• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NWA 188: Airliner overshoots airport by 150 miles...

LowWingLoad

"The Federal Aviation Administration said the crew told authorities they became distracted during a heated discussion over airline policy and lost track of their location."

Think someone in one of the two seats doesn't like how the senority list is gonna work now that they are Delta?

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
The Federal Aviation Administration said the crew told authorities they became distracted during a heated discussion over airline policy and lost track of their location.

For an hour and a half!!!!

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
It would've been a juicier story if the fighters had pulled up next to them. I'm surprised no passengers looked down at their watch and asked why they were running late.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
"The Federal Aviation Administration said the crew told authorities they became distracted during a heated discussion over airline policy and lost track of their location."

Think someone in one of the two seats doesn't like how the senority list is gonna work now that they are Delta?

For an hour and a half!!!!
i bet they fell asleep...the voice recorders will tell...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
distracted for 1.5? Kinda hard to believe. Good call on the sleep-at-the-wheel hypothesis. I'd say it's a good possibility. Even the biggest weight-on-ass-switch and helmet-fire sufferer probably wouldn't get THAT far off unless there was another explanation.

EDIT: After a thread a while ago discussing how airlines, to save money, plan fuel down to the pound just to take on FAA minimums to save weight... I wonder how much they carry in reserve, that they were able to make it to the destination after a large overshoot without running pretty low.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
I think the article claims they were NORDO for 1.5 hours and finally restored comms once they were 150 miles past. I guess the article claims they went NORDO somewhere inbetween starting airport and Minn.

slug

Either way, they should be fired, immediately.

The excuse they gave is even worse than falling asleep. You mean you were so emotionally buried in an argument and clueless that you flew 100 miles past your destination and repeatedly failed to answer ATC. Thank you for your BS, now give me your wings.

I've BS'd too long and missed securing a fuel transfer for about 2 mins, sometimes missed an ATC call, even nodded off on long quiet cross countries, never fully asleep, but overflying your destination is the definition of clueless.

If Northwest keeps these guys on, that will be one fewer airline that I will ride on.

VulcanRider

pilot
The article says that Denver center tried to hand them off, and couldn't contact them. I don't see how anyone can get so caught up in an argument and totally forget what they are supposed to be doing for an hour and a half. Sleeping sounds more reasonable.