• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October/November SNA & SNFO Boards

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
The ASTB part, so the AQR/PFAR/FOFAR is the biggest factor. It's what determines your potential to learn as either an SNA or SNFO.
I think what we are trying to ask is, when they are looking at our ASTB's for example someone who has submitted for SNA, would the board look and weigh more on the applicants PFAR score rather than say their other scores( AQR or OAR rating). Hopefully that clarifies it... if it doesn't then sorry to add to the confusion! :)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I think what we are trying to ask is, when they are looking at our ASTB's for example someone who has submitted for SNA, would the board look and weigh more on the applicants PFAR score rather than say their other scores( AQR or OAR rating). Hopefully that clarifies it... if it doesn't then sorry to add to the confusion! :)

You're absolutely right, pilot will be looking more for PFAR and NFO the FOFAR.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Thanks for clearing that up. Last question, what is considered a "competitive PFAR score? Thanks

Not sure if quoting another thread will work, but this is from the August 2014 SWO Rolling Boards thread.

HIGH OAR = 70+
HIGH GPA = 3.8+
That answers your question right? NOPE!:(

How about this:

GPA highly competitive = 3.5 -4.0
GPA very competitive = 3.2-3.5
GPA average to below = 3.2-2.5

OAR highly competitive = 60+
OAR very competitive = 45-60
OAR average to below = 45-<30

ASTB highly competitive = 7 7 7 & up
ASTB very competitive = 6 6 6 to 7 7 7
ASTB average to below = 6 6 6 & below

* This is only my opinion fron board results I have observed here the past couple of years. They also vary from board to board depending upon selection percentage..

*Other opinions may vary; i.e. YMMV!

BzB

Hope that helps a bit.

exNavyOffRec

First time poster, long time lurker here.

I was hoping to get some criticism, constructive or otherwise, from y'all on my kit i plan to submit for the October boards. My biggest issue is whether or not to retake the ASTB before or after the selection board.

24 yr old SNA applicant
Active Duty enlisted (E-3)
3.78 GPA -- Athletic Training from University of West Florida (Pensacola, FL)
ASTB- 59 6/6/7
4 LOR's (0-9 Ret), (0-6 Ret), (0-2 my current DIVO), (E-9 I work for).
-Various volunteer work shipboard and locally
-Captain of College Rugby team for 3 years
-Straight 10's on all Officer Appraisals

I don't have my ESWS yet but i'm working on it.

I really appreciate all the good info and advice y'all are willing to give out to the lowly Undes SN and thank you you in advance for any help you might lend in the future.

I wouldn't retake at this point as there is a 90 day wait, but I would study and prepare, when boards are somewhat competitive it is not common to see people picked with 6's.

Your CO is giving you a good recommendation without having ESWS? I have had a few CO's that made it quite clear that without a pin you would not get the best recommendation, their thoughts were you should be spending time earning your pin and learning your job, then apply.

exNavyOffRec

I got trip 6s and my recruiter says that that is competitive. I thought anything above a 5 was competitive. Is that correct?

Think of it this way, if the PFAR were like a grade, 4 would be failing, 5 would be just passing, so you should be shooting for 8's and 9's to make you stand out.

when boards were competitive 25-75% of all the applications that went to NRC from my NRD none were picked up with scores of 6 or below, I know some on this site that were during that time though.

Lancerr1

If it helps anybody benchmark where they'd like to be, I was a non-select for SNA in June with 61 OAR, 6 AQR, and 5 PFAR, GPA of 3.38. If it had come down to a decision though, I'm not a private pilot and my LOR's were only from "Friends" (No employers or professors). It was also a highly competitive board so here's to hoping the next one is a little more generous for everybody.