• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next step Skynet....Manned vs Unmanned Aviation

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can only imagine the kind of rivalries and friction going on between the UAV pilots and the conventional pilots in the USAF.

You're assuming they are separate communities when they aren't exactly that. They're taking combat rated F-16 and F-15 pilots for their experience for a tour in Predators. Not all stay there. Navy tends to keep aviators in same community whereas that is not always the case in USAF. Guard units tend to stay with same platform and folks can go their whole career in a single platform and unit like the Maryland A-10 gang, but others may transition form time to time. Just ask Swanee about his favorite F-16 turned A-10 unit at Syracuse. The Guard will be picking up some Predator units and those folks will be a UAV community; likely for the long term. But remember, to meet FAA restrictions in particular, USAF mandates rated aviators at the controls (unlike Army) so they have to come from a cockpit and ideally one where they pulled a trigger. Question is whether they return to one after their initial tour.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]"It's an attack squadron, with a lot more kinetic ability."

Good one.
[/FONT]

skidz

adrenaline junky
Why don't they use this technology on more straight and level flying like their -135s and -17s?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Not quite. UCAS-D is a UCAV that is coming out of the truncated J-UCAS program that is a high end UCAV comparable to speed, range and payload to exsting TACAIR. The Air Force was "driving" the J-UCAS effort, but pulled out after their variant, the X-45 flew. The Navy's variant, the X-47, is now competing with the X-45 for the UCAS-D award this fall. This is a whole level above the Predator and will be capable of flight deck operations potentially replaced manned aircraft in the carrier air wing. That Ready Room will be interesting to see and how CO and pilots integrate into air wing.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Not quite. UCAS-D is a UCAV that is coming out of the truncated J-UCAS program that is a high end UCAV comparable to speed, range and payload to exsting TACAIR. The Air Force was "driving" the J-UCAS effort, but pulled out after their variant, the X-45 flew. The Navy's variant, the X-47, is now competing with the X-45 for the UCAS-D award this fall. This is a whole level above the Predator and will be capable of flight deck operations potentially replaced manned aircraft in the carrier air wing. That Ready Room will be interesting to see and how CO and pilots integrate into air wing.

Do you know if they plan on extending that program more toward the Pilot or NFO? Will it be an option at flight school or will they only use fleet aviators?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you know if they plan on extending that program more toward the Pilot or NFO? Will it be an option at flight school or will they only use fleet aviators?

Really good question and I do not know the answer, but I'll see if I can find out.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And the UCAV pilot and/or NFO "drivers" will be a great addition to any Liberty party, too .... :) .... bottoms up!!!

geeknp1.jpg

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
...This is a whole level above the Predator and will be capable of flight deck operations potentially replaced manned aircraft in the carrier air wing. That Ready Room will be interesting to see and how CO and pilots integrate into air wing.

God I hope they whole airwing dosn't go unmanned. Naval Aviation's cool factor would take a power dive.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
In the end, unmanned will be cheaper than manned. That will drive a lot of decisions in what aviators think of as unfortunate directions.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
In the end, unmanned will be cheaper than manned. That will drive a lot of decisions in what aviators think of as unfortunate directions.

Understood. But still, I didn't join the World's Finest Navy to fly "toasters." (Sorry for the geeky SciFi reference).

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I try not to be the guy who is happy because he already "got his". But UAVs can make that hard sometimes when you picture military aviation 20 years down the road....