• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Working Uniforms

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I realize that seeing the rank is easy for flight suits, Type I’s, etc., but if you have ever worked in a predominantly Type III environment where folks also wear badge lanyards around their necks, you will know what I am talking about.

I would never wesr a ball cap with a flight suit. Only talking about for Type IIIs, really.
Command ball caps are provided by your command. Nobody is paying out of pocket for them.
My unit must be the exception. It’s $20 cash.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe a reserve thing, or they just don’t know what they’re doing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maybe a reserve thing, or they just don’t know what they’re doing.

The only time I've ever been at a command where the hat was given versus I had to buy it was on a ship, and that was because you had to "earn" the cover (know the ship's robust history and namesake). Otherwise, I've always had to pay for it.

I will give you that the enlisted usually got their first one for free, but on the O side, not so much.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I realize that seeing the rank is easy for flight suits, Type I’s, etc., but if you have ever worked in a predominantly Type III environment where folks also wear badge lanyards around their necks, you will know what I am talking about.
If someone is wearing Type III with a lanyard and badge, they are either: A) Indoors, and you don't need to worry about their rank, or B) Outdoors and out of uniform, and you also don't need to worry about their rank.

I really do love the dual importance attached to someone who needs to wear camouflage to hide from from the enemy while simultaneously wearing a lanyard and badge to announce their importance and access. (I get it, local uniform instructions. Just know that we're laughing with you, not at you.....probably)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've never been in a command where officers/aviators wear ball caps until my current squadron. And yes, I bought my first one, lost it immediately, bought my second one specifically for one function, and wore it exactly that one time. I also bought a whole set of NWU's for one specific function and ended up wearing them 0 times. I don't even know where they are anymore, last I saw them was 2014. I'd have to look at my mess bill to know what the price was for either hat, but $20 doesn't sound that unrealistic. I hate ball caps in uniform. It's probably a good option for folks who wear NWU's or type III's, but both of those uniforms are abominations IMO. If only we had a uniform, called coveralls, that both 1) were a useful uniform, and 2) looked 100000 times sharper than NWU's, and 3) we also already had them in the inventory and in people's wardrobes........

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I wore a Command ballcap with my bag in every Navy command (squadrons and ships) after winging through retirement at CNAF. I think I wore my khaki cover in my Air Force squadrons at Vance and Randolph.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I wore a Command ballcap with my bag in every Navy command (squadrons and ships) after winging through retirement at CNAF. I think I wore my khaki cover in my Air Force squadrons at Vance and Randolph.

Might just be random luck for me, or it might be community specific trends. That being said, I have never been in a VFA squadron with a greenie board, which is probably also a statistical anomaly.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Might just be random luck for me, or it might be community specific trends. That being said, I have never been in a VFA squadron with a greenie board, which is probably also a statistical anomaly.

Definitely random luck, especially the second part. Did the Valions do away with their greenie board after I left? We had one on the 2009 and 2011 cruises...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Definitely random luck, especially the second part. Did the Valions do away with their greenie board after I left? We had one on the 2009 and 2011 cruises...
I forgot we cruised together. :) You know Stray was one of my DHs?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If someone is wearing Type III with a lanyard and badge, they are either: A) Indoors, and you don't need to worry about their rank, or B) Outdoors and out of uniform, and you also don't need to worry about their rank.

I really do love the dual importance attached to someone who needs to wear camouflage to hide from from the enemy while simultaneously wearing a lanyard and badge to announce their importance and access. (I get it, local uniform instructions. Just know that we're laughing with you, not at you.....probably)
Copy all. I agree that command ball caps for a ship look classic. The ones I've seen for some shore commands are, well, less classic.
1305375413_crimson-tide-movie-02.jpg
zoo.jpg< notional

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Yes, we did, though the remnants of your previous greenie board lived at the bottom of a random whiteboard in the ready room. It looked like it was much less than the entire squadron who participated (cough2hingescough), though maybe there was an actual board you guys had that I never saw. But yes, throughout workups and deployment, we didn't waste our time with such things. Turns out the real colorful/scary passes pretty much entirely came from our sister squadrons, who did have greenie boards. Coincidence? I'd argue it was not.