• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NWA 188: Airliner overshoots airport by 150 miles...

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Review this related little "gem" posted about four months ago:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149276&page=2

Last post on page, #27
roflmao.gif

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The flight path graphic suggests variations on the whifferdill maneuver. :) :confused: :eek:
Actually ... the flight path is one typical of a 180 turnaround from their position when they supposedly 'woke up' and a RTB to MSP w/ a slide into the other arriving traffic and a routing into a landing to the north @ KMSP.

In fact ... the total flight time is only @ 30 and 20 minutes longer than some of the others the day prior and after, respectively ...

Still ... there's somethin' goin' on here ... :)

motocross736

all in all we have learned about north west airlines, their pilots get drunk or sleep and the auto pilot does the work. Delta airlines landed on a taxi way in the last few weeks and all of us pilots know how stupid that is. Delta also owns NWA, go figure

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
all in all we have learned about north west airlines, their pilots get drunk or sleep and the auto pilot does the work. Delta airlines landed on a taxi way in the last few weeks and all of us pilots know how stupid that is. Delta also owns NWA, go figure

This is great stuff ... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I've got another theory -- and it doesn't involve 'sleeping' nor 'arguing' ... we'll see how close I come ... :)

Yeah, I know that's a 'teaser', but that's all I'm gonna speculate about 'my theory' until I get more info ... :)

The worst thing is they have probably lied up to this point ... and lying's always what costs you the job in the end ...

millerjd

Stayin' alive
New Update from the NTSB e-mail list. Apparently they were busy with their..... laptops.

(Excerpt)
[FONT=&quot]* Both stated there was a distraction in the cockpit. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The pilots said there was a concentrated period of [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]discussion where they did not monitor the airplane or [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]calls from ATC even though both stated they heard [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]conversation on the radio. Also, neither pilot noticed [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]messages that were sent by company dispatchers. They [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]were discussing the new monthly crew flight scheduling [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]system that was now in place as a result of the [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]merger. The discussion began at cruise altitude. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Both said they lost track of time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Each pilot accessed and used his personal laptop [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]computer while they discussed the airline crew flight [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]scheduling procedure. The first officer, who was more [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]familiar with the procedure was providing instruction [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]to the captain. The use of personal computers on the [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]flight deck is prohibited by company policy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Neither pilot was aware of the airplane's position [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]until a flight attendant called about 5 minutes before [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]they were scheduled to land and asked what was their [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]estimated time of arrival (ETA). The captain said, at [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]that point, he looked at his primary flight display [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]for an ETA and realized that they had passed MSP. They [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]made contact with ATC and were given vectors back to [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]MSP.
[/FONT]

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a feeling it was something like that. A 'heated discussion' has to get pretty damn heated before both guys in the cockpit drop their scan pattern completely. But fucking around with a laptop? Yeah, I can see that.

These guys have both been insisting that there weren't any safety-of-flight issues with what they did, and have been trying their best to insist everyone laugh it off as a silly mistake. I know the airlines are big on CRM...shit, they invented CRM...it boggles my mind to think that the crew in question really might not see why everyone is getting so heated about this.

Why is it a bad idea for everyone in the cockpit to be fucking around with something that's not flying the plane? I refer you to EAL Flight 401, Dec '72.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Why is it a bad idea for everyone in the cockpit to be fucking around with something that's not flying the plane? I refer you to EAL Flight 401, Dec '72.

My mom was scheduled to fly that flight (she was an Eastern flight attendant on the L1011), but her schedule changed earlier that day. She ended up flying the opposite leg, out of Miami, flight 400 I think. She lost a few friends on 401. Crazy twist of fate.