• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Salute this.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think it's usually bad form to render a salute when you aren't in some kind of uniform. Just looks ridiculous. When going through the gate in civvies I just make sure I don't look nasty (proper civvies, shave, etc.) and give them a verbal acknowledgment or a touch of the hat brim if I'm wearing one.

Concur. Can also happen when walking around in civvies and a junior walks by in uniform. If he's savy, he'll still salute you (as is "required"). If that happens to me, then I just make sure I acknowledge the salute w/ a thanks/how's it going/etc.

Not sure where it says that off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's others w/ more desire to search on Christmas than I.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
In my limited experience, officers I recognize that are active, when I salute and they are out of uniform, they usually just acknowledge it with a head nod or whatnot; but retirees I've found often salute back, uniform or not. I've saluted a couple guys with the rings on their classes homecoming reunions on the yard, it seems to give them a kick, so it seems like a nice thing to do.

Stubby

Ask the Chief
Sorry that I couldn't get into the conversation earlier, but you know.... the Holidays and all....

I can honestly say (again), that you amaze me as a whole around here. Collectively you make comments like:

"There is no reason to enlist...."
and

"You're right. There are plenty of reasons to enlist - just no good ones." ;)
and then you have the gall to complain when some young Sailor fails to salute....

Make no mistake... that Sailor is wrong, and if you are a good leader you will correct the deficiency. However, a good leader will also give the Sailor the respect that he/she deserves as well....

The next time you do get a salute(or don't), remember that your rank entitles you to a salute. Then ask yourself, "are they saluting me... or my rank?" Let me tell you... from an E's perspective, they aren't the same.

Then again.... maybe it doesn't matter to you.

KC130FE

Livin' the Life!
The next time you do get a salute(or don't), remember that your rank entitles you to a salute. Then ask yourself, "are they saluting me... or my rank?" Let me tell you... from an E's perspective, they aren't the same.

Then again.... maybe it doesn't matter to you.[/quote]

You are 100% correct, Chief. I will tip one back for you tonight!
Merry Christmas.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Sorry that I couldn't get into the conversation earlier, but you know.... the Holidays and all....

I can honestly say (again), that you amaze me as a whole around here. Collectively you make comments like:

and

and then you have the gall to complain when some young Sailor fails to salute....

Make no mistake... that Sailor is wrong, and if you are a good leader you will correct the deficiency. However, a good leader will also give the Sailor the respect that he/she deserves as well....

Chief, you need to remember one thing. This is a website devoted to officer programs, officer issues, and officer training. It's not AOL where we're one big happy family. Yes, we welcome those who are not part of the group to comment, participate, and learn; but we're not all each other's peers nor are all members of the Navy our peers. The points have been made clearly that we have a responsibility to 1. have our own act together, 2. be willing to teach rather than demand, and 3. understand that it's a two-way street. Yes, there will be tools in all communities and in all ranks; but at the end of the day, every recruit regardless of RTC/MCRD/boot camp du jour knows what is expected and required. No service teaches "only if they're in your branch of service" or "only if they're paygrade O-x or higher." Any issues within our own officer ranks are our own issues/customs, and we'll deal with them accordingly. To think that absence from said basic training location relieves our troops of their obligations vis-a-vis officer/enlisted relationships or that they "simply forget" because they've been out of the structured boot camp environment is naive at best, utterly ridiculous at worst.

As for the reasons to/not to enlist, I think it's completely safe and no huge leap to say that those comments regarding "no good reason" focus on the premise of "if you intend to fly as a pilot/NFO in a naval service (N/MC/CG), then your odds of doing so are significantly better if you don't enlist" and are based on the collective experiences on which most of the priors here are fully qualified to comment. In particular, for those of us who flew before, none are denigrating the experience - in fact, I'd argue we all agree it makes us better at what we do now. That said, we've got different jobs now; and all things being equal, we'd have chosen different paths that would have put us into our current jobs much sooner than we got here. I can tell you there's at least two of us who fit that bill. This isn't to say that those jobs aren't just as noble or necessary, because they are. However, you know just as well as the next guy that just because everyone isn't qualified to be an AW, there's no good reason to join the Navy if your intention is to fly. Remember, this is a forum dedicated to those who are/desire to be/etc. pilots and NFOs (with other officer warfare communities included to a limited extent). Comments that there's no good reason to enlist parallel those that would say "there's no good reason to join the Navy as an undesignated airman if your intention is to fly as an AW." That's a 100% safe, accurate, and absolutely fair analogy.

This isn't the former, now-defunct Hangar or the FAWA page. It's aimed at officers, for officers, by officers. These are our opinions. We're not here to hold hands. Again, I think it's fair to say we welcome all opinions and perspectives, as there's no better way to better ourselves and do justice to our folks because we have something to learn from all. Just don't think that we're one big slick-sleeve, blank-collar fraternity. This ain't the Aviation Week enthusiasts society page.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

and

Nice job taking my quotes from another thread completely out of context in order to make a now hackneyed point. You're lucky I'm not in a smiting mood.

Brett

IRfly

None
I've liked this thread. I've got a question on which I need guidance. I'm in a situation where I know socially a senior officer who also could end up being my instructor in the near future. Our wives are friends and we've been over at their house several times. I feel kind of uncomfortable calling him by his first name. Is this something that I should just get over?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've liked this thread. I've got a question on which I need guidance. I'm in a situation where I know socially a senior officer who also could end up being my instructor in the near future. Our wives are friends and we've been over at their house several times. I feel kind of uncomfortable calling him by his first name. Is this something that I should just get over?

No

Screamtruth

นักมวย
It was many years ago but I gave up on the Navy after I followed an Admiral at Cubi Point and no one saluted him, and he didn't do anything, but I never tolerated Marines not saluting.

With that said.....I have never seen a Marine officer go un-saluted (by intention). In fact, the few times I was on base, and crossed an officer that had gone unseen on my part, I was thouroughly ripped. Sometimes they made it almost excessive...............but holding true to my own wisdom...."If you have to use force, make it Excessive."

From an enlisted point of view, I had no intentions of not respecting the rank and rendering what was due by the proud heritage of the Marine Corps. If the officer sucked, as some did, oh well............by tradition, I am required to salute............the rank, not always the man. But by not saluting, I would feel that I am disrespecting the Corps..................

My 2 of BS,
Nate

Screamtruth

นักมวย
I call BS on this one....if they really had "pride" in their service, they would be trying to do things *better* than their Navy counterparts (i.e. saluting when it is proper, and upholding standard courtesy). Sounds like a couple of $hitbags who the Marines would be better off without.

Right on.

Cordespc

None
Contributor

and

Stubby, I have seen no indication of anyone on this site degrading the enlisted ranks, or showing anything less than the utmost respect for enlisted service menbers. This thread obviously focuses on ways to effectively develop junior personnel (our job...and yours) without coming off like power hungry, overbearing monsters to young, impressionable service members.

The quotes (from an unrelated thread) you referenced were certainly made by qualified personnel who speak from experience on both the enlisted AND commissioned sides of the house. Can you do that?

Personally, I enlisted because I wanted to serve, see the world, do cool stuff, et cetera. I didn't want to go to college, and didn't even understand the concept of what an officer was. In short, I signed up because I wanted to be an enlisted guy. I think that's a great reason to enlist. Had I had the desire back then to be an officer and aviator, I wish someone would have pointed me toward a course that would help me reach my endstate via the most direct means, maximizing the use of available resourses. To me, that is what these very qualified individuals have done for those who come here seeking advice.

I'm very thankful I had leaders (blueshirts/CPOs/officers) who helped me develop goals, and then supported my pursuit of them. I've said it before, Stumpy, and I don't mind saying again that I am glad I never worked for or with a Chief who displays the qualities that you demonstrate on this site. Open degradation, criticism and stereotyping of commissioned officers is NOT quality leadership, and I sincerely hope that this behavior is limited to your online persona, and does not carry over into your leadership of our junior enlisted members.

S/F

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
BTW--is it really that unusual in the Navy for JGs and ENSs to salute LTs? The 1-bar club is one thing--the difference between 0 and 4 years of service isn't that big a deal. An O-3 of any service may have 10 years commissioned service and a butt-ton of deployed time. A JO had better salute him.
I've been retired since late 1998 but in my time....

At aviation bases /commands:
1. Squadron area - no salutes between ENS, LTJG & LT. Salute a LCDR once for the day until he tells you to "cut that $hit out".

2. Outside of squadron - no salutes between ENS & LTJG. Salute LT and above.

At non-aviation command / base - No salutes between ENS & LTJG. Salute everyone else.

KSUFLY

pilot
I always correct an E that doesn't salute me and it's obvious that they see me and can salute. I really hate it though when I correct them and they look at me and roll their eyes as they give me a sh!tty salute.

As for myself, I always remember the advice that my Chief at OCS told my class. He said that you can tell if you're squared away if you walk in a room and people start sqauaring themselves away by rubbing their shoes on their slacks and tucking in their shirts.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
...if you walk in a room and people start sqauaring themselves away by rubbing their shoes on their slacks and tucking in their shirts.

man, I am not squared away. When i walk into a room all they do is push glasses of beer into my hands.