• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next step Skynet....Manned vs Unmanned Aviation

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We all know what happens..
Image:Terminator2poster.jpg

Attachments

• Terminator2poster.jpg
    Terminator2poster.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 30

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
...I could send manned planes home

I dunno about Air Force culture and deployment cycles, but I couldn't imagine their pilots would be too happy with giving up flight time to some dude in a shack in Nevada.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dunno about Air Force culture and deployment cycles, but I couldn't imagine their pilots would be too happy with giving up flight time to some dude in a shack in Nevada.

They well might have be that dude in the shack at Creech :eek:

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Do the "pilots" of these craft wear wings of some sort?

Wait, don't answer that. It's the Air Force...of course they do. Probably pulling in flight pay as well.

I will say that "Reaper" is a pretty cool freakin' name...not sure how it got past the PC crowd.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do the "pilots" of these craft wear wings of some sort?

Wait, don't answer that. It's the Air Force...of course they do. Probably pulling in flight pay as well.

I will say that "Reaper" is a pretty cool freakin' name...not sure how it got past the PC crowd.

Air Force is treating Predator and Global Hawk pilot "seats" like any other assignment for pilots and all are rated aviators so there are F-16, F-15, etc. pilots flying them. Note: a rated aviator can be a Nav type (ie WSO). So instead of going to a cockpit in an aircraft, there might be a cockpit in a room at Creech AFB (or elsewhere) awaiting a USAF pilot/nav and before long the Guard as well.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Really? So I wonder if I could telecommute and be a Predator pilot. I picture me in sweats at my desk in the sun room, sipping some coffee and flying the UAV on a mission while I try to watch the kids.

"Leave the dog alone...and keep it down! Daddy's flying an important mission!":)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? So I wonder if I could telecommute and be a Predator pilot. I picture me in sweats at my desk in the sun room, sipping some coffee and flying the UAV on a mission while I try to watch the kids.

"Leave the dog alone...and keep it down! Daddy's flying an important mission!":)

LOL...that would work except you'd have to turn your sun room into a SCIF

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!

You could start practicing now using MSFS. :D

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Air Force is treating Predator and Global Hawk pilot "seats" like any other assignment for pilots and all are rated aviators so there are F-16, F-15, etc. pilots flying them. Note: a rated aviator can be a Nav type (ie WSO). So instead of going to a cockpit in an aircraft, there might be a cockpit in a room at Creech AFB (or elsewhere) awaiting a USAF pilot/nav and before long the Guard as well.

Syracuse is slated to get Reapers starting in 2011, I believe they will be the first ANG squadron to get them. They may start losing their F-16s as early as next year. There are a lot of Viper pilots who aren't too happy about the idea of transitioning to an armchair and a playstation. The low hour guys will probably go to another F-16 squadron, the older guys will retired, but those Senior O-3s, O-4s and young O-5s are pretty much stuck.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The Global Hawk guy on the Joint Staff was a former HC guy, went to instruct at Vance and joined the USAF reserves after getting out to fly when not flying for the airlines. After being laid off by his major he went active and became a Global Hawk guy, just got his call back from his airline earlier this year but is going to stick out the last 5 years until retiring from the USAF.

Several of the USAF Prowler pilots were given a choice of flying Predators or Prowlers. One told me that they had to think about it.........:confused:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Global Hawk guy on the Joint Staff was a former HC guy, went to instruct at Vance and joined the USAF reserves after getting out to fly when not flying for the airlines. After being laid off by his major he went active and became a Global Hawk guy, just got his call back from his airline earlier this year but is going to stick out the last 5 years until retiring from the USAF.

Several of the USAF Prowler pilots were given a choice of flying Predators or Prowlers. One told me that they had to think about it.........:confused:

Several of the Creech Predator guys (0-5s) are Navy "transplants" either having been caught in airline hiring woes or wanting not to deploy. They went over as JOs and 0-4s and several have now commanded squadrons. Predator guys get a lot of action (at the console) and even get medals for their efforts. Your acquaintances might have had to think about it because it's looking to be a high viz career and potentially more rewarding career wise.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Several of the Creech Predator guys (0-5s) are Navy "transplants" either having been caught in airline hiring woes or wanting not to deploy. They went over as JOs and 0-4s and several have now commanded squadrons. Predator guys get a lot of action (at the console) and even get medals for their efforts. Your acquaintances might have had to think about it because it's looking to be a high viz career and potentially more rewarding career wise.

I know a Marine O-5 Harrier guy who transplanted to a UAV squadron (Predators I think, but I don't know) a few years ago. He said he misses the real flying but it was one of the best career decisions he made as it pretty much guaranteed him at least one star if he didn't fvck up.

Plus he said he doesn't mind those girls sunning themselves that happen to show up in the recon photos while planning an amphib assault on some beach.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I can only imagine the kind of rivalries and friction going on between the UAV pilots and the conventional pilots in the USAF.