• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

Lobster

...if only I had 60 grand lying around...stupid college tuition :icon_rage

wasn't there a harrier up for sale not to long ago?

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Yeah, buying the thing wouldn't be too big of a hurdle. But then you have to figure out....how are you going to get it to your home airport? Who's gonna restore it? How will that be paid for? If you do get it completely restored to flying condition, are you going to fly it? Insurance? Where will it be maintained? How many qualified A4 mechanics are around? I see dollar signs shooting up when asking these questions. One of my father's friends helped start Regal Cinemas (the biggest theater company in the world) and once it grew to the size it is now, he sold his half and started the TN Warbirds Aviation Museum in Pigeon Forge. At one time he had a flyable MiG-21. He has all kinds of planes. He regularly flies his T-28 (in Navy colors of course) around East TN.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Damn, the owner is a former HSL-46 SH-60B pilot, who lateral'd to the AF and flew B-1's.
He was my Divo 14 years ago.

Nice plane too.
I knew I knew that name from somewhere!!!! He was an instructor at 28 when I went through. Supposedly did aileron rolls on course rules on his last flight before going to B-1s. Stud was in my API class, and turned him in when they landed (then got jets, of course:icon_roll).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ACTUALLY ... being a Lima it's got a substandard engine/airframe combo in my opinion, although he's probably got to dance w/ the one that "brung him". The Lima's (Charlie conversions done for NAVAIRRES use) were provided w/ an "upgraded" Wright J65 -- but the early Wright J65 was generally putting out 10% LESS thrust with @ 30% MORE fuel burn than it's replacement, the P&W J52 series ... i.e., less thrust, more fuel burn, less range, less payload & performance.

Sooooooo ... an "upgraded" Wright would be "correct" on a A4-L converted from a Charlie. I think they finally managed to squeeze something like 8400# of thrust out of the "upgraded" Wrights ... which was what the early entry level J52's were putting out. Some of the Mech's on the website can probably provide better information on the specifics of the engines.

The Wright was standard in the A/B/C models and as they were replaced w/ newer models the Skyhawks were equipped with the much superior P&W series: J52- P6 (@ 8500#)/P8 (@ 9300#)/P408 (@ 11,000# + thrust) engines -- w/ the aforementioned exception of -C to -L "upgrade conversions" which kept the Wright engine. The P&W J52's were also used w/ much success on the A-6 Intruder and, of course, the P408 still soldiers on in the belly of the Queer A-6. :)

This particular BuNo was a converted Charlie and flew in the NAVAIRRES after her Fleet time was over.

I never flew this particular bird. That's the only thing I can say w/ any certainty. :D

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
The P&W J52's were also used w/ much success on the A-6 Intruder and, of course, the P408 still soldiers on in the belly of the Queer A-6. :)

So if the EA-6B is queer...and I have had my body completely stuffed inside the fuselage...that doesn't make me queer does it? :eek:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, buying the thing wouldn't be too big of a hurdle. But then you have to figure out....how are you going to get it to your home airport? Who's gonna restore it? How will that be paid for? If you do get it completely restored to flying condition, are you going to fly it? Insurance? Where will it be maintained? How many qualified A4 mechanics are around? I see dollar signs shooting up when asking these questions.
Let me add another: How are you going to get the type rating??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So if the EA-6B is queer...and I have had my body completely stuffed inside the fuselage...that doesn't make me queer does it? :eek:
Well, I ain't no doctor, but that MIGHT make you a penis. :confused::eek:

While you contemplate that, I'm going to go make a CUBI Special. Cheers. :)

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Any idea on the costs involved with completing the aircraft?

I always wondered how much the insurance and maint costs would run on owning aircraft such as this.

Hell, I have a hard time affording my dually.