• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NWA 188: Airliner overshoots airport by 150 miles...

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
sorry...just a rant... I'm still a little bitter about the proposed ATP 121 F0 reqs.... yet no mention about the $1500/mo pay.

guess it's all in the spirit of change

The pay is "enough" by definition since guys continue to take it. As long as people accept fry-jockey wages to chase the carrot of eventual promotion to being a Captain at a major, the regionals will keep putting the stick in the same place...

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
The pay is "enough" by definition since guys continue to take it. As long as people accept fry-jockey wages to chase the carrot of eventual promotion to being a Captain at a major, the regionals will keep putting the stick in the same place...

Yup, I remember meeting this guy who was pumped about working for ASA and talked big about the big bucks he'd be making. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I kept his mouth shut. Seemed like he'd already launched a bunch of dough into learning anyways. Poor fool.

ryan1234

True - Pretty soon though it may even itself out. The road will be a lot more bumpy up to the four stripes. Less loans available will probably mean less CFI jobs - which in turn will mean less ways to meet the hour requirements - and hopefully a lesser supply of qualified pilots will be a slight raise in pay... maybe I don't really know.... In spite of it being the pilot's faults for accepting the jobs and wages... it just makes me a little mad to hear "experts" talk of everything.

Yup, I remember meeting this guy who was pumped about working for ASA and talked big about the big bucks he'd be making. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I kept his mouth shut. Seemed like he'd already launched a bunch of dough into learning anyways. Poor fool.

Just talking to someone that took out a huge loan at Riddle in the hopes of rolling in the dough and having a buncha 18 year old flight attendents hanging off his arms during a Paris layover..... I'm not sure how much dough he'll be seeing with a $1200/mo loan payment.

It's hard to believe that people still buy into the 0-hero programs for $80k (which you figure with interest will cost almost $100k)...all to make $21.50/hr and be "guaranteed" 70hrs a month.... with a probably furlough in your future.

Here is someone from another forum about to step into the abyss without listening to anyone:

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/flight-schools/44747-wheres-money.html

I did my crap without any loans and have been extremely lucky aviation job wise - can't imagine how it would be with a large loan payment at a regional.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Let's try to keep focused here, guys ... the thread is about NWA 188 and questions/comments emanating therein and mebbe 'lessons learned' ... it's not about regional F/O's, big loans that have to be paid back, and who gets paid what and why ...

*edit* Oh, did I mention, my computer is working fine now w/ Win7 ??? :sleep_125

ryan1234

David Letterman Monday night offered the Top Ten Northwest Airlines Pilot Excuses on CBS. (Here’s a link to the video.)

10. Bunch of fat guys seated on the right side of the plane made us vector east.
9. We get paid by the hour.
8. Mapquest always takes you the long way, am I right, people?
7. Tired of that show-off Sullenberger getting all the attention.
6. You try steering one of those airplanes after eight or nine cocktails.
5. Wanted to catch the end of the in-flight movie.
4. Activating autopilot and making occasional P.A. announcements is exhausting.
3. According to our map, we only missed our target by half an inch.
2. For a change, we decided to send luggage to the right city and lose the passengers.
And the Number One reason…

1. Thought we saw balloon boy

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The worst thing about this whole incident is the bashing by idiots in the media it inevitably generates with the resultant damage to the profession in the mind's-eye of the traveling public. We've seen it before when pilots have accidents ... pilots drink ... pilots make bad decisions ... pilots get arrested. What used to go unreported is now not only 'reported'; it becomes a media circus and an orgy of finger pointing. Letterman (while expected) is a fine example of someone judging anyone for anything. The negative fallout of this incident only serves to add additional fuel to the fire of those who think airline pilots are overpaid, under worked prima donas.

Lessons learned from this: complacency is a potentially dangerous thing and it's insidious temptations are always present -- in airline, civilian, or military flying. These guys succumbed to it and got bit in the butt, big time. These guys should lose their jobs and probably will ... their 'tickets' (certificates/licenses) should get suspended/revoked and probably will. These guys should not, however, get the death sentence. They are not criminals -- they had no criminal 'intent' ... they were just stupid ... incredibly stupid (is there any other kind?) & complacent.

All those who might read this and can attest to never having been stupid or complacent, please raise your hand.

"There but for the grace of God go many ... there but for the grace of God go I" ... keep repeating that phrase during the rest of your life when you feel the urge to vigorously criticize others -- especially when it's a 'were you there?' situation.

We occasionally see the 'exceptional' in the media and that gets it's 15 minutes of fame ... the Sullenberger (sp?) in the Hudson or the Al Haynes at Sioux Falls type of experience ... and they deserve the adulation & attention, however brief, that they receive from a fickle media. But what you never hear of or read about is the day-in, day-out, driving from Point A to B and back again, in any and all kinds of WX, in constantly changing situations and conditions that 'aren't in the book' that is the 'norm' of the airline pilots' existence.

You don't hear about that kinda' stuff ...

99 44/100% of airline jocks are professionals and take an immense amount of pride in their work -- and let's face it -- the job is very difficult to get even in the 'good times' when 'they're hiring' ... it is a rare bird that would not take his/her job seriously.

The piloting profession has suffered another black eye as a result of this incident. The only question is: how long will it take to heal ??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That was actually in Sioux City, Iowa. Sioux Falls is in South Dakota (bout 40 min from here)...

common error:icon_wink
:D
+1 ... see ... the potential for errors galore herein ... thanks for the correction.

Yeah, I shoulda' known the difference when I typed it ... Sioux Falls is where my internet bill paying service is home ported ... Sioux City is where I got my first landings on the 747 during my CAPT check-out ... RW 13 ... details, details.

I did NOT use my laptop during that bounce hop, however. :D

OBTW ... I was on the radio today re: this incident. :sleep_125

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Like somebody said :).... today, released from the Air Line Pilots Association:

Capt. John Prater, president of the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA), expressed grave concern about the release of information relating to Northwest Flight 188 before the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) completes its fact-gathering and investigation.

The release of information, even factually accurate information, before the investigatory process is permitted to work allows it to become sensationalized by the news media and distracts from the goal of accident investigation, which must be preventing future accidents and incidents,” said Prater. The action also undermines voluntary reporting programs that are proven to help make our already safe air transportation system even safer.”

Some of you in the past have wanted to know why we keep military accidents 'close to the vest' as well ... you know -- until all the information is in ... this is why; the same rationale and reasons apply.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A redacted copy of the pilot's ATP revocation letter from the FAA is making its way around various Navy email chains. Interesting read.

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A redacted copy of the pilot's ATP revocation letter from the FAA is making its way around various Navy email chains. Interesting read.

Brett
:eek::eek: Ouch. They didn't screw around.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
That's called getting your pee pee schwacked by the man. Government can move fast when it wants to.