• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My Pops flew the F11F in the TRACOM, and he always said it was the biggest piece of shit airplane he ever flew. It'd go like stink, but had no legs at all - said once he had the low fuel light come on before he even cleared the departure end of the runway. Still...slick lookin' airplane.

He loved the Scooter, though. Flew A-4B's and C's with the Blacksheep back in the day. Said it was just plain fun to fly.

FastMover

NFO
None
Here are some pics of my latest A-4 build. Hasegawa 1/32 TA-4J in VF-126 Bicentennial markings. The kit wasn't the most detailed I've ever seen, but it came out looking pretty good.

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Here are some pics of my latest A-4 build. Hasegawa 1/32 TA-4J in VF-126 Bicentennial markings. The kit wasn't the most detailed I've ever seen, but it came out looking pretty good.

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, how does one go about getting started in hobby modeling? As in, I've been interested in getting started but I don't want to invest hundreds of dollars in hundreds of different color paints. I used to do some as a kid but that's been over 10 years ago so I'm looking for a good way to get back started.

FastMover

NFO
None
If you don't mind me asking, how does one go about getting started in hobby modeling? As in, I've been interested in getting started but I don't want to invest hundreds of dollars in hundreds of different color paints. I used to do some as a kid but that's been over 10 years ago so I'm looking for a good way to get back started.

If you're starting from scratch it might be a little pricey, but once you have all of the things you need (air brush, air tank, hobby knife, paint brushes, etc.) they will generally last for a long time and you will only be paying for the model kits and paints.

I would recommend doing a little at a time, i.e. go to a hobby shop and buy a model kit and some paints. Pick up some Model Master or Testors spray cans to paint the exterior and a few regular bottles/brushes to paint the cockpit and other small pieces with. You really don't need an air brush if you're just starting (I didn't use my air brush to paint the TA-4). You'll also need a good knife, masking tape, sand paper, glue, and lots of PATIENCE.

Give the forums @ Aircraft Resource Center a look as well. They have lots of how-to articles, reviews of kits, research pics, etc. That's about all there is to it. The hardest part is getting started. Once you get into it it's kind of addicting.:)

FastMover

NFO
None
www.arcair.com

Check that out achilles. Everything you'll ever need to know.
@Fastmover.....
Got another one? I'd like to...take it of your hands....

Rasczak beat me to the plug for ARC (it takes me forever to type a freaking post). Like he said...all you'll need to know you can find there.

@Ras...nope, that's the only one I've got. I found that one on eBay a few months ago and haven't really seen any since. Guess I lucked out...they seem to be fairly hard to come by. Just keep checking around and you may find one.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the love of Scooters....A4, here are some rare TA-4 pics, circa 1997.

Why are they RARE? I was one of a handful of SNFO's that got to fly the A-4 for the last part of Advanced NFO training due to the T-2's being grounded. Notice the VT-86 patch! The Scooter was a blast and VT-7 treated us well. Enjoy.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Attachments

• A4FLT_sm.jpg
    A4FLT_sm.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 99

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
I have a question. First of all, I am a crewman and a damn helicopter HM at that. For my first re-enlistment I was flying SAR in Corpus Christi. My flight surgeon got me a flight in a TA-4J from NASCCTX to NAS Pensacola. Loved the flight, and have a question.

I have heard rumor of enlisted crewman being Navigators in A-4's and F-4's in the mid 60's. Is there any validity to that rumor?

I love reading the posts and would appreciate any answers or insight this forum may have. Be safe out there.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
For the love of Scooters....A4, here are some rare TA-4 pics, circa 1997.

Why are they RARE? I was one of a handful of SNFO's that got to fly the A-4 for the last part of Advanced NFO training due to the T-2's being grounded. Notice the VT-86 patch! The Scooter was a blast and VT-7 treated us well. Enjoy.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Ten years prior to that, Circa 87 VT-86 was an A-4 squadron, flew all of our post T-47 "Fighting platypus" events in Skyhawks. It truly was one of the best experiences of training command. Great group of instructors at the time that wanted show you just how much fun Naval Air was and that it wasn't all radar predictions and two minute prior calls. A great way to finish...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right after I got winged, VT-7 became a T-45 squadron.....I get strange looks when I tell people I was at VT-7 as a 'FO.

Agreed, the A-4 was the highlight of my training command flying. My last flight/check ride was a section low level.....It doesn't get any better than that!

-ea6bflyr ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
See ... SEE .... SEE !!!! :eek:

Even the crewmen and NFO's come together to sing praises of Heineman's Hot-Rod.

A4s FOREVER !!!

The defense rests ..... :):sleep_125

sandblowerqv6.jpg

MasterBates

A4s, you will be pleased to know that the TA-4J that was really nasty looking here at Krock is in the hangar for preservation and repaint.

The A-4B on the stick, not sure what the plan for it is.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s, you will be pleased to know that the TA-4J that was really nasty looking here at Krock is in the hangar for preservation and repaint.

The A-4B on the stick, not sure what the plan for it is.

Hopefully something like this??? Still leadin' the way ??? :)

Psychedelic A-4 picture ... HEY, that WAS my generation, you know!!!

texas058da8.jpg

photo A4sForever

MasterBates

The A4 on the stick is still there, no signs of repaint yet. getting a tad green.

In the pic that you show, the TA-4 would be to the right of the T-45 and there is a T-2 (nasty green slime on it) to the left of the T-45.

They pulled the T-45 and TA-4 in for repaint maybe 2 weeks ago. Not sure if they will take care of the the T-2 and A-4 when they are done, but I hope so. They are looking pretty nasty with the South Tejas slime growing on them.