• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

GroundPounder

Yeah. One of my favorite TV shows is Longmire. The show does a decent job (I think) of portraying white and native american lives in modern day Wyoming, although I admit I don’t know enough about modern day Wyoming (sadly) or life on Native American reservations (sadly) to be a good judge. The show’s top native american character is actually played by an actor (Lou Diamond Philips) from the Philippines who officially adopted the Native American/ plains indians culture (Sioux tribe). Lou is a strong advocate and activist for Native American causes off screen. Also, because I really liked the Native American characters on the show, I looked up their bios as well. Most are technically descended from a different tribe than the tribe of the character they portray on screen, so take that for what it’s worth. I have no issue with that but I think it’s relevant to the conversation about how granular we want to get with race and cinema/theater.

Hollywood also has a history of casting Asian Americans of descent from Asia-Pacific country X in roles of Asian Americans of descent from Asia-Pacific country Y.

This is just a fundamental reality of acting and theater - where somebody is portraying a person they are not.

Walt is played by an Australian. If we are going to be intellectually honest, I guess he's out too. He changed his accent to sound like someone he is not, and deprived someone else the oppurunity to reflect their own culture. Instead he Austrail-splains to the audience from a postion of Austral-Pacfic privledge.

As long as we are on the warpath, how about we cancel Cher, Redbone, Tim McGraw and everyone else who is not a Native American who used native American imagery in their songs?

And as long as we are going full tilt on the crazy train, a guy from the Phillipines adopting another culture is ok?

If he was of Norwegian heritage and was fair skinned and blond, would that have been ok? Same passion and good hearted intentions, but would he have gotten Twitter/FB/WOKE approval?

This has an end that is not good for anyone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24525

Walt is played by an Australian. If we are going to be intellectually honest, I guess he's out too. He changed his accent to sound like someone he is not, and deprived someone else the oppurunity to reflect their own culture. Instead he Austrail-splains to the audience from a postion of Austral-Pacfic privledge.

As long as we are on the warpath, how about we cancel Cher, Redbone, Tim McGraw and everyone else who is not a Native American who used native American imagery in their songs?

And as long as we are going full tilt on the crazy train, a guy from the Phillipines adopting another culture is ok?

If he was of Norwegian heritage and was fair skinned and blond, would that have been ok? Same passion and good hearted intentions, but would he have gotten Twitter/FB/WOKE approval?

This has an end that is not good for anyone.

If we are going to be intellectually honest we are not going to say that casting an Australian over an American is the same thing as casting a white person over a black person in a role

GroundPounder

If we are going to be intellectually honest we are not going to say that casting an Australian over an American is the same thing as casting a white person over a black person in a role

I'm for the people making the product casting anyone they want based on artistic merit, politics, profit motive, whatever. There are tons of movies that have characters of different races / cultures that make no sense historically. They are movies, not documentaries. Anyone now who performs outside of their own group is insane anyway, lest they be next.

Would you say the same thing about Jake from State Farm? State Farm chose to go with an Africian American to play that character, putting the other guy out of work. No one cares, or should. For all we know the original Jake is a terror and hard to work with, and needed to go.

But had they pivoted to a white guy to replace an Africian Ametician, it would just be another instance of institutional racism.

I want this to be clear, I would not want anyone to be prevented a chance at anything based on their race, religion, sexual orientation.....

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you paint with the broad brush that there are only 3 races in the entire world and that's the only thing that matters then sure.

If you want to acknowledge that there are dozens of ethnicities and cultures within each race then you'll see the obvious flaw here.

Call a Korean or Japanese person Chinese and watch the fireworks.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If I were to create an anthology of your AW posts and offer it to a publisher as a coffee table book, would their presumed rejection of such a project constitute censorship?
If I were to create an anthology of your AW posts and offer it to the Navy IG as a book of evidence, would their presumed rejection of your fitness to be a Captain constitute the end of your career?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Stars and Bars are gone from Mississippi. Governor has already said he'll sign the bill.

I'll never forget one of my Meridian classmates telling about how he went up to Dalewood Lake for the first time, and there was a Mississippi state flag flying somewhere, Stars and Bars and all. He wasn't familiar with that being the state flag, and was worried for a minute he'd stumbled across some white supremacist compound . . .