• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next step Skynet....Manned vs Unmanned Aviation

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"At-sea carrier demonstration tests are expected to be completed by the end of fiscal 2013."

I'll be right out of flight school, I hope I won't have to compete with uvas for my job.

Don't look now, but UAVs may well be your job...:D

All kidding aside. P-3 community got spooked by BAMS (Broad Area Maritime Surveillance) Unmanned Aerial Vehicle "threat", but answer will be manned P-8 (110ish or so) and BAMS. Pointy nosed drivers (and aspirants) got spooked or are getting spooked by prospect of UCAS-D replacing a Hornet squadron on the flight deck. Looks like air ambulance helos are next, but ultimately it will be a combination of manned and unmanned assets, but remember, there is a human in the loop (sometimes more than one) for all UAV/UCAV systems soooo you may be doing both before you're done. Maybe deplying for manned cockpit and doing a ground station stint for shore duty. That said, it would suck to be deployed as an aviator and flying missions from the Ready Room if that ends up being the CONOPS.