• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New To Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goliath112

hey guys just for fyi. NON-PO means not a Petty officer yet. E-1 thru E3. also they most definitely would issue a red sticker, if they even issued you one at all.

yes you do pay taxes. you see the BDCP isn't a real scholarship, its more like they put you on the payroll as an E3. now you don't pay taxes on all of your paycheck, they exclude BAS (Basic Allowance for Subsistence aka chow money) BAH (housing allowance) thats about 850-1200 dollars depending on your location.

man the wait is killing me

JayManC

OK I was just curious about the ID thing, and the base sticker, I know a few NROTC kids, and theyve got ID's that say OC/STDT and when they registered their cars, were issued blue (officer) stickers.

<insert something witty here:>

navy101

I was issued a red sticker. Tali, I was told that I would be going to OCS the first week of May, but yesterday I called my recruiter to get an official date and he said I was to far out for them to give me a date. Who told you your OCS date? Is their someone else I can call to get my date? I am graduating in april 28th if that info helps.

tali264

Navy101 - I got an e-mail from the secretary at NRD Omaha, that said:

Hi Beth,
Your OCS date has been changed to 31 May 03. This date is always subject to change.

AZ1(AW) SUSAN NICODEMUS
NRD OMAHA OFFICER PROCESSOR

Yes I kept it....just to have proof in case something weird happened.

Notice how it said "your date has been changed".. well nobody ever gave me one to begin with, that was the first I heard of it. I think it changed because I switched from NFO to pilot. So maybe just call someone at your NRD and ask. You're BDCP, right? I assume they'll send you as soon as possible. I only have about 2 weeks from when I graduate till when I have to check in.... they don't want to waste any more money than necessary on you sitting around
icon_smile.gif

jaznups

Another question...

How long do they pay you for bdcp? I'm just wondering because my recruiter told me he wanted me to start getting paid ASAP. I figured that BDCP can't be that different than the CEC program except that I don't have to take the ASTB. Isn't the limit of pay 2 years before you go to OCS? My recuiter made it seem like it would be longer than that because I still have another 2.5 years before I receive my BS.

Jaz

tali264

Nope, not two years. I started right before the second semester of my sophomore year, so I'll have 2.5 years when I'm done. I think that's the limit, but don't quote me on that.

solenita72

SWO Wife
My husband became BDCP in July of 99. The id issue was always a weird one because they didn't know what to do with us! Ours said NON-PO in the begining, but because my husband was considered Naval Reserves Active Duty, (under his BDCP, not sure everyone in this program is) our ID's always said ROTC, even though he wan't. Go figure. The told us that there was no other way to do his id. He ended up being an E-5 for the last year after he graduated and went into OCS. If you intend to use medical benefits you need an ID. But, we have always had blue stickers and not red ones, and we have bought/sold 5 cars since he got in and have had to go there several times, but we always get the same stickers. And yes, we get saluted each time going through the gate.

NuSnake

The person who makes the ID must be familiar with the BDCP program or they think youre crazy. I had to wait an hour and a half until the guy who knew everything came back, it sucks but you get all your benefits as an Active Duty member. But I still got a red sticker...

jaznups

Solenita where are you from? And can anyone tell me what "black saturday is?"
It sounds kind of frightening...

jaz

jaznups

Oh One more thing...

How long after acceptance did you all swear in? I was just wondering because if my processing takes long enough I might actually be studying abroad in London and my recruiter was telling me how I would need to be debriefed yatta yatta about terrorism and my travel plans and more blah...
(This is when he started getting technical and I just said okay. :-P ) I was wondering if I could be sworn in while in a different country if that's where my enrollment pattern placed me? Or will this be more of a hassle than it's worth? This is all based on the hope that I will be accepted for CEC going to OCS sometime after June 2005

Jaz

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by JayManC
OK I was just curious about the ID thing, and the base sticker, I know a few NROTC kids, and theyve got ID's that say OC/STDT and when they registered their cars, were issued blue (officer) stickers.

<insert something witty here:>

That's because they ARE OC/MIDN and rate it, and the blue sticker. Just becaue you have been accepted to a commissioning program (any program) doesn't mean you are an OC or MIDN. I know you may take an oath, but you haven't been sworn in/indoc'ed (or whatever is done in OCS) as an OC yet. I would imagine a few are going to come back and correct me on the techicalities of their contract that they sign and that they ARE sworn in, but my point is that you are still a "pre-" candidate.

FYI, OC's in NROTC (the ECP's) rate a blue sticker as well, even though they still hold their rate and paygrade. I know, it's weird...

jaznups

Yea I figured that out by going back to last year's posts... Sounds like FuN!!
*sarcastically I laugh*

well I have many more years to go so no need to worry now... I guess I should think more when I get there :-p

Jaz

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

DDriver

Hi
How does BDCP works?
What are the eligibility/requirements for this program?
Can one be secured a spot say NFO if accepted through this route for commissioning?

Ed

JGalus

You guys need to remember some of the other benefits that come with an ID card, like free medical and dental and all of the businesses such as hotels, car rentals, and musuems that give military discounts by just showing the little green piece of plastic. Along with these things, once you are on the program I would advise all of you to get in on the military thrift savings plan. It is nice having someone invest for you and you can now even enroll over the web.

Jamie
BDCP (SWO)
(Sgt, USMC 91-99)

Status
Not open for further replies.