• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

exNavyOffRec

What point does the going back and changing things from the past stop? They are now editing shows from 20 years ago to remove controversial scenes, there were huge chunks of the 40 year old virgin that were cut out when I was watching it on cable yesterday, and they are now editing parts of "the Office"

Are we really getting to the point where anything that could be offensive will not be allowed? I guess if so then comedians are screwed.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Don't watch cable. Plenty of other ways out there to watch the original versions of shows and movies. Problem solved.

I don't like the "social justice" editing any more than you do, but I voted with my feet/wallet years ago. I hate 24h news, worthless channels nobody wants to watch, and paying premiums for a package to get the one channel I do want to watch. Screw cable. Yes, I know... sports. But I usually watch sports as a social activity, and it looks like not much of that will be happening in 2020 anyway, so back to my original point: screw cable.

exNavyOffRec

Don't watch cable. Plenty of other ways out there to watch the original versions of shows and movies. Problem solved.

I don't like the "social justice" editing any more than you do, but I voted with my feet/wallet years ago. I hate 24h news, worthless channels nobody wants to watch, and paying premiums for a package to get the one channel I do want to watch. Screw cable. Yes, I know... sports. But I usually watch sports as a social activity, and it looks like not much of that will be happening in 2020 anyway, so back to my original point: screw cable.

It isn't just cable though, they are editing the originals as in no one will be able to air them as originally released, they will no longer sell copies as originally made.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It isn't just cable though, they are editing the originals as in no one will be able to air them as originally released, they will no longer sell copies as originally made.
Business decisions. For better or worse entertainment is a popularity contest and unpopular content doesn't sell. Something something free market.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Come on. All of that is out there on the internet. If someone wants to see it, they will be able to see it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Come on. All of that is out there on the internet. If someone wants to see it, they will be able to see it.
In 10 years after today's 10 year olds have seen the edited versions over and over on Netflix, cable and broadcast, how will they know at 20 what they have missed, or whether it is worth looking for on the internet? Everything is hosted on the web. Who is to say that those original unedited versions will find hosting or ISPs who will take a chance with the mob.

exNavyOffRec

The point is that there is a massive knee jerk reaction out there, people are demanding changes without knowing "the why" or using common sense.

Look at the uproar of "Aunt Jemima", people said it was racist for her to be on the bottle so the company is going to pull it, now the family is all upset as they were proud of what she did, she was a woman who lived in a small town and as a black woman had steady work and set an example for people.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The point is that there is a massive knee jerk reaction out there, people are demanding changes without knowing "the why" or using common sense.

Look at the uproar of "Aunt Jemima", people said it was racist for her to be on the bottle so the company is going to pull it, now the family is all upset as they were proud of what she did, she was a woman who lived in a small town and as a black woman had steady work and set an example for people.
Who cares, frankly? If a corporation wants to change their branding to suit what they perceive to be market pressures, so be it. Nobody will think twice about the presence or absence of a fictitious character on their syrup bottle, or the actress chosen to sell a food staple product. Nobody knew of, or gave a fuck about Nancy Green before any of this faux outrage began.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
In 10 years after today's 10 year olds have seen the edited versions over and over on Netflix, cable and broadcast, how will they know at 20 what they have missed, or whether it is worth looking for on the internet? Everything is hosted on the web. Who is to say that those original unedited versions will find hosting or ISPs who will take a chance with the mob.
I'll admit, made the wife watch the matrix recently. The first is high on my list, trilogy overall drops some but I enjoy it all personally. Anyways, on topic, I was amazed when the netflix cover page mentioned the directors as the Wachowski sisters... When the movie was made it was the Wachowski brothers... Learned a lot had changed when I read about it, apparently both became trans. But stuff can be changed subtlety, from the future to past media.

exNavyOffRec

Who cares, frankly? If a corporation wants to change their branding to suit what they perceive to be market pressures, so be it. Nobody will think twice about the presence or absence of a fictitious character on their syrup bottle, or the actress chosen to sell a food staple product. Nobody knew of, or gave a fuck about Nancy Green before any of this faux outrage began.
Nancy Green was replaced in 1930 something, it is the family of the person who replaced her (Anna Harrington) that has an issue with it (had to look Nancy Green up as I didn't know who she was).

If some corporation wants to change branding sure it is their choice, but they should at least be accurate in why it is being changed, the woman was not fictional, it was an "accurate" picture of her and she was happy to be pictured on the syrup bottle, she was a long time employee of that company and as a woman who was also black that was a significant accomplishment at that time.

I will admit that up until the family spoke up I figured it was random picture put on for marketing, learning more about the background was quite interesting, and while not a huge impact on history it was interesting learning about how her picture ended up being used for the marketing.

taxi1

pilot
If some corporation wants to change branding sure it is their choice, but they should at least be accurate in why it is being changed, the woman was not fictional...
Well, Aunt Jemima was completely fictional, an invention of a bunch of white dudes to sell syrup. Yes, the actors that played her weren’t. With you on that.

The story of Aunt Jemima over the hundred years is pretty interesting, how the character evolved. Definitely should not be forgotten.

Nor should we forget her husband.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll admit, made the wife watch the matrix recently. The first is high on my list, trilogy overall drops some but I enjoy it all personally. Anyways, on topic, I was amazed when the netflix cover page mentioned the directors as the Wachowski sisters... When the movie was made it was the Wachowski brothers... Learned a lot had changed when I read about it, apparently both became trans. But stuff can be changed subtlety, from the future to past media.
I am sure the directors made that change to their artist product themselves. I remember the outrage when TMC started colonizing films. More outrage when a company started writing out bad words and sex scenes from films for religious folk, that care. Fact remains, these movies, are being edited by the left, which always purported to be the guardians of edgy shocking free speach. I guess disrespectful and inaccurate stories or character portrayals will now only be defended on artistic and free speach grounds if not racially suspect.