• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Salute this.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hey, real quick, if in Mess Dress with no cover, there are still no salutes rendered, correct?

And Mess Dress without a cover is acceptable, right? MIDREGS prescribes it, yet I've never seen a mid on the yard wearing one with it...

Edit: one more thing - what is the uniform called that (at least in appearance?) is SDB's with a bowtie and large medals?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Hey, real quick, if in Mess Dress with no cover, there are still no salutes rendered, correct?

And Mess Dress without a cover is acceptable, right? MIDREGS prescribes it, yet I've never seen a mid on the yard wearing one with it...

Edit: one more thing - what is the uniform called that (at least in appearance?) is SDB's with a bowtie and large medals?
No cover - no salute.

O1 to O3 are not required to have Mess Dress uniforms. SDBs with bow tie and miniture medals is their equivalent to Mess Dress Blue (which is actually called Dinner Dress Blue Jacket where the SDB version is just Dinner Dress Blue) . Chockers with minitures is their equivalent to Mess Dress White (Dinner Dress White and Dinner Dress White Jacket respectively). Never heard of bow ties and large medals, only large medals on SDBs with the regular tie (which makes it a Full Dress Blue uniform).

The with the Mess Dress (Jacket), the cover is an optional item. With the SBD/Chocker (Dinner Dress) it is a basic compoent of the uniform.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/uregMenu.html

Stubby

Ask the Chief
I always correct an E that doesn't salute me and it's obvious that they see me and can salute. I really hate it though when I correct them and they look at me and roll their eyes as they give me a sh!tty salute.

As for myself, I always remember the advice that my Chief at OCS told my class. He said that you can tell if you're squared away if you walk in a room and people start sqauaring themselves away by rubbing their shoes on their slacks and tucking in their shirts.
You're doing exactly the right thing. Sometimes the "correction" doesn't sink in until later. Once several years ago when I was a new E-4 there was an O in my command that I personally didn't like. He always looked sloppy in his uniform had no military bearing and was usually complaining about something. Well, I did something stupid... I used my government travel card (AMEX at the time) improperly. I had had a terrible day and to make myself feel better I took my family to dinner and paid with the Government card (I don't recommend or endorse that!) Well this O happened to have the unenviable job of being the Government Card Coordinator; He took me into his little office and proceeded to read me the riot act. I knew what I did was wrong and felt stupid for doing it, because of that and not having a lot of respect for that O personally, I put up a defensive attitude (and so I did another stupid thing). I'll never forget him looking at me and yelling "Get your hands off your F*ing hips and stand at attention when I'm talking to you!" I snapped to attention and apologized... I had already known he was right and I was wrong, but I hadn't even realized what a jackass I was being. That was the most military thing I had ever seen him do and I had a whole new respect for him after that. In retrospect, he had my best interests at heart... he didn't want me to get into trouble for doing something stupid. I could have gone to Captain's mast, but instead was corrected (and saved) by a Junior Officer who did his job.

Everyone pushes the envelope, O or E; it's best to correct the minor infractions like failing to salute before they do something even dumber.

KSUFLY

pilot
...it's best to correct the minor infractions like failing to salute before they do something even dumber.

Isn't that what the military's know for? You do things because you're supposed to and you'll find out the reason (if there is one) later. I don't understand how difficult it is for an E to pop a sharp salute to an officer. In addition, when we would go on our runs in OCS and would have the flags, the class officers and chiefs were always harping on Navy enlisted to stand at attention when the flag goes by or salute if they're in uniform. Are they not taught this stuff? Marines, never had to be corrected.

phrogpilot73

This thread is still alive?

Enlisted personnel (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard) salute officers.

Junior officers (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard) salute senior officers.

If said officer/senior officer did not receive a salute that they feel is appropriate, they should correct it on the spot, rather than bitch about it on AW.

Questions?