• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October/November SNA & SNFO Boards

RTI35

When you say astb... do you mean in general or PFAR and FOFAR? Thanks.

To add to this question, would the FOFAR score be meaningless for an SNA only applicant? I would imagine it has little to no bearing on selection, but who knows.

I was also told by my test administrator that for an SNA applicant, the OAR is not nearly as important as the PFAR; is there any truth to this?

Undes

First time poster, long time lurker here.

I was hoping to get some criticism, constructive or otherwise, from y'all on my kit i plan to submit for the October boards. My biggest issue is whether or not to retake the ASTB before or after the selection board.

24 yr old SNA applicant
Active Duty enlisted (E-3)
3.78 GPA -- Athletic Training from University of West Florida (Pensacola, FL)
ASTB- 59 6/6/7
4 LOR's (0-9 Ret), (0-6 Ret), (0-2 my current DIVO), (E-9 I work for).
-Various volunteer work shipboard and locally
-Captain of College Rugby team for 3 years
-Straight 10's on all Officer Appraisals

I don't have my ESWS yet but i'm working on it.

I really appreciate all the good info and advice y'all are willing to give out to the lowly Undes SN and thank you you in advance for any help you might lend in the future.

Sundevil106150

I was hoping to get some criticism, constructive or otherwise, from y'all on my kit i plan to submit for the October boards. My biggest issue is whether or not to retake the ASTB before or after the selection board.

24 yr old SNA applicant
ASTB- 59 6/6/7

I really appreciate all the good info and advice y'all are willing to give out to the lowly Undes SN and thank you you in advance for any help you might lend in the future.
Those scores seem more than fine in my opinion. NavyOffRec and Ruffio hold more say but since you are a prior, have a high GPA, and did well on the ASTB, there should be no reason why those scores are not competitive enough. There are people with low 40's and 5/6/5 that get picked up for SNA. A lot of it depends on how many slots are available as well for the upcoming Oct. board.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete

24 yr old SNA applicant
ASTB- 59 6/6/7

Your scores should be fine in my opinion, it would just depend on the number of slots available. It would seem that this is one of the boards number one concerns. Did you finish your degree prior to enlisting? If so, why didn't you apply for officer prior to joining? I was an enlisted recruiter for three years, and anytime we had an applicant that had a degree, they had to go see the officer recruiters, no matter what. Unless there were other factors that kept you from joining then, you should be fine now. And to add to that, you have plenty of time to get to OCS seeing as you are 24 years old. On that note, get your application submitted!

Pcola1990

24 yr old SNA applicant
ASTB- 59 6/6/7

Welcome to the thread. Good to see a fellow UWF grad on here.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with the posters above, go with what you have, your scores are better than many I've seen who were selected. Your LORs are very impressive.:)
BzB

Pcola1990

When are the deadlines for submitting your package to the board?

There is no set date for the board. They are held every 90-120 days, or sooner if they receive a lot of applications. However, @National OPO has told us that due to the approaching end of the 2014 fiscal year the next selection board will not be held until at least Oct 1st (which is the beginning of fiscal year 2015). From what has been said on different forums here it seems like you need to have your application submitted at least 2 weeks (a month is better) prior to the board being held in order for your application to actually be reviewed at that board.

Undes

Appreciate all the info gents. I'm going to mail out my kit mid Sept and then retake the ASTB if I'm a non-select. My ship is leaving in Jan 15 for deployment so I'm hoping to get selected before then.

Shout out to Pcola1990. Its good to see a flyer from my Alma Mater.