours as an instructor pilot in the Advanced Training Command with VT-24 in Beeville, Texas, flying the A-4 Skyhawk. He then served for five years and two tours aboard the Midway, he served as Strike Operations Officer for the ship and flew the A-7 Corsair with both VA-56 and VA-93. Upon returning to the United States, John was selected to the distinguished position of being responsible for the development, testing and implementation of the Navy’s newest jet trainer, the T45A Goshawk. During the final five years of his active duty Navy career, he served as Chief of Staff of Training Air Wing 2, NAS Kingsville, Texas, where he had been promoted from Deputy Wing Commander. He was awarded the National Defense Service Medal, the Navy Commendation Medal, and the Meritorious Service Medal, and the Meritorious Service Medal. In his Navy career, John accumulated over 8,500 hours of jet time in multiple tactical aircraft, and made 852 carrier landings.

Retirement for John was just another chapter in the life of a dedicated Navy pilot and instructor. He went on to become part of a civilian aviation squadron where he was chosen in 2000 as one of the initial cadre A-4 instructor pilots for Advanced Training Systems International at Williams Air Force Base, AZ. He was instrumental in developing the entire training programs for the company and was employed there for three years.

After leaving ATSI, John retired to the golf course at home in Corpus Christi.

John was preceded in death by his father Lee Marksbury, his mother Alma Marksbury, and a brother Jay Marksbury. He leaves his beloved wife and best friend of 38 years, Lora; his daughter Julie Lee Cazalas (Matt) of Corpus Christi, Texas; his son Capt. John Marksbury, USMC based in Washington, D.C.; and his best buddy granddaughter Kacie Lee Cazalas. His aunt Clara Hudson of Missouri and nephew Eric Marksbury, also survive. He also leaves a host of friends from his years in the Naval community and from his many interests in golf and sports, and his friends and neighbors from the community.

A farewell service in John’s memory will be held at First Christian Church, 3401 Santa Fe, Corpus Christi, on Friday, February 15, 2008 at 3:30 p.m. John’s ashes will be dispersed at sea by his family. The family requests donations in John’s name to the American Heart Association, or to the VA-72 Bluehawk Memorial Fund to be established at the Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola, FL.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
MY EYESS!!!!!!

Great, now I need a contact lens waiver, but at least I now have a reason I can't fly the ball for jack lately.

That's right...it has nothing to do with the fact that there is no collective or twist grip...or that you can't get your feet to the rudder pedals cause "the instruments are too close"...;):D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the break at Fallon

Joe,
I've seen Hunters flying into NAS Jax over the last couple of days and I know some grey hulls are out in the warning area. So know it makes sense.
They fly a great pattern, lower than usual. Really catches your eye as not something "normal".
Great to see them flying around for sure.

Kfir spotted at Fallon yesterday

Kfir.jpg

On final with Topgun F-16Bs holding short

KfirF-16.jpg

Photos by HJ

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Kfir spotted at Fallon yesterday
Kfir in Hebrew= Lion Cub
Kfir in Arabic= Infidel :D

Singapore's A-4SUs started life as A-4Bs and Cs, many of the latter with Vietnam combat under their belts. When they became 'Super Skyhawks' they gained non-afterburning F404s, which are roughly comparable in thrust to the J52-P-408, but more efficient and reliable etc. They never got radar, but had navigation and other .....................................................There should be plenty of A-4SUs in storage in Singapore since they retired the bulk of them in 2005. They still fly about 16 A-4SUs and TA-4SUs (the 'double bubble' two-seaters) at their training base in France.
Intel O or Google Ranger?